Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has there been any more talk about a national release of the Sprint Airave?

The last I heard was July 15th, but that obviously has come and past without the release.

Palm IIIc - Palm m515 -Palm Tungsten E2 - Palm Treo 755p
    I called Sprint to inquire; The CSR seemed knowledgeable; he told me that they pushed out he release date to Aug. 18. I complained, since it's been close to a year since making it available to limited areas.

He also went over the costs: $15, unlimited for 1 line, $30 for family plan. Unsure on the cost of the Airave itself. I also complained on why I should be paying to improve the service, when I'm in the middle of a large metropolitan area. So he upped my family plan from 800 mins to 1000, and lowered my monthly cost by $20 to offset the cost for the Airave service.
  3.    #3  
    Great! Thanks for the update!

Last I heard the Airave was going to cost about 100 bucks and there wasn't a monthly fee if you used your monthly minutes and there was only a monthly fee if you wanted unlimited minutes though the Airave, is that still expected to be true?

From what I have read elsewhere that seems to be true, except the price. Not sure exactly what the charge will be in the case you (like me) won't be needing the unlimited minutes. I have heard $5 a month. But then again, they might be nice enough to give you a discount to compensate.

BTW- Non-Sprint CDMA phones will be able to roam on the Airave, subject to their home carrier's roaming policies and their phone settings to allow or force roaming onto the Sprint 1900mHz network.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    More information at this thread: http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...140231&page=71

Release date actually Aug. 17, but some appear to be able to sign up before than. It's not clear; I think the Sprint reps are not giving consistent information. Some saying the device is $49, others saying $99, while others saying the cost has not been announced.

Cost for the service appears to be:
    $4.99/mo Enhanced coverage (REQUIRED FOR AIRAVE)
    $10/mo for single line unlimited (REQUIRED FOR AIRAVE)
    $20/mo for multiple lines. (OPTIONAL)

Have not seen any options for not paying for unlimited plans and just using Airave with anytime minutes.

Most saying that this is adding an additional line to your account, so they will require signing 2 year contract for the Airave service.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by raustria View Post
    More information at this thread: http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...140231&page=71

Release date actually Aug. 17, but some appear to be able to sign up before than. It's not clear; I think the Sprint reps are not giving consistent information. Some saying the device is $49, others saying $99, while others saying the cost has not been announced.

Cost for the service appears to be:
    $4.99/mo Enhanced coverage (REQUIRED FOR AIRAVE)
    $10/mo for single line unlimited (REQUIRED FOR AIRAVE)
    $20/mo for multiple lines. (OPTIONAL)

Have not seen any options for not paying for unlimited plans and just using Airave with anytime minutes.

Most saying that this is adding an additional line to your account, so they will require signing 2 year contract for the Airave service.
    I have been hearing this lately too, what I posted before was the initial report I read. I think it's ridiculous they are going to charge someone a monthly fee to fix spotty reception in their own homes. Now if they consider this a new "line" and require a 2 year agreement I will not be buying one. I was psyched about the idea at first after reading it was only 100 bucks if you use your own monthly minutes, but now it seems as if they are going to try and milk this for every dollar they can. I know several people who have said they will not buy it if there is an extra monthly charge. I can't imagine the Airave being a success if they do. I'm sure a lot of business will be lost.

TV's report on someone's (Engadget's) review of the Airave says that the device must first get a gps lock and verify that the device is in the United States before it will function properly.

I've got a problem with that, though, because a number of places that don't have good Sprint reception... wait for it... don't have good gps reception (even with the newer chipsets).

How p.o.'ed would I be to have paid for the device and the monthly service just to find out that the gps element hangs the device up? Well, assuming that it does.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    The worst part about it is that the radius is 40 ft... That's tiny imo.

Also, if you make a call that does not originate as an airrave call (even if you are within range), it will never switch over to airrave.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post

Also, if you make a call that does not originate as an airrave call (even if you are within range), it will never switch over to airrave.
    That's odd since they say that you can start on the Airave and then, switch over to the Sprint air signal. It's odd (and mildly misleading) that the reverse isn't true.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Here's a link to Engadget's review.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...airave-review/
  11.    #11  

What do you mean the radius is 40 ft?

The AIRAVE is supposed to cover 5,000 ft. Unless I've mistaken what you mean

5000 sq ft, not 5000 ft radius.

I reference a post by KU6P on engadget to do the math for me:

"The coverage radius is up to 5,000 square feet." Coverage radius? Huh? Coverage AREA, maybe? If it provides an AREA of 5,000 square feet, then my math tells me it has a RADIUS of about 40 feet. C'mon, shake the old cobwebs loose... pi times radius squared equals area of a circle... so 3.14 (roughly) times 1600 (which is 40 squared) equals 5,024 square feet, right? 40 feet ain't much if your router is in your back office and your kitchen is more than 40 feet away at the other end of the house
    40 ft is crap. If you think this thing actually will produce a signal to make a call 5,000 ft away (in a straight line), I think you will be sorely, sorely disappointed.

Factor in the fact that most people will NOT have this thing sitting in the middle of their house. Most routers are situated near a wall in a room. Maybe if you have a long cat5 cable or a wireless bridge, but I really don't see most people accommodating to have this thing in the middle of the house. This lowers the usable coverage "area" considerably (unless you use it outside your house near that one room a lot).
    Last edited by papped; 08/13/2008 at 07:15 PM.
  13.    #13  
    I see what you're saying. I am going to take a chance and buy one on Sunday. As long as they have them in stock and ready to go I will have one and I will post about it ASAP. I have very poor service everywhere in my house, my basement is a complete deadzone. My router is in the office on the 2nd floor, if this improves the service in the basement enough to hold a call without dropouts I will consider it a great success!

^^ Yeah that is basically the scenario I can see it being useful, where you don't have hardly any singal in the first place and it will most likely dramatically improve service, even if not everywhere.
    Why should anyone have to purchase an additional device for something Sprint should offer anyways. They waste no time in collecting their money when a bill is due and we have to buy something else to make their service work for us. Am I the only one that finds this strange or am I missing something?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator-1 View Post
    Why should anyone have to purchase an additional device for something Sprint should offer anyways. They waste no time in collecting their money when a bill is due and we have to buy something else to make their service work for us. Am I the only one that finds this strange or am I missing something?
    A lot of times it's not the providers fault that service drops off in homes or businesses. Usually the material that was used in construction effects the penetrating ability of the radio waves. The higher the frequency the less the signal is able to penetrate and the shorter the signal is able to travel. But I do feel it is wrong for them to charge a monthly fee when the service is running off an internet connection the subscriber is paying for separately.

For example, 800mhz is able to travel further and penetrate walls better than 2.4ghz, likewise with 5.8ghz.

This is why the talk about "free national wi-fi" is trying to utilize the 25mhz spectrum. But that topic is for another topic or forum.

The negative to this could be that if it gets popular, they would have less incentive to add towers for coverage. That costs them more money and they don't get to charge monthly for it...
    Just got trained on the airave. Its 5000sqr ft from the device, the pricing listed above is accurate. It has to be 15 Miles from the closest tower for E911 reasons. If the reception problem is a serious enough it will affect pricing. Whats not accurate from the past comments is that you CANT drop to a bare bones plans 29.99 basic and get the airave with unlimited ($15). But you do have to have a proven need for it other wise, fork over $99.99. If Your account is a spending limit account, get ready to cough up 99.99. If you have a normal account the 99.99 payment options may vary.

Moving outside the 5000 sq ft will "Hand off" your call to the normal network at whatever your rate is. Moving back into the 5000 sq ft will drop the call, the dial *99 the device will beep twice and the the call is unlimited with the $15 plan.

50 numbers can be added, it handles 3 calls at a time. It comes unlocked so every body can mooch off you own personal tower OR you can lock it for only friends and family.

Or leap frog from airave to airave when you visit folks that have one. So talk your neighbors into buying one but dont tell em about the lock thing and voila!

If you got a business, Multiple airave will unlimit calls onsite and kill the office phone network expenses and takes 3 phone numbers per employee to 1 point of contact.

Is it perfect, is anything perfect........ Is it cheaper, Yes. However Sprint is one of the few company's that tries, so eat the 99.99 and move on.

And most important, don't yell. Yelling at us will most assuredly lower your chances at whichever issue you need fixed.
    The negative to this could be that if it gets popular, they would have less incentive to add towers for coverage. That costs them more money and they don't get to charge monthly for it...
    It looks like thats the idea. make the airave part of the equipt ment and plan less towers less operating costs..... That sounds good to any business owner.

50 percent of the calls I get are in house signal problems. And no one promises indoor signal. But it looks like sprint might if this takes off
  20.    #20  
    I had originally planned on buying an Airrave tomorrow and hoped to have everything set up so I could test it out and post a short review about it tomorrow night, but apparently all the Sprint stores in the area are closed for training tomorrow, I will have to go on Monday after work to pick one up and I hope to have everything running by Monday night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast