Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    VZW just sent me a replacement 755p (actually it was Asurion) and instead of a refurb, this thing came in it's original box and seems brand spanking new. What's really the point of this post? The firmware on this thing is v1.07! The differences are pretty big - the versions of everything are different than the v1.06 firmware AND the v1.08 firmware. The Phone app however says it's v2.5 but (c) 2007, whereas my v1.08 phone says v2.5 but (c) 2008. Bluetooth is a whole different version too as well as Messaging. The best way to describe it is that it appears that all the apps and their versions are between the versions on the 1.06 and 1.08 phones - which, of course, makes sense.

Keep in mind, this is how the phone came - I have done no restores or anything to it which could of potentially confused it to give it an identity crisis.

Oh, and it's fast as hell. I mean super, super, super fast. I can do 10 things in 3 seconds whereas on my v1.08 phone it takes me 3 seconds to do 1 thing.

So how come VZW or Palm withheld this version from the masses?
  2.    #2  
    Also worth noting that the Hardware Revision on this phone is "B", not "A" as my 12/2007 755p is.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    It's NOT the ROM version, C5, but rather the hardware revision. See my other thread in this same forum about the 'B" hardware rev. I used several Sprint 755p's in a row that were recently purchaed and all were "B" hardware units. They had superb performance and were literally as fast as the Centro. I was quite impressed by the...but I had no idea any "B" VZW units were floating around out there as well. Any noticable changes to the bundled app versions or the Messaging/Phone apps?

I wonder how your "B" version would perform with the 1.08 firmware installed? You gonna risk updating it?
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    So, how did you convince Verizon to send you the replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by c5vettes View Post
    VZW just sent me a replacement 755p (actually it was Asurion) and instead of a refurb, this thing came in it's original box and seems brand spanking new. What's really the point of this post? The firmware on this thing is v1.07! The differences are pretty big - the versions of everything are different than the v1.06 firmware AND the v1.08 firmware. The Phone app however says it's v2.5 but (c) 2007, whereas my v1.08 phone says v2.5 but (c) 2008. Bluetooth is a whole different version too as well as Messaging. The best way to describe it is that it appears that all the apps and their versions are between the versions on the 1.06 and 1.08 phones - which, of course, makes sense.

Keep in mind, this is how the phone came - I have done no restores or anything to it which could of potentially confused it to give it an identity crisis.

Oh, and it's fast as hell. I mean super, super, super fast. I can do 10 things in 3 seconds whereas on my v1.08 phone it takes me 3 seconds to do 1 thing.

So how come VZW or Palm withheld this version from the masses?
  5.    #5  
    Interesting... Well, I managed to get them to send me this one when I called Asurion the other day to report that my girlfriend's Treo 650 VZW was once again dead. They had just replaced it (again) in April and it was still under their warrenty. I asked the guy if I could get them to send her a Centro instead of a 650 because she's had 4 sent to her all of which sucked and died. He offered me a couple different phones, a 650, 700p, 755p and a Motorola Q... So I went with a 755p... Total cost? $0. No deductable since it was still under Asurions warranty. So now she's got a faster and better phone than I do I plan to fix that soon and try to get my v1.08 755p replaced. There are a lot of differences with her phone.. I don't have time to list them all right now but hopefully I can at some point.

I have NO plans to brick her phone by upgrading it to v1.08. I've never seen a Treo scream through apps and stuff as fast as hers does now...

HOWEVER, it's worth noting that she does NOT have the data plan and doesn't even HotSync her phone. She uses it purely for Voice and Messaging. Hopefully when and if I get mine, I'll be able to report back with more info.

My advice to get one is to call Verizon or Asurion and report the problems with the phone you've got and be persistant in asking for a replacement! And it never hurts to ask for a Centro - who knows, maybe they'll start offering them soon... (if you want a Centro, anyways...)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    It's NOT the ROM version, C5, but rather the hardware revision. See my other thread in this same forum about the 'B" hardware rev. I used several Sprint 755p's in a row that were recently purchaed and all were "B" hardware units. They had superb performance and were literally as fast as the Centro. I was quite impressed by the...but I had no idea any "B" VZW units were floating around out there as well. Any noticable changes to the bundled app versions or the Messaging/Phone apps?

I wonder how your "B" version would perform with the 1.08 firmware installed? You gonna risk updating it?
    Yes, "B" is the Hardware Revision but v1.07 is the Firmware Version. All the apps I looked at were versions different than I had on my v1.06 phone (newer) but older than the version I have on my v1.08 phone...
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    You tantalize us.....

"A lot of differences with her phone" ? ?

Just to be brief, do you mean by app versions or any major performance/stability differences? Are they all positive changes? Any negatives?

For comparison, lately I've had quite a bit of hands-on time with a colleague's "B" Sprint 1.07 755p. It blows away my "A" 1.08 VZW 755p. But my VZW 755p blew away another person's older Sprint "A" 1.07 755p. So there's a definite hierarchy in regards to the various software & hardware revisions of the 755p floating around out there.

Now I'm tempted to try to get a "B" 755p from Verizon/Asurion for myself...

Thanks for the info!
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  8.    #8  
    You tantalize us.....

Just to be brief, do you mean by app versions or any major performance/stability differences? Are they all positive changes? Any negatives?

For comparison, lately I've had quite a bit of hands-on time with a colleague's "B" Sprint 1.07 755p. It blows away my "A" 1.08 VZW 755p. But my VZW 755p blew away another person's older Sprint "A" 1.07 755p. So there's a definite hierarchy in regards to the various software & hardware revisions of the 755p floating around out there.

Thanks for the info!
    No problem! The differences are both with speed and with app version numbers. I'll try to post more info later on tonight when I get home but keep in mind that from what I saw, all the app versions are OLDER than the versions on the v1.08 phone.. Not by much, but still older. I'll post pics also when I get the chance... let me know how it goes with trying to get the phone... I wouldn't mention getting a "B" phone as the guys over there in the department I talked to were not all that smart and aware of what I was saying so I kept it brief and didn't go into any details...
  9.    #9  
    You tantalize us.....

Thanks for the info!
    Also, ALL the changes were POSITIVE that I noticed so far...
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Well, my digitizer IS fading slightly anyway (though recalibrating it with Dimitry's superb PowerDigi app keeps everything running smoothly...), after just 4-5 months of use, so I have a definitely case for a warranty replacement. I'll post if I have any success. Looking forward to the screens/info....no rush, though. If time's a factor, then a simple comparison between the app versions on your 1.08 and your GF's 1.07 would suffice.

I'm just personally (morbidly?) curious to see what the absolute "newest" possible 755p is in regards to both hardware & software. I figure a "B" 1.08 Verizon 755p is as good as it gets for those of us who don't want a Centro
    :-)
    While reading through this thread, I decided to check my 755p which I just received from Verizon two days ago via ordering online.

I can confirm what c5vettes says.
    My treo is same as described above. ROM 1.07 with hardware revision 'B'. Phone v. 2.5 c2007.

Since this is my first treo, I can't compare it to others. However, I can say this one replaces my razr / palm t3 combo I was carrying. My treo is snappy enough that I don't really notice a speed difference between this and the T3.
  12. iii
    I just received a refurb replacement from Verizon and it's Version 1.07 but Hardware rev A. The 1.08 update gave me nothing but grief.
  13. iii
    Are you guys sure the Hardware rev B is faster. My 1.07 refurb seems very fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by zuke8675309 View Post
    My treo is same as described above. ROM 1.07 with hardware revision 'B'. Phone v. 2.5 c2007.
    I have a Verizon Treo 755p replaced by Palm in mid-May of this year on a warranty claim. My hardware is Rev A, but it's running the 1.08 ROM update and the Phone app is also 2.5 with a copyright of 2008, not 2007.

Go figure.

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    @iii: I have yet to personally use a "B" Verizon 755p but all of the Sprint "B" 755p's I've used have been lightning fast & quite stable.

@Harold: My 755p (IIRC) had a 2007 copyright on the phone app when I bought it earlier this year but after installing the 1.08 ROM updater it brought the phone app up to copyright 2008 in the about screen (version 2.5).
    Is there any kind of benchmarking program available for the PalmOS? I'd be happy to run some tests on mine and compare to someone with hardware rev. A.
  17.    #17  
    Well, my digitizer IS fading slightly anyway (though recalibrating it with Dimitry's superb PowerDigi app keeps everything running smoothly...), after just 4-5 months of use, so I have a definitely case for a warranty replacement. I'll post if I have any success. Looking forward to the screens/info....no rush, though. If time's a factor, then a simple comparison between the app versions on your 1.08 and your GF's 1.07 would suffice.

I'm just personally (morbidly?) curious to see what the absolute "newest" possible 755p is in regards to both hardware & software. I figure a "B" 1.08 Verizon 755p is as good as it gets for those of us who don't want a Centro
    :-)
    Well I've finally managed to get the time to post what I said I would! Here is a quick list of some of the apps that have different version numbers on the v1.07 HW B phone. The versions listed are the ones of the v1.07:

Software: Treo755p-1.07-VZW
    Hardware: B

Phone - v2.5 (c) 2007
    Applications - v5.2H
    Bluetooth Manager - v3.1.2
    Messaging - v2.6.2
    Pics&Videos - v3.5.4.3
    Card Info - v2.0
    Security - v4.2
    Voice Memo - v1.4
    Palm Blazer - v4.5
    Pocket Tunes - v3.0.9 Bundle
    Calendar - v1.3.2
    Contacts - v1.3.3
    Google Maps - v1.1.2
    My Treo - v2.5 (NEWER than v1.08 FW on HW: A)
    MMS - v0.2.2
    TreoSMS Stub - v1.0

I also finally got around to ordering MY replacement 755 from VZW. I didn't go through Asurion, VZW is the one sending me the phone this time so we'll see what I end up getting. They said it's going to be a refurb 755p, but anything than what I currently have will be better at this point.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by c5vettes View Post
    Well I've finally managed to get the time to post what I said I would! Here is a quick list of some of the apps that have different version numbers on the v1.07 HW B phone. The versions listed are the ones of the v1.07:

Software: Treo755p-1.07-VZW
    Hardware: B

Phone - v2.5 (c) 2007
    Applications - v5.2H
    Bluetooth Manager - v3.1.2
    Messaging - v2.6.2
    Pics&Videos - v3.5.4.3
    Card Info - v2.0
    Security - v4.2
    Voice Memo - v1.4
    Palm Blazer - v4.5
    Pocket Tunes - v3.0.9 Bundle
    Calendar - v1.3.2
    Contacts - v1.3.3
    Google Maps - v1.1.2
    My Treo - v2.5 (NEWER than v1.08 FW on HW: A)
    MMS - v0.2.2
    TreoSMS Stub - v1.0

I also finally got around to ordering MY replacement 755 from VZW. I didn't go through Asurion, VZW is the one sending me the phone this time so we'll see what I end up getting. They said it's going to be a refurb 755p, but anything than what I currently have will be better at this point.
    Correction: when I said that the list of apps and their versions are of the "different" versions, I didn't mean that. Not all those apps on that list are older or have different version #'s than those on my v1.08 755p - I only listed them for informational purposes.
  19.    #19  
    I got my replacement 755 from Verizon today. It's good and bad news, mostly good. First off, I'm pretty sure it's a refurb but it's in great condition and I don't notice anything that would indicate it either way. It feels new to me. Unfortunately, it's a Hardware Revision A phone. HOWEVER, it's also got the v1.06 firmware!!! I did a restore from my v1.08 phone with nvbackup and everything instantly worked without a single problem. I've tested every app. Even Bluetooth. AND IT'S FAST! I'm back to the speed I enjoyed prior to the July 1st 2008 disaster that was v1.08. Everything is back the way it used to be before I did the update. I'm a happy camper! My ONLY complaint is that I REALLY, REALLY liked the improvements that were brought to the Messaging app from v1.08 (which brings it to v2.7 from v2.6.2). Other than that, everything seems great.
  20.    #20  
    ...and like the complete ***** I am, I decided to be cool by running the v1.08 update on my perfectly fine v1.06 replacement phone. Bad call. EXACT SAME PROBLEMS AS BEFORE. Phone is slow as hell. It's ridiculous. I called VZW to get another replacement and guess what? THERE'S A SHORTAGE. 35 minutes and 4 people later, I found someone who was magically able to find a 755p in stock. So I'm getting it sometime this week. Hope it has v1.06 on it. v1.08 seems to be The Death. FWIW, I did the upgrade on a clean phone after a hard reset just to be safe and didn't even have to restore my settings before noticing that everything was slooooow again. Things were slow even more after I did a restore. None of this happened when I got my v1.06 phone. Now I know why (confirmed) Palm has negated to mention v1.08's existance like they have the Centro updates, etc.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast