Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by strobeyprobey View Post
    Is there a way to delete the RAM version of VersaMail (build 77 update) now that the ROM has a newer version? (Since I did a full restore from RescoBackup).
    I used RescoBackup. When I was doing the restore from Resco backup after hard reset, I went into selecting by Application. Then I unchecked "Email" and restore. Seemed to work for me. I have build 86 now.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tahkuct View Post
    No. Hotsync will not restore everything. For example JVM will not be restores and many 3 party apps will not be restored via hotsync
    I am suspicious of this. I've seen it happen more than a few times that installed apps are not restored. But that was always on older palm devices, not a centro.

I'm still not sure how to tell which ones will be restored and which will need re installation. It's annoying to find out the hard way: You don't use an application for a few days after a hard install like this, and then when you do launch the app, there's either a message that a component is missing, or worse you a hard reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorker545 View Post
    Rick, did you update these Centros via the desktop updater or the expansion card?

I used desktop updater as I didn't have a spare card but I like doing it that
    way anyway. I used the same download on all four phones.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    When I tried to restore from my backups (tried both NVBackup and Resco), it finishes the reset and says "The application cannot be launched because it is missing localization information" during the ACCESS Powered screen. I must have some program that is causing this with the new update. I did not have a problem restoring with the original firmware. Anyone know anything about "localization information"?
    I'm up and running with the new firmware now, but I can report that things don't go well with the SD card method and NVBackup restore. Here's what I did: I both hotsynced and backed up with NVBackup first. Then I hard reset the phone. I followed the instructions and moved everything from my card onto my computer (it took forever because of all my video/audio). Then I deleted everything on the card and put the firmware on it. The update loaded fine from the card and the phone worked perfect as a "clean" device.

The problems happened when I copied all of my data back over to my card, put the card in the phone, and attempted to do a full restore with NVbackup. After the restore, I started getting (hold your breath...) infinite reset loops. Ouch. I ended up having to do another hard reset and just restoring with a hotsync. I had to restore a couple of programs manually after that, but in the end, everything worked out.

So just a warning about NVBackup restores... The only out-of-the-ordinary thing that I did was that I password protect my restore files, and I inputed the wrong password the first time I attempted to restore (it still ran the restore, but didn't restore anything due to the wrong password). The second time I used the correct password, and everything (seemed) to restore fine. Until the phone reset and starting going into the loop, that is...

I'm happy to hear others have been able to restore without a problem though! I'm guessing there's something that NVBackup tries to restore that doesn't play nice with the new firmware...
    Anyone having reset problems with 1.07, and SkinUi? I'm trying to do some changes, but everytime I tap on the icon, the Centro does a soft reset. I removed the app, and reinstalled it with no luck.

What are the advantages of this update? I have my location but I don't really see a use for it. What does anyone use my location for? I have notice the volume is slightly louder and I am getting more bars at my house but that was probably a prl update that was done at the same time.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee View Post
    What are the advantages of this update? I have my location but I don't really see a use for it. What does anyone use my location for? I have notice the volume is slightly louder and I am getting more bars at my house but that was probably a prl update that was done at the same time.
    I feel the best uses for my location will be two fold. First, if I'm out driving around and am looking for a street I know I'm near, I can press 'my location' faster than I can put in the address where I'm at. I can then scroll to find what I'm looking for. The next best reason would be me staying in another town and say I feel like pizza. I go to my location (again, easier than finding and putting in an address) and go to 'menu' 'search' and then type pizza. It will locate the places that have pizza close to me. I can click on the place and their info will come up including a phone number that can be dialed just by clicking on it. Many, many great and easy uses for it.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    ...The next best reason would be me staying in another town and say I feel like pizza. I go to my location (again, easier than finding and putting in an address) ...
    I could of used this 2 weeks ago. I was in Harrisburg, PA visiting my aunt. We had just finished going out to dinner and we felt like going for an ice cream. I had to figure out where we were before I could search for nearby businesses. Having it do it automatically for me would of made it so much easier.

I am also excited about using "my location" for traffic information when I am driving down I-95 to visit the folks.

Franko
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by franko353 View Post
    Does anyone know if USB modem still works after the update?

Franko353
    I am testing it now and it seems to be OK.

I did the following to update both mine and my wife's Centros:
    - hotsync
    - then a NvBackUp backup to card
    - firmware update
    - beamed NvBackUp from other Centro (I could of put it on the card also)
    - then a NvBackUp restore from card
    - downloaded newest version of google maps

Everything seems to be working OK. It took about 20 minutes per Centro.
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
    I just did the standard from PC update and the process took no more then 9 minutes. Did a standard hotysnc, and everything was restored. Had absolutely no issues at all. I think people should try the normal hotsync restore before using nvbackup. My guess is that nvbackup may be restoring database files that aren't compatible with the upgrade in some way. I did notice that the normal hotsync restore didn't restore all of the database records - but all my apps, settings, and Phone records were restored just fine. Only the updated version of Versamail and pTunes which I had on the RAM of my phone, were not restored. This isn't much of an issue though, as the versamail update is not needed with the firmware upgrade present, and I needed to download the new version of pTunes anyways.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyatbt View Post
    When I tried to restore from my backups (tried both NVBackup and Resco), it finishes the reset and says "The application cannot be launched because it is missing localization information" during the ACCESS Powered screen. I must have some program that is causing this with the new update. I did not have a problem restoring with the original firmware. Anyone know anything about "localization information"?
    YES it happened to me too. Note: If you have installed phwelo customizations you will have to uncheck phone app, smarttextengine and the blazer skin(don't know the name) when restoring from NV prob Resco too. Thanks to TravisxJenson and Laursifer at Sprintusers for sharing this.

or

Restore using hotsync instead of NV Backup this is what I did.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    I did the update. It went smooth with no problems.

Like others have reported, the first time I got into Blazer was sort of slow.

I did one variation from the process that I'm not yet sure about. Still need to check it.

I had a 2 Gb card in my centro, and rather than erasing it (had a pic/media album, some data and some apps on it), I just removed it. I also had a spare 128 Mb micro SD card laying around, and I formated the spare, copied the update files to it, and used it to do to do the update. When the update was finished nd phone provisioned itself, I removed the 128 Mb card, and reinserted my original 2 Gb card. I've yet to see if the apps and data that were on the card still work or are accessible. I'm hoping there is no serial ID/pairing of apps in the main memory and in an expansion card, and everything still be there/be accessible. Will find out soon enough.

Edit: The phone's call log was even restored, that is nice.
    Last edited by Miner; 07/23/2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Call Log
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I did the same... worked perfect for me

Quote Originally Posted by alvic51 View Post
    I'm up and running with the new firmware now, but I can report that things don't go well with the SD card method and NVBackup restore. Here's what I did: I both hotsynced and backed up with NVBackup first. Then I hard reset the phone. I followed the instructions and moved everything from my card onto my computer (it took forever because of all my video/audio). Then I deleted everything on the card and put the firmware on it. The update loaded fine from the card and the phone worked perfect as a "clean" device.

The problems happened when I copied all of my data back over to my card, put the card in the phone, and attempted to do a full restore with NVbackup. After the restore, I started getting (hold your breath...) infinite reset loops. Ouch. I ended up having to do another hard reset and just restoring with a hotsync. I had to restore a couple of programs manually after that, but in the end, everything worked out.

So just a warning about NVBackup restores... The only out-of-the-ordinary thing that I did was that I password protect my restore files, and I inputed the wrong password the first time I attempted to restore (it still ran the restore, but didn't restore anything due to the wrong password). The second time I used the correct password, and everything (seemed) to restore fine. Until the phone reset and starting going into the loop, that is...

I'm happy to hear others have been able to restore without a problem though! I'm guessing there's something that NVBackup tries to restore that doesn't play nice with the new firmware...
    FYI.. After the update.. When I went into ondemand, it said there was an update. It updated to Pocket Express.

I also noticed that IM was in RAM from my restoration of my setup. I deleted the IM that was in RAM and used the ROM version.
    My update did not work too good. It updated to 1.07. When I tried to get my data back using backupbuddy VFS, it reboots as soon as it gets to Saved Preferences and quits. Any ideas? How can I delete Saved preferences from BUBVFS? Will that hurt anything? Help!!!
    After some use with the new update I did encounter two things that did not restore correctly. The first being Card Export II. For some reason hotsync does not back it up. However, after re-install the PRC all the settings remained intact, and it was still registered. So the associated database file was restored. Weird.

The second thing to not work right was ZdoomZ. The .PRC was restored, however I think the appropriate database files were never restored - So it would crash for some weird reason on load. Had to re-install.

So it appears some apps do not restore fully with the hotsync backup. For the most part however, everything is restored just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    My update did not work too good. It updated to 1.07. When I tried to get my data back using backupbuddy VFS, it reboots as soon as it gets to Saved Preferences and quits. Any ideas? How can I delete Saved preferences from BUBVFS? Will that hurt anything? Help!!!
    Have you tried just doing a normal hotsync restore? It has issues here and there with some applications, but restores everything mostly just fine with the updated firmware.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post
    FYI.. After the update.. When I went into ondemand, it said there was an update. It updated to Pocket Express.
    I realize this is a bit of an aside to the main topic, but I hope it's OK to discuss a little since it was mentioned. I heard about this update being available for a while now, and some people were saying it was getting pushed out. I haven't gotten it yet. Going to On Demand loads up On Demand, as usual. When I go to the Sprint Store though, there's a link for getting an update. It appears to be free, but I haven't tried downloading it. I've heard that some of what's free in On Demand is no longer free in the Pocket Express update/upgrade. I don't use the program a lot, but I'd certainly like to stay with the program that gives me more for free. Any opinions on whether the upgrade is worth it? Thanks in advance.
    This is odd. After the update my phone button now maps to the calendar. Anyone else have this happen?