Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Check it out:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...te/sprint.html

I'm about to download...

Marc
    Congrats to the Sprint Centros...you finally get "My Location" for Google Maps...
    What are the chances of this update helping out us poor 755p users?

Next to none....check it out, Verizon Wireless is phasing out the Treo 755p....
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/7...the-treo-755p/

Quote Originally Posted by twocrifasis View Post
    What are the chances of this update helping out us poor 755p users?

Yeah, I was aware that Verizon was ending the 755p's availability but I was asking if this upgrade could be applied to the 755p.

Like the Centro email update that I applied to my 755p and now Versamail works with my Exchange account.
    I have it installing right now...

Edit: It bricked my phone!!!!!

Just kidding. It found my location! (within 1800 meters, it says) Looking at the map, I would guess the error is actually a little worse than that from sitting in my house. But it's definitely good enough for the purposes that I wanted it for.
    Last edited by megalo; 07/22/2008 at 06:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by megalo View Post
    You have it installing on your Centro or your 755p?

Quote Originally Posted by twocrifasis View Post
    You have it installing on your Centro or your 755p?

Centro.
    I noticed that the microSD card method requires the microSD card to be blank -- is this really the case? Unlike regular SD cards, where I have several lying around, I only have 1 microSD card and it would be a hassle to erase it...

I remember with previous firmware updates, Palm told us that the card had to be blank first, but it wasn't absolutely necessary. Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by alvic51 View Post
    I noticed that the microSD card method requires the microSD card to be blank -- is this really the case? Unlike regular SD cards, where I have several lying around, I only have 1 microSD card and it would be a hassle to erase it...

I remember with previous firmware updates, Palm told us that the card had to be blank first, but it wasn't absolutely necessary. Thoughts?
    I would guess it doesn't have to be blank - they're just trying to cover any weird cases (like there being a folder called Palm on you non-blank microSD card).
    I would guess it doesn't have to be blank - they're just trying to cover any weird cases (like there being a folder called Palm on you non-blank microSD card).
    Thanks. I'm almost willing to try it. I do have Garmin installed on the card, which automatically asks you if you want to run the program whenever the card is inserted. To be safe, I'm going to remove that at least (wouldn't want any complications).
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I am taking the plunge now. Ha... It says "Updating Treo" wtf. Can't wait to see how the My Location works.

I am doing the desktop updater. Seemed quicker than fooling around with my card reader.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    any chance someone in the know can take the files to use for custom roms?
    I'm downloading and about to start the update myself. Taking the desktop updater route for the same reasons as mtndew.
    Please let us know how it goes using the Desktop Updater.
    Quote Originally Posted by scheumanrj View Post
    Please let us know how it goes using the Desktop Updater.
    The Desktop Updater went very smooth. Palm seems to have learned from past upgrades (longtime Treo user here) and provides a good deal of information during the process to keep you informed. According to the Palm timer, it took 9m50s to update my Centro.

What is new is that you must do a restore of your data. After the update, you will be left with a virgin device, so make sure you have a good backup first.

Your Centro will prompt you to reprovision Vision services when you first turn on the phone. The instructions don't mention that.

Location-based Google Maps is very fast in terms of getting your position. YMMV in terms of accuracy and where you happen to be.
    If you are a Chatter e-mail user, you may need to reload all of your e-mail boxes (Menu, Mailbox Utilities, Reload Mailbox). I had to do this for each mailbox, so it may have been a fluke thing for me.

[EDIT] Forget this part. For some reason my Centro just wasn't seeing my SD card. A reboot solved that.
    Last edited by MarkY; 07/22/2008 at 07:52 PM.
    Just kidding. It found my location! (within 1800 meters, it says) Looking at the map, I would guess the error is actually a little worse than that from sitting in my house. But it's definitely good enough for the purposes that I wanted it for.

I updated, everything went fine, it reprovisioned, saved the VersaMail passwords (contrary to what they said) but.....Google Maps doesn't have any "My Location." What am I missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    \
    What is new is that you must do a restore of your data. After the update, you will be left with a virgin device, so make sure you have a good backup first.
    Did you restore from your desktop or from an SD card?

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by maddogprod View Post
    I updated, everything went fine, it reprovisioned, saved the VersaMail passwords (contrary to what they said) but.....Google Maps doesn't have any "My Location." What am I missing?
    I'm guessing you need to download the new version of Google Maps (the one that shipped with the Centro didn't include the My Location feature). I ended up doing the microSD card method, and need to recopy all my files back over to the card -- I chickened out and decided to use a blank card, as directed. But I agree, if you try to launch Google Maps right after the update, it doesn't have My Location.
    Last edited by alvic51; 07/22/2008 at 08:36 PM.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast