Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Anyone know if any of the built-in Rom programs are updated from this...

VersaMail, DocstoGo and Ptunes Deluxe?

I know I have updates/patches installed for all of these that are being used on my Centro and taking up memory. Just wondering if I should exclude some of these things from being restored.
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post
    Anyone know if any of the built-in Rom programs are updated from this...

VersaMail, DocstoGo and Ptunes Deluxe?

I know I have updates/patches installed for all of these that are being used on my Centro and taking up memory. Just wondering if I should exclude some of these things from being restored.
    Ok.. Installed the update. Looks like Docs and Ptunes are still older then the updated RAM versions.

Versamail is build 4.0.1 Build 86. This is newer then the Palm Patched version of 77. Not sure how I go about restoring without restoring the old Versamail stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by windwalker View Post
    so what's the best way to get my centro back to exactly the way it is pre-update. ie all apps, settings, pairings, etc.
    I've updated four Centros since last night. Two of mine and two for co-workers. In each I used NV Backup and backed each unit before starting the update. After the update I 'restored' the Centro using the NV Backup and then beamed the new Google Maps to the units. Everything works fine and was transfered back perfectly WITH ONE EXCEPTION. I noticed that the bullseye on the phone screen had the red line through it so I had to go to phone preferences and touch the 'Location On' side again and all is well. I had to do this on all four so I'm sure everyone has to do that. For new users, you want that option as it will help tell 911 operators where you are if you can't speak.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    You need to update Google Maps through Google's website via Blazer. Apparently, Sprint did not put the latest version of Google Maps on the firmware. You think they would have done it to make it simpler, however, probably the latest version of Google Maps for Palm OS was not out yet when Palm made the new firmware updates several months ago and I believe before the firmware can be released, Sprint needs to do their own internal testing before relasing it to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
    I am starting the update with my fingers crossed.

New Rom up and running, but I dont see the Find Me option in GMaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    I've updated four Centros since last night. Two of mine and two for co-workers. In each I used NV Backup and backed each unit before starting the update. After the update I 'restored' the Centro using the NV Backup and then beamed the new Google Maps to the units. Everything works fine and was transfered back perfectly WITH ONE EXCEPTION. I noticed that the bullseye on the phone screen had the red line through it so I had to go to phone preferences and touch the 'Location On' side again and all is well. I had to do this on all four so I'm sure everyone has to do that. For new users, you want that option as it will help tell 911 operators where you are if you can't speak.
    Rick, did you update these Centros via the desktop updater or the expansion card?
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    I tried to restore using BackupBuddy after the successful upgrade (via USB cable), and it keeps crashing while restoring SavedPreferences. Anyone else seeing this?
    Can this be done using the phone its self? Meaning do I have to DL to my computer first or and then sync everything or can I just use my phone to update?
    Quote Originally Posted by thedopeman View Post
    Can this be done using the phone its self? Meaning do I have to DL to my computer first or and then sync everything or can I just use my phone to update?
    If you can get the update files onto a microSD card, you can do it completely without a computer from there.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Does anyone know how the PRL updates are handled with respect to the new firmware? I know that the release notes mentioned that one of the enhancements was "Allows Preferred Roaming List updates over the air"...can you now make a request from the phone to update PRL, or does this just mean that they can push PRL updates to our phones now without our interaction? Anyone have clarification on this?

Thanks!
    LOL, now I know why they ask for an empty sd card. I formated my card, and forgot about all of my games, songs, and media that I had in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    You need to update Google Maps through Google's website via Blazer. Apparently, Sprint did not put the latest version of Google Maps on the firmware. You think they would have done it to make it simpler, however, probably the latest version of Google Maps for Palm OS was not out yet when Palm made the new firmware updates several months ago and I believe before the firmware can be released, Sprint needs to do their own internal testing before relasing it to the public.
    Thats what I figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Everything works fine and was transfered back perfectly WITH ONE EXCEPTION. I noticed that the bullseye on the phone screen had the red line through it so I had to go to phone preferences and touch the 'Location On' side again and all is well. I had to do this on all four so I'm sure everyone has to do that. For new users, you want that option as it will help tell 911 operators where you are if you can't speak.
    Not entirely true. Mine had the location turned off. This is not for 911 or e911. There is no way to turn it off for 911. The bullseye with red mark through it just means that you may block other 3rd party applications from using location services, not 911. FYI.. Having this turned off does not block Google maps location.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedopeman View Post
    Yes you can update without going near a desktop. Here's what I did...

I installed a clean micro card into my Centro. Formatted it in the device. Created a Blazer and Download folders within the Palm folder in the root directory after formatting.

Then I downloaded the 19 meg file (Windows XP version, since there was not a IT version available) via OTA to the card. It took 9 minutes to download the file to the Centro.

I then removed the card with the updater and inserted the usual card. Did a Resco Backup of the RAM and Camera images in the RAM.

Did a soft reset and plugged the Centro into the charger. I removed my usual card and inserted the card with the updater. I went to the download folder on the card with RX and used Resco Explorer to open the updater zip. I COPIED the PALM folder in the zip to the Palm folder in the root directory on the card.

I then removed the card and reinserted it. The updater ran automatically. It shut the phone radio off and it did a hard reset and it updated the firmware. Took 5 minutes.

After the update was finished, The Centro did a soft reset. I checked the firmware version and it is 1.07-SPNT. It also updated the PRL to 60613.

I removed the Updater card and inserted the usual card.
    I then did a complete restore from Resco Backup and did a soft reset. The Centro went to reprovisioning and reprovisioned the data info.

Everything was restored via Resco Backup including GM 2.0.2.0 and My Location works now. Everything took less than 15 minutes to do.

I love this stuff.

Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peridoc View Post
    Does anyone know how the PRL updates are handled with respect to the new firmware? I know that the release notes mentioned that one of the enhancements was "Allows Preferred Roaming List updates over the air"...can you now make a request from the phone to update PRL, or does this just mean that they can push PRL updates to our phones now without our interaction? Anyone have clarification on this?

Thanks!
    with older sprint treos if you just called customer service from the phone (is it *2?) then the mothership would notice if you needed a new prl- and it would say something like "listen to this swell elevator music while we download the latest roaming list to your phone" and then barry manilow instriumentals would play until it was done.

I would guess it's the same- but on vz now a days so cant say for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    Hotsync will get everything restored.
    No. Hotsync will not restore everything. For example JVM will not be restores and many 3 party apps will not be restored via hotsync
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post
    There is no way to turn it off for 911. . . Having this turned off does not block Google maps location.
    True, I've kept my phone location preferences to "911 only" and the My Location feature on Google Maps works fine. Switching the preference to "Location ON" didn't seem to help My Location though, so apparently it's not designed to make use of that feature of the Centro. Since it didn't work there, I turned off the location again because I don't think any of my other applications have a good reason to need to know my location.

Edit: As I understand it, doing a Hotsync will restore whatever Hotsync backed up, but not everything is backed up by default. You might need to re-install some things after restoring from a Hotsync backup.
    It worked for me using the desktop updater program. All I did was a hot sync before it and after it was done. I've lost a few applications that did not HotSync back over and a few preference settings in a few apps. Other than that, everything seems to be working well so far.
    Is there a way to delete the RAM version of VersaMail (build 77 update) now that the ROM has a newer version? (Since I did a full restore from RescoBackup).
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    I did a back up of one of the Centros (my old one) with Resco Backup and then copied the card to my laptop. I then formatted the card and placed the update on it and proceeded to update both Centros. The update went very well. I then updated Google Maps and yepper, it works!
    Ben:

You have been a POS user for years, right? What do you think about the switch to the 800w? I am currently using 2 lines with Sprint and have 3 phones in my briefcase: 755p, Centro and 800w. The 755 is my main phone and I am playing with the 800w. I want to like it. I really do. But Outlook is no match for Chatter (one button shortcuts, graying of messages until the server updates, different SMTP profiles among other things). I also find the device to be so slow compared to the 755p and especially the Centro. Nothing compares to 2day or Datebk6 and, anything close would cost me a lot of money.

What are your thoughts?
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.