1.    #1  
    Can anybody answer definitively if the Centro can handle the 8 GB micro SDHC? When they come out, will it be able to handle 16 GB and 32 GB?
    Jeff Wilder, San Francisco Bay Area
    "I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'" - Buffy Summers

Quote Originally Posted by wilder_jw View Post
    Can anybody answer definitively if the Centro can handle the 8 GB micro SDHC? When they come out, will it be able to handle 16 GB and 32 GB?
    I have had an 8gig SanDisk card for months and working well.
    Supposedly the Centro can handle up to 32GB microSDHC:
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1877-1.htm

Note that Kingston cards are notorious for not working well with the Centro:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=165594
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJSunDevil View Post
    Supposedly the Centro can handle up to 32GB microSDHC:
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1877-1.htm
    Yeah, that's why I asked for confirmation. Despite what's said in the article, the Centro cannot currently access microSDHC up to 32 GB ... because microSDHC to 32 GB doesn't exist yet.

Given the ambiguity of the claim in the article, I was wondering if anybody had hard information as to whether the Centro actually will be able to access those cards (16 and 32 GB) when they're released.

8GB Sandisk here as well - no problems.
    I am planning to get a 4GB or 8GB sd card for my Centro but the ones that are sold are all SDHC cards. I've been trying to read the posts to see if these cards work on the Centros but I still don't understand whether it will work immediately as soon as I pop it in my phone. I don't have a card reader on my laptop so if I need to reformat this SDHC card in order to work in my phone, then I couldn't buy these. Can someone explain or confirm this for me?

Thanks a bunch.
    Cutiebunny.
    White GSM Centro
    Currently using 2GB MicroSD card
  7.    #7  
    Yes, a 4 GB microSDHC card will work in the Centro, as will (according to replies up-thread) the 8 GB microSDHC.

As far as I'm aware, cards are sold formatted, so you shouldn't have a problem simply installing it in your Centro and using it. In most cases, you should be able to get a bundled USB card-reader with the card you purchase (this will add very little, if anything to the price), and I recommend it. Although there are other solutions, the simplest way to load a card with music, video, photos, and apps is still via a card-reader and your computer's USB port.

Thanks for you explanation, wilder_jw. Now all I need is to look into a card reader as you've recommended. I need a bigger SD card because I have CallRec now and I don't want to run out of space just in case I forgot to delete some files.

I have a puny 2 GB MicroSD card, and it works very well. A buddy of mine got a 4 GB MicroSDHC. If I remember correctly, he said it would not work until after he had reformatted it as non-HC, and apparently there is a utility to do this.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    The Centro supports SDHC cards up to 4GB OFFICIALLY. Unofficially, 8gb (and larger, in theory) cards work but the Garnet OS sees the larger cards as separate 4gb blocks. Most apps can access all of the data on the card, but the card info utility freaks out with file volumes larger than 4 gigs.

That is, if you have an 8GB card and 5GB is used, it'll say that ~1GB is in use and ~3GB remain free.

So basically, either stay right under 4GB of files or go past it and you'll be ok.

Finally, Kingston cards (both microSDHC & miniSDHC) cards are indeed notoriously picky. I'd personally go with Sandisk for reliability at a higher price or Patrior or Transcend for the best bang for the buck.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I've had similar issues with a MicroSDHC version, but a regular Kingston MicroSD card works just fine.

Anyone notice a real difference between card speeds and performance in the Centro? I've got a class 2 Sandisk card and was wondering if a faster one would do anything.
    I have a class 4 8GB Sandisk and it is kind of slow at loading Mobile XT while driving. In map browsing mode it is pretty quick though.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    The SD card bus on Palm devices is still AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $limited$ $to$ $1$-$bit$ $speeds$, $so$ $the$ $device$ $really$ $cannot$ $even$ $saturate$ $a$ $Class$ $2$ $card$, $much$ $less$ $a$ $Class$ $6$ $card$.

However, the price difference is so small nowadays that if you ever dump any files onto your card from a PC's card reader, the extra speeds on a Class 6 card will come in VERY handy.

There's more of a noticable jump going from Class 2 to Class 4 then from 4 to 6 in real world usage, IMO. Some digital cameras with 30gps video recording require a Class 4 or better card.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I just received the new SanDisk 16GB MicroSDHC card, and it seems to work fine like the SanDisk 8GB card I was using up until know. As before, Palm's Card Info app only sees the card as a 3GB capacity, but other apps like pTunes can access the entire 16GB of music I just loaded.

Sweet.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Odd - mine only sees 4gb of 8gb card.
    Quote Originally Posted by hotkey View Post
    Odd - mine only sees 4gb of 8gb card.
    Palm OS Garnet officially only supports 4GB so it will only tell you it is a 4GB card.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Palm OS Garnet officially only supports 4GB so it will only tell you it is a 4GB card.
    Nice... no firmware update available to fix that?
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hotkey View Post
    Nice... no firmware update available to fix that?
    For many (but not all) apps this is a *display* issue, not a functional issue. This means you can load your heavy disk hog data like GPS maps and movies from your PC and the apps will read them fine even in the 8GB range. However when you display how much free space is available, it will be wrong.
    I have about 6.8gb used on my 8gb card and palm os says I got 1gb of 4gb free on the card so it will always be off but you can always sitck it in a card reader and see the real free space.