Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone had the guts to try this out?

The Versamail update for the Centro worked pretty well for our 755p, there is a good chance it may work for us again.

I dont think Palm plans to update our Sprint 755p's anymore, dont you agree? From Palm's body language it seems they have stopped working on 755p.
    !ust my opinion, but I've got a feeling that you'd brick that sucker if you tried the update on the 755. Don't get me wrong. If we could run the update on our 755p's I'd do it without question.

Anyone else wagering a guess on this one?
    I read where many 700 users applied the 755 update successfully. It took a bit of work though. Hopefully we can do the same with the centro update.
    Sweet! Ill be looking forward to it if at all possible.
  5.    #5  
    haha no takers yet

i am thinking of doing it because i have a replacement 755p on the way. Might as well do it before i send of my old one.

But wait... i will be picking up the phone in-store so i would not be able to do it... bummer....
    let us know how things go, bulls. If it turns out you can do the deed, we'll give it a shot too.
    The 700 and 755 were almost identical hardware if not exactly the same hardware. I don't think the centro is using the same hardware as the 755.
    Somebody do it already. lol I want to try it, but I'm afraid of having to shell out the $50 replacement (don't think that tampering with firmware is under Palm's already crappy warranty)
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    The 700 and 755 were almost identical hardware if not exactly the same hardware. I don't think the centro is using the same hardware as the 755.
    I am pretty sure they are identical...the specs look the same, the 755 is just a different form factor.

I second the pleads. Lets get a "chef" to do their thing and get us 755p owners a "centro"
    I think we can get an " amen " on that one. If we get the go ahead on this, its bombs away.

Palm's website states that this update is only to be done on the centro, but as others have said, the 755 and centro are nearly identical. Besides the obvious difference in hardware size, they are virtually the same.

I don't understand why "my location" can't be enabled on the 755. That's irritating. The phone is more expensive yet is held back in that area?

That just doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by logmein; 07/24/2008 at 10:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    I think we can get an " amen " on that one. If we get the go ahead on this, its bombs away.

Palm's website states that this update is only to be done on the centro, but as others have said, the 755 and centro are nearly identical. Besides the obvious difference in hardware size, they are virtually the same.

I don't understand why "my location" can't be enabled on the 755. That's irritating. The phone is more expensive yet is held back in that area?

That just doesn't make sense.
    Yeah, i actually tried to download and run the Centro update on my 755p, just for curiousity's sake. Right after execution, the update program immediately stopped and stated "your device is not compatible with this update"....which I figured would happen....so, hoping to see some creativity on this soon.
    Just like it states you gotta plug it in to a charger and when you do not do so, it goes no further. This is the first update I have done with the charger plugged in.
  13. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    ...will combine the 755 update with the Centro update and make it work...
    Cheers

Charles
    I just think its pretty damn lousy that a single feature like "my location" can't be installed on the 755. What is so different about the 755 that won't allow this upgrade? It was the flagship device for palm and the more expensive upgrade. Why should it be less capable than the centro which is an entry level phone running exactly the same garnet palm os? Wtf?

Seriously. This makes absolutely no sense. Pardon the rant.
    They sell more Centros so it's higher priority to them.

Doesn't have to do with differences in the hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    I just think its pretty damn lousy that a single feature like "my location" can't be installed on the 755. What is so different about the 755 that won't allow this upgrade? It was the flagship device for palm and the more expensive upgrade. Why should it be less capable than the centro which is an entry level phone running exactly the same garnet palm os? Wtf?

Seriously. This makes absolutely no sense. Pardon the rant.
    I feel the same way. This should be on the Treo.
    So they could, in fact, have made the feature available on the 755, they've just cut the support line to the 755, so to speak, because it isn't as much of a success as the centro. If I understand it correctly, there's nothing in the software preventing it from happening, simply a refusal by palm to improve the experience on their 755p's?

Well, whatever. Folks, looks like palm stuck it to us yet again. Hilarious, really.

Hopefully, someone will get creative with a custom rom, as I am not a software engineer ( otherwise I would do it myself and post it here for the 755 peeps )
    Last edited by logmein; 07/24/2008 at 09:08 PM.
    Here Here! The 755p was (and still is) marketed as the 'business' PalmOS phone. I (like most) paid a premium over the Centro. What thanks have we got from Palm? One firmware update, no apps update while the $99 Centro users get all of these. Thanks for nothing Palm!
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    This makes me mad. The 755p may be my last palm. Their support leaves something to be desired. I was looking forward to this GPS thingy since the 300, yes it was promised on that device as well. No support for Vista 64 either. Boo palm,
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    755p has been getting screwed on updates for a really, really long time...

Stupid move imo.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast