1.    #1  
    Hi,

I just got the 800w, however, the more time I spend with it, I miss the centro. But this thread is not to compare the two, but rather to point out one important thing the centro doesn't have which would make it one of the best performing phones available.

The evdo rev. A on the 800w loads fast. Is there a firmware upgrade for the centro to get similar speeds? If you can get these speeds, then there is no need for wifi. And all that's missing is a functional opera.
    How fast is Rev. A? Do a speed test and let us know.
  3.    #3  
    How do you do a speed test for a mobile connection?

Not sure if its a big difference or just the browser, but its a world of difference, you can actually use the internet for surfing on the 800w. Now, when I use the wifi, i don't really see much of an improvement over the evdo, so, thats why I ask if there's a way to get the rev. A speeds on the centro.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    its not just a matter of firmware/software-

the chipset in the centro has to support the new standard. I would GUESS that's 50/50

for mobile speed test just google.

from my experience with a mogul rev 0 vs rev a speeds are pretty close to what the carriers advertise.

so in a nutshell rev a downloads aren't an order of magnitude faster (maybe double if I recall) but uploads are multiples faster.

more important for stuff beyond email I would guess.

I think the speed difference is the palm os is slower then windows.

I just moved from a rev o mogul to this rev 0 centro and the centro is slower even with the same generation radio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Filfy View Post
    How do you do a speed test for a mobile connection?
    http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    To make a long story short:

Centro's chipset IS Rev-A capable but the OS is not nor is it really worth Palm's time/effort to try to hack that functionality in, given Garnet's lack of multi-tasking/multi-threading. If you compare 2 nearly-identical handsets--say, the 700p & 700w/wx, the Garnet OS is already hindering the maximum throughput of EVDO, as the WM devices (either WM 5 or 6) regular score better in the wireless speed tests than their Palm OS counterparts under otherwise similar circumstances.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    To make a long story short:

Centro's chipset IS Rev-A capable but the OS is not nor is it really worth Palm's time/effort to try to hack that functionality in, given Garnet's lack of multi-tasking/multi-threading. If you compare 2 nearly-identical handsets--say, the 700p & 700w/wx, the Garnet OS is already hindering the maximum throughput of EVDO, as the WM devices (either WM 5 or 6) regular score better in the wireless speed tests than their Palm OS counterparts under otherwise similar circumstances.

can say from real workd that wm6 with rev 0 is faster then centro's rev 0. So for dowload speeds i agree- I dont know what really you would accomplish.

But if palm intends to keep franken-garnet around for a whole pile of new centro class devices would they work on updating it? doesn't rev a mostly get you much better upload speeds and maybe better latency?

Also- I'm curious- wouldn't the phone core pretty much handle rev 0 or rev a and then just pass tcp/ip to the os or does it completely not work that way?
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Centro's chipset IS Rev-A capable...
    You just have to stop with the conspiracy theories and misinformation, MSM6500 is NOT EVDO RevA capable, the MSM6800 in the 800w is capable which is why the Centro will never get an update for that. But they did just get a ROM update that fixes My Location as well as the Gmail problems I was having, not too bad for a dead company that has abandoned everyone.