Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    My normally stable two-year-old 700p started acting screwy this weekend. Went to the Verizon store yesterday to upgrade to the 755p. Was told they were out but if I came back today they could have me one. Went back this afternoon and was told the 755p has been discontinued. If I wanted the Palm OS I'd have to get a Centro.

Didn't really like that option. Before I made a decision wanted to check with the experts here and not the sales rep at the Verizon store. He didn't seem that credible. Said they were replacing the 755p with the 800w. So, experts, anybody heard anything about this?

I'm a Macintosh guy. Don't want anything with a "w" on it.

Anyone else know anything about this? Your input is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Ever since (approximately on or about) the July 10th or 11th, I've noticed the 755p is out of stock online, both when logging into my account to do a "NE2" upgrade and just going in there as a regular "new" customer. For what it's worth, the 755p online is now the same effective price as a Centro ($100 or even free after the NE2 $100 credit), so that is probably the "blowout" price for it.

Furthermore, inquiring with 2 local VZW corporate stores that are generally reputable has revealed the device out of stock at one but still in stock at the other. While they didn't go so far as to say the 755p is actually EOL, I did manage to get one sales rep to offer that the Centro is "replacing" the 755p.

No knowledge from 'em about the 800w...personally I feel that Verizon is either going to take the their sweet time with the 800w and/or pass on it in favor of something else. The recent crop of semi-reputable rumors of an official WM6 update for the terribly aged VZW 700wx seems proof of that.

Finally, the VZW fairly quickly received its 1.08 ROM update, so I think that both Palm & Verizon are considering the book closed on that particular model (and on all POS Treos in paticular).

I am certain they still have a fair number of 755p's still in the channel, so they can probably order you one or you can probably call VZW and harass them into finding your a 755p. Since I'd take the larger screen, keyboard, stylus & battery capacity of the 755p over the Centro (especially at the same price) it's probably worth beating the bushes to try and track one down...

Barring that, if you have insurance on your 700p, I know they'd LOVE to send you a refurb 700p. For what it's worth, I had an '06 new 700p, an '07 refurb 700p and an '08 refurb 700p. The '08 refurb had the best call volume & response of the three, even after my old one was flashed to the 1.10 ROM and an identical software load onboard. Maybe a newer byt undisclosed hardware rev? Go figure....
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Ever since (approximately on or about) the July 10th or 11th, I've noticed the 755p is out of stock online, both when logging into my account to do a "NE2" upgrade and just going in there as a regular "new" customer. For what it's worth, the 755p online is now the same effective price as a Centro ($100 or even free after the NE2 $100 credit), so that is probably the "blowout" price for it.

Furthermore, inquiring with 2 local VZW corporate stores that are generally reputable has revealed the device out of stock at one but still in stock at the other. While they didn't go so far as to say the 755p is actually EOL, I did manage to get one sales rep to offer that the Centro is "replacing" the 755p.

No knowledge from 'em about the 800w...personally I feel that Verizon is either going to take the their sweet time with the 800w and/or pass on it in favor of something else. The recent crop of semi-reputable rumors of an official WM6 update for the terribly aged VZW 700wx seems proof of that.

Finally, the VZW fairly quickly received its 1.08 ROM update, so I think that both Palm & Verizon are considering the book closed on that particular model (and on all POS Treos in paticular).

I am certain they still have a fair number of 755p's still in the channel, so they can probably order you one or you can probably call VZW and harass them into finding your a 755p. Since I'd take the larger screen, keyboard, stylus & battery capacity of the 755p over the Centro (especially at the same price) it's probably worth beating the bushes to try and track one down...

Barring that, if you have insurance on your 700p, I know they'd LOVE to send you a refurb 700p. For what it's worth, I had an '06 new 700p, an '07 refurb 700p and an '08 refurb 700p. The '08 refurb had the best call volume & response of the three, even after my old one was flashed to the 1.10 ROM and an identical software load onboard. Maybe a newer byt undisclosed hardware rev? Go figure....
    FWIW, Asurion offered a Treo 650, 700p, 755p and a Motorola Q as replacements for my girlfriend's broken Treo 650 (VZW) as of yesterday. No Centro yet, but I thought it was worth mentioning that if you deal with Asurion, apparently you can ask for what type of phones that they will replace your broken one with.
    I was in a Verizon Wireless store over the weekend to replace a BT earpiece. I found that the 755p was nowhere to be seen, and 755p accessories were all marked down, even below VZW's typically overcharged prices. Was able to pick up a skin for <$3.00.

My current unit was replaced by Palm on a warranty claim about 8 weeks ago when my then current 755p died the Access Screen of Death. At that time, Verizon Wireless had no 755p's in stock at any local stores, none in the warehouses, and admitted they did not have any in the supply chain from Palm (hence the necessity to have Palm honor the warranty claim).

I would recommend picking up the Centro if you're tethered to VZW, and waiting for '09's 'NOVA' Palm devices.

I wouldn't expect the 800w on VZW for at least another 4 months --- they tend to trail Sprint by 6 months due to 'testing requirements.' They claim that's why their smartphones have fewer issues.

That's debatable, but it's how it stands.

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by hgoldner View Post
    They claim that's why their smartphones have fewer issues.

That's debatable, but it's how it stands.

Harold
    Yeah they sure proved that one with the 755p </sarcasm>
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I think Verizon & Palm haven't been quite on the same page ever since the 700p debacle.

Actually, 2006 was a really bad year for Palm & Verizon....first the 700w was shipped with way too little RAM and then the 700p and all of its issues and the delayed availability of the VZW version of the 700p ROM update.

I'd say that the 1-2 punch of the 700w/700p disappointments led Verizon to drag their feet on releasing the 755p & Centro releases and yet again with the 800w (if the 800w even ends up making it to Verizon).

Remember, the 700p launched simultaneously on both VZW & Sprint but prior to that the 600 & 650 had appeared later on Verizon than anywhere else. So Verizon is probably quite skeptical of Palm's ability to hit the ground running with a bug-free handset at launch.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Oh yeah, totally forgot about the 700w problem (since I got the 700wx).
    I just left my local Verizon store and they had the 755 on display for $99 after rebates... They had not heard that it was being discontinued, nor had they heard that the 800w was coming anytime soon. They did however, show me the Dare, as if it were an actual smartphone...
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    On the day the Centro debuted (or is that de-****-ed?) on Verizon, they had the 755P listed at $99 at my local store. Of course, they had the Centro listed at a rediculous $279 or something similar. Not sure of the exact price, but it was way-expensive. Only after showing them the print-out from their own press releases did they realize the Centro was $99. I think even back then they were hoping they could talk anyone coming in looking for a Palm OS phone to get the 755P, thus reducing their stock of the old girl.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    About two weeks ago my wife and I decided we wanted to move from our palms + razrs to the 755p. We live in Wisconsin and the 755p was showing as out of stock. I asked about it on howardforums and someone said the website was showing in-stock for them and that they lived in SoCal.

So, I changed my location on the verizon website and signed-in to My Account. Voila! The 755p showed up as in-stock. I ordered two of them and they arrived the next day.
    I saw them on display yesterday in NYC in Sprint and VZ stores. No EOL signs.

BB
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info on this.

Since I am tethered to Verizon because of network coverage and didn't really want a Centro, I tried Zuke's advice. Instead of logging in as my Birmingham, Alabama, location, changed my location to Southern California. Sadly, the only Southern Cal Zip I knew off hand was 90210. (What can I say? I thought Jenny Garth, Tori Spelling and Shannon Whatshername were hot ... back in the day!) Apparently in Beverly Hills you can still get the 755p.

When I changed locations it showed as in stock. Placed my order and got a confirmation that it shipped earlier today.

So with a little tweaking of the system there are still 755ps to be found. Hopefully this will perform well and hold me over until the 09 Super Duper Treo or the iphone comes out with a keyboard and better network coverage.

If things go as Confirmation Emails have suggested today, I'll have my 755p tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks again for your input.
    Sweet, I'm glad it worked for you.
    I was told by a talkative and honest Verizon rep that the 755p has definitely been discontinued. He said the reason is that the phone is too easy to clone. I have no idea how easy that is, but if true, I wonder why Sprint (and other 755p carriers) aren't having the same problem. At any rate, it apparently isn't due to political conflicts between Verizon and Palm, nor is it performance issues with the phone. Instead it's a hacking/replicating issue. That's just what I heard anyway.
    ^^ That really sounds like a load of crap on his part.

I would much sooner believe something like the Centro is selling more so they decided to support the Centro (and possibly the 800w when it goes to verizon) instead of continuing the 755p.
    I wonder if they're referrign to the fact that people are flashing the 755 Rom to 700 which may be reducing the need to upgrade to the 755p. I have done it so obviously it wasn't very difficult.

This smells the same as the VZW rep who told me the reason they charge 44.99 for the 5gb data plan on my 700P but only 29.99 for the same on the Centro, because "they can control what you can do with the phone". Are these guys familiar with Palm OS. I haven't even loaded Versamial "Personal Edition and I have never used Wirelesssync and they probably know that since I've never hit their servers. Thus its garbage to think that they can control what you do with your data connection.