1.    #1  
    So i see a white box with diaganol red stripes on the battery and the inside of the phone. Does this mean water damage or not. I'm hoping that it turns solid red but i really don't know. I know they used to use a solid white dot that turns solid red when when water was present. Any know?
    I think the white box with diagonal stripes is how it was on my previous sprint phones. I do not see any water boxes on my current Centro.
  3.    #3  
    Come on people, show me some love. Can someone on here open their centro up and tell me what the water damage sticker inside our phone and on the battery looks like. I need to know if mine is registering water damage so i know if i'm screwed for getting a replacment. Some of my buttons aren't working properly!
    Quote Originally Posted by CentroLuva View Post
    Come on people, show me some love. Can someone on here open their centro up and tell me what the water damage sticker inside our phone and on the battery looks like. I need to know if mine is registering water damage so i know if i'm screwed for getting a replacment. Some of my buttons aren't working properly!
    If by opening up you mean unscrew - sorry, won't do that.

If not, then the European Centros must differ from the American ones in that detail.

Both the battery and the surroundings of my SD card are completely in various shades of grey.

Regards,

Jochen
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    The ATT GSM phones have white dot above the sim card on the left hand side wall (looking at the battery compartment, opposite the battery connector). Not sure about the CDMA phones. No water damage is pure white. I don't know if it solid or striped when activated and I'm not going to test it.

If you are talking about the holographic looking sticker that is on the battery, mine does NOT have stripes it just looks irridescent, if you will.

I do NOT, however, believe this to be the water damage indicator. Friend of mine had to have her Centro replaced, due to water damage, and the tech told her about the white to red indicator INSIDE the phone.

K
    Last edited by nchargreed; 07/22/2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: new info
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Come on people, show me some love. Can someone on here open their centro up and tell me what the water damage sticker inside our phone and on the battery looks like. I need to know if mine is registering water damage so i know if i'm screwed for getting a replacement. Some of my buttons aren't working properly!
    Mine does not have the sticker on my Centro, but from being a Sprint tech the stickers are usually either all white, striped or a X pattern. It was when the sticker went all pink or red that was when it had been in contact with moisture.

With that being said, I have opened plenty of phones where the sticker was was showing as liquid damage, but had no internal signs of any moisture. I have also seen the opposite though, where the sticker was still normal and the phone was all corroded on the inside.
    Mine's white with red stripes and hasn't been near water or high humidity.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    verizon=-

both battery and phone have rectangular red and white diagonal striped stickers. My phone is pristine without any water issues so not problem.

BTW- I read recently in popular mechanics that putting your phone in a bowl or bag of uncooked white rice will frequently dry it out enough to be fine.

Seemed crazy to me. But friend with one of the spinner vz tv phones dunked his in his kayak for 5 minutes before he notices. I told him what I read and he tried it and it actually worked! Battery was shorted to death but fresh battery and phone works fine now. Who'da thuink?
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the replies. It seems that mine doesn't have water damage then. Both battery and phone have the white box with red stripes. My key pad works except the menu button. Send, end, phone, contacts, categorie and email buttons don't! So i can't turn the phone on unless i remove the battery. I can still recieve phone calls because the 5-way navigation still works (thank god). I can work my way around the phone with the touch screen for the most part. So it looks like i'll be taking it to the techies. Thanks again everyone for the feedback!
    just a quick follow-up question to you. My centro did the same thing when my daughter sprayed me with the hose and my phone was in my hand the screen works...just not any of the keys. What did they tell you when you brought your centro in. Mine started working perfectly after a day in a bag of rice and is now doing the same thing. It seems the keys are on a "lockdown mode" only I don't know how to unlock them.
  12.    #12  
    Ladyluckmoore,

Lucky for me the battery water mark showed water damage but the water mark in the phone didn't. So I purchased a used battery on ebay and took it into Verizon. They had to replace the whole thing not know what the problems was. It was covered under warrenty and i got a new phone and battery . I was very lucky . I Must say the Centro isn't very water resistant at all. The water damage was only from a water bottle leaking ever so slight onto it when i was driving. I didn't think anything of it until I took the battery out. Check the water damage stickers.
    Anyone with Sprint see a water damage sticker? I dont see one anywhere. I got my Centro in Nov, 07.
    Well the rice bag worked again. My phone now seems to be working. It seems that the centro does not like the humidity of the indoor pool I work in. There is no indication that I can see that their is water damage by stickers outside the battery or the compartment. Where is the internal water damage sticker?
  15.    #15  
    On the Verizon Centro's the water damage sticker is next to the three prong connection under the bar code. On OEM Battery it is next the the three prong connection on the end. As stated before the sticker is rectangular with three diaganol red stripes. If water damage is present it will go solid red.
    umm y a myine batteriy is red which means water damage but what did u do to get ur phone to work again?
    centroluva,
    It is not a water damage, it is only a water indicating label that will turn solid red when water seeps in.
    if you look at the title "water damage" that i posted please read it and see if you might be able to help me
    the two round stickers can be seen if you remove the back cover (not just the battery cover, Duh). they are slightly smaller than a punch out for a 3 hole paper punch.

one is on the copper shield about 1/2" above the rightmost corner of the upc serial number sticker.

the other is directly behind the block on the opposite side of where you plug the power cord into the phone, about halfway between the jack and the data connection pins.

they turn red with ANY contact with ANY liquid it seems.

I know because my phone died with the "black screen, but red power led when you plug it in" death syndrome. It was flagged as "water damage" and is now blacklisted in Sprints computers, even though it never touched any water. a sprint repair guy got it up for 1 week again by dunking it in alchohol a bit (turning the sticker red on one half) but now any other attempts with compressed air or anything else don't work. I'm selling off all the spare parts that I can, want a new sticker anyone?
    Okay I have first hand knowledge of dropping my phone in clean water last weekend. It went totally underwater. This is a Sprint "updated" Green Centro. I didn't have any tools or way to dry the phone out (no heat or rice bags available). So after removing the battery first, I shook it as hard as I could to remove excess water. (I did what I knew I shouldn't is I stuck the battery back in, not a good thing, lots of things went crazy) Then I basically took all the accessories out and kept it in my pocket (to keep it warm) all night. In the morning I finally was able to get to the tools to take it apart. The phone was completely dry on the interior! Powered it back up and discovered everything works normally. Wheewwww! By the way, there was a water dot inside the phone case, mine was white, so I didn't know if that got wet or not.

Joey
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.