1. 2MB
    Hi,

I have a monochromatic 2MB visor so I lack the technology to view cleartype on the new WordSmith and the memory to keep it in.

All I ask of a Word Processor is two things.

(1) That I can take notes in class with basic formatting (I don't even need tabs or bullets).

(2) That I can transfer documents between MS Word on my Mac and the word processor easily (or relatively easily--through some sort of conversion program or something).

Before I spend $39.95 on WordSmith 1.12, does anyone have any suggestions as to another good word processor?

Thanks!
    hmm...

I would first of all highly recommend Wordsmith. I can't vouche for its macability, but I was under the impression they have a mac conduit.

If you sync often, you should be able to run wordsmith, the organizer functions, and maybe a few other basic apps, games etc. this would introduce file management to your visor though.

Another option would be get wordsmith and a memory expansion module of some sort. This once again would introduce file management to your visor, but would be still be cheaper than getting an 8meg Visor.

I can't say enough about wordsmith though, and I expect 2.0 will suit your needs even better than the current version, as tabs come in handy for taking quick notes with a keyboard. Formatting support overall has been improved in 2.0.

-Kg
    Though I don't know about the new version, the older one did not have a Mac conduit. Instead, there is a conversion utility which is used to change PDB files to RTF's for use with any desktop word processor and most text editors (and vice-versa to put docs on your Visor).
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    hmm. was that the "mac support" implemented in there last update (pre-2.0)

also how was the conversion utility implemented?

thanks,
    Kg
    The conversion utility is a little 276K application for the Mac which, when run, asks you to either pick a file to convert or quit.
    If you select an RTF it'll make a PDB copy; if a PDB, it makes an RTF copy. Simple, really. Then you just add the PDB to your next sync to move it over.

2MB, I thought about your need in the past few hours and I'm wondering if some sort of MemoPad without the character limit would work?
    I'm not using anything like that, but it might be something to investigate.

The only other WP apps I know of are TealDoc and TakeNote!; TealDoc is $17 and TakeNote is $40 (the same as WordSmith, so no help there).

It would be nice if a Doc reader like CSpotRun had editing capabilities, but I'm unaware of any.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Originally posted by 2MB
    Hi,

I have a monochromatic 2MB visor so I lack the technology to view cleartype on the new WordSmith and the memory to keep it in.

All I ask of a Word Processor is two things.

(1) That I can take notes in class with basic formatting (I don't even need tabs or bullets).

(2) That I can transfer documents between MS Word on my Mac and the word processor easily (or relatively easily--through some sort of conversion program or something).

Before I spend $39.95 on WordSmith 1.12, does anyone have any suggestions as to another good word processor?

Thanks!
    I don't know what you mean by basic formatting (for me, that's just a few judiciously placed carriage returns ) but a simple doc editor, like ZDoc, should do fine. If you want to center, tab, bold, or italicize, or do anything like that, you'll probably have to turn to something like WordSmith or Documents To Go.

BTW, I think WordSmith is still available for the "introductory" price of $29.95.
    Also not sure how much formatting you need, but if you don't need on-screen bold,underline,italics, etc., you may want to take a look at the pedit family. It started as a memopad replacement and has grown to something incredible. One version can handle files up to 32k and one sticks with 4k memopad-compatible files but has an internal system for linking them together. Look at www.paulcomputing.com and check out the peditors forum on yahoo groups. There are also a number of reviews on Palmgear.
    Originally posted by Yorick
    Though I don't know about the new version, the older one did not have a Mac conduit. Instead, there is a conversion utility which is used to change PDB files to RTF's for use with any desktop word processor and most text editors (and vice-versa to put docs on your Visor).
    The WordSmith 1.12 ships with a Macintosh Conduit. From the Blue Nomad Website:

* Mac OS Conduit: WordSmith now includes a bi-directional synchronization conduit for Mac OS!

Since I'm assuming by "basic formatting" you mean bold, italics, etc., I'd recommend you go with WordSmith. It just works, without handstands and monkey-business on your part.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    FYI - in case you didn't know, WordSmith will run from a Flash Module.
    "Attitudes are contagious... Is YOURS worth catching?"