Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    EDIT: DO NOT DO THIS... if you switching from CDMA -> GSM or GSM -> CDMA. You will lose bluetooth antenna

Step by step instructions

Tools

Torx Driver - T5 & T6 Driver Set OR ( I had a set of mini flat head screw drivers)
    Razor Blade (cut off Stylus melted bump and cut off Sim Card raised bump)
    IF going from CDMA=>GSM
    Circuit writer OR (use your imagination on how to connection the two metal points on the board)
    First compare your phone camera window to the new casing camera window. If the new phone is covered by a black circle (to make the dummy phone look like there's a camera in there), you can just circle around the black part with the corner of a razor blade and make a cut out (without touching the window!) so that fake camera is not blocking the window.

Disassemble

1) Remove stylus (using razor blade to slice off bump), rubber antenna cover, battery cover (use some force – glued), and battery.
    2) Unscrew all 6 screws
    3) Back casing is clip on through the sides. Play around with it to pull out. Lift up the silver camera cover may help. You can also remove the port cover at the same time.
    4) There are two wiring harness that connects from the keyboard to the circuit board. First unlock each and pull. Now you should be able to pull out the board. Lifting up the camera cover my help.
    5) Remove keyboard/screen (one piece). They are clip on by the sides.
    6) Don’t forget to take out the Ear-Spear and vibrator.

Now compare your old case to the new and see the differences. You may notice the sim card slot and a metal peice where the point of the stylus reaches when inserted. That metal peice connects two points on the circuit board. I dont remember if the new casing connects it, what I did was just move that metal peice all together and connected the metal points with a circuit writer.

Assemble

1) Reverse my above steps…backwards. Start by putting in the Ear-speaker and vibrator. Make sure the Mute Switch corresponds to must switch on the board! You can swap the keyboard pads on now. To help align it, attached the keyboard from OUTSIDE the case after you place the keybaord circuit inside the case. The hardest part is getting the keyboard circuit flushed with the case. Play around with it, it clips in place.
    2) CDMA=>GSM conversion. You’ll notice the sim card slot bump will prevents the case from closing fully. You’ll have to cut of the sim card area. I used a razor blade.
    3) Before you actually screw in everything. Place battery in and Test out the sound/earpiece/mic/speaker/vibrator/keyboard.
    3) After everything is screwed. Peel off your old ESN # from the back of old case and apply to new case.
    4) Apply new Keyboard.

I’m writing this from memory. If I remember anything else, I’ll add it.

Update:

There's a clear plastic peice on the LED, Attached to the case. Dont forget to remove it (tweezer).

ORIGNAL POST

This require some modification, but worth it to me. As I bought my phone use (Sprint RED) but prefer ATT white glacier.

Palm actually made a REAL dummy phone compared to the previous palm phones. The dummy phone screws were real metal unlike the plastic treo 650 dummy. The only real difference I saw between the real and dummy was the camera hole. They wanted to make it look like there was a camera behind the clear plastic hole, so they put a black layer in there. I just cut out that black part with a razor.

Because this was a ATT display phone as oppose to a Sprint, there were some hardware modifications.
    1)Sim Card slot actually blocked the case from fully closing tight. I took the razor blade and cut out that raised bump.
    2)For some reason there's a metal thing that connects the two pins on the sprints hardware board. But that metal thing didn't fit well into the ATT casing. So I just took one of my circuit writer pen and connect it on the board.

EDIT:

I forgot to add... The dummy phone stylus not perfect. It looks like they took a melting iron and stab the stylus in the middle so it is no longer flat. So if someone tries to steal the stylus the bump is a stopper. I just took a razor and slice that bump off and I'm still using the stylus.

Also the battery cover is glue on, but just apply some pressue and it'll come right off.

Everything else was swappable.
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...360/centro.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...60/centro2.jpg
    Last edited by mxl360; 07/28/2008 at 02:37 AM.
    That's great!! Where can I get a white dummy? Heck, I'd really like one of the blue ones.
    Ebay. I bought one to replace scratches on mine from a unfortunate dropping. They have the new blue ones as of this post.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkw...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

how hard was it to swap between att and sprint? I didn't understand the 2 clips on the board thing. basically u unscew it from the back and the case comes off? no special tools? tx
    I want a pink sprint dummy phone lol.
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee View Post
    how hard was it to swap between att and sprint? I didn't understand the 2 clips on the board thing. basically u unscew it from the back and the case comes off? no special tools? tx
    Kind of hard to explain, but i'll try.

The circuit board have two metal contact points (parallel, but not touching). For reasons I can't explain they are only touching through a metal piece that sits on the middle plastic casing. The can only assume the purpose of having the metal piece on the middle casing so it knows when the phone still in tack. Because when you take off the casing, the metal contact points are no longer connected. Hmm... try taking off the battery, then look through the hole (bottom hole) where the end of the Stylus goes. You may see a metal piece. That is the piece I'm referring to that links the two contact points on the board. So on the ATT phone that piece is shape differently and doesn't fit.

BTW this is very similar to removing treo 650.
    use this link as a guild with removal.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=nZSY1rCjs68

You'll need a really really tiny screw set to get at the screws. I bought a set and use which that fitted.
    Last edited by mxl360; 07/20/2008 at 09:10 PM.
    This is great news.

My wife has the AT&T glacier white Centro but wants either a Red Sprint one, or the new Blue (and I don't want to pay for a whole new phone).

Will have to check ebay ....

EDIT: mxl360, your pictures, while good, would be GREAT if you used the MACRO function of your camera. This allows you to take close-up shots and get the focus to work properly. Not criticizing you, just trying to educate. Macro focus rocks for taking close-ups. Look it up in your camera's manual. The picture should look like a tulip or flower or something.
    Last edited by blacknoi; 07/21/2008 at 08:35 AM.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    great idea.. I might do the same for my Verizon as I love the white and not a big fan of the blue. VZW does not use a sim card, so I would be curious how that would effect doing this trick.

this also raises the question about how hard it would be to remove the provider logo without destroying the paint? I want the white, or black, but not the logo.
    Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    great idea.. I might do the same for my Verizon as I love the white and not a big fan of the blue. VZW does not use a sim card, so I would be curious how that would effect doing this trick.

this also raises the question about how hard it would be to remove the provider logo without destroying the paint? I want the white, or black, but not the logo.
    I've read on various forums that rubbing a SUGAR CUBE on the logo can take the carrier branding off the plastic, w/o scratching the plastic off underneath.

I'm not kidding. However I have yet to prove this myself...but people swear by it.
    Wow. I have been waiting for this tread for the longest. The silver back part is all scratched up on my Centro due to my refusal to get a case. I was considering to paint it, but this is a much much better option. I look forward to some better pictures and possibly Youtube videos.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I forgot to add... The dummy phone stylus not perfect. It looks like they took a melting iron and stab the stylus in the middle so it is no longer flat. So if someone tries to steal the stylus the bump is a stopper. I just took a razor and slice that bump off and I'm still using the stylus.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Step by step instructions

Tools

Torx Driver - T5 & T6 Driver Set OR ( I had a set of mini flat head screw drivers)
    Razor Blade (cut off Stylus melted bump and cut off Sim Card raised bump)
    IF going from CDMA=>GSM
    Circuit writer OR (use your imagination on how to connection the two metal points on the board)
    First compare your phone camera window to the new casing camera window. If the new phone is covered by a black circle (to make the dummy phone look like there's a camera in there), you can just circle around the black part with the corner of a razor blade and make a cut out (without touching the window!) so that fake camera is not blocking the window.

Disassemble

1) Remove stylus (using razor blade to slice off bump), rubber antenna cover, battery cover (use some force – glued), and battery.
    2) Unscrew all 6 screws
    3) Back casing is clip on through the sides. Play around with it to pull out. Lift up the silver camera cover may help. You can also remove the port cover at the same time.
    4) There are two wiring harness that connects from the keyboard to the circuit board. First unlock each and pull. Now you should be able to pull out the board. Lifting up the camera cover my help.
    5) Remove keyboard/screen (one piece). They are clip on by the sides.
    6) Don’t forget to take out the Ear-Spear and vibrator.

Now compare your old case to the new and see the differences. You may notice the sim card slot and a metal peice where the point of the stylus reaches when inserted. That metal peice connects two points on the circuit board. I dont remember if the new casing connects it, what I did was just move that metal peice all together and connected the metal points with a circuit writer.

Assemble

1) Reverse my above steps…backwards. Start by putting in the Ear-speaker and vibrator. Make sure the Mute Switch corresponds to must switch on the board! You can swap the keyboard pads on now. To help align it, attached the keyboard from OUTSIDE the case after you place the keybaord circuit inside the case. The hardest part is getting the keyboard circuit flushed with the case. Play around with it, it clips in place.
    2) CDMA=>GSM conversion. You’ll notice the sim card slot bump will prevents the case from closing fully. You’ll have to cut of the sim card area. I used a razor blade.
    3) Before you actually screw in everything. Place battery in and Test out the sound/earpiece/mic/speaker/vibrator/keyboard.
    3) After everything is screwed. Peel off your old ESN # from the back of old case and apply to new case.
    4) Apply new Keyboard.

I’m writing this from memory. If I remember anything else, I’ll add it.

Update:

There's a clear plastic peice on the LED, Attached to the case. Dont forget to remove it (tweezer).
    Last edited by mxl360; 07/25/2008 at 04:43 PM.
    I should ask... if I have a GSM centro, can I use the RED Sprint dummy case?

I'm thinking no, as there's no SIM card slot on the CDMA based dummy, right??
    Was the silver part changed as well or was it only the black exterior changed to white? The main purpose of changing mine is because the silver part of mine is really scratched up, on the back where the camera is, and on the sides.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Well according to this youtube video ( ) the silver part is indeed separate. Hopefully its the same on the dummy phone. I messed mine up by using the phone excessively while at the beach (salt ate the paint away )
    Would this void the sprint TEP insurance if I change the enclosure to pink? I am about to give my phone to my sister, and she wants pink.
    I've read on various forums that rubbing a SUGAR CUBE on the logo can take the carrier branding off the plastic, w/o scratching the plastic off underneath.
    I took mine off with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip came right off.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee View Post
    I took mine off with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip came right off.
    Was this on the CENTRO?
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by profroopchan View Post
    Would this void the sprint TEP insurance if I change the enclosure to pink? I am about to give my phone to my sister, and she wants pink.
    The silver part can be seperated. I dont BELIEVE insurance takes requires you to send your old phone (for example, if you lost it, how can you send it back?). It will void any Palm warrantee just by inscrewing.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Update:

DO NO DO THIS IF YOUR SWITCHING from GSM <->CDMA or CDMA <-> GSM. The bluetooth antenna doesn't sit correctly, so your BT antenna will not attach
    Last edited by mxl360; 07/28/2008 at 03:29 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast