Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Click on if you are interested...

Palm wants to remain your smartphone...

This is just an idea.

I know Palm is not selling a lot of 755p anyway now that Centro is selling like hotcakes

I know there are still A LOT i mean a LOT of treo 6++ users out there... prob still more than iPhone users all in all in the world

And Palm's strategy now is to keep the interest in the Palm OS alive while waiting for NOVA

ANd Palm is not making any more money with the 755p than the $99 Centro...

Why not Palm do a promo where oldtime Treo users can exchange their current Treos to a 755p for a $99 price...

I have a feeling many people will bite on that rather than to the iPhone craze.

THats just me. But if you clicked on this thread the title probably got you interested
    Last edited by bulls96; 07/18/2008 at 10:19 PM.
    Because they would probably preferr you switch over to WM, such as the 800w.

Just saying why it probably won't happen.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Because they would probably preferr you switch over to WM, such as the 800w.

Just saying why it probably won't happen.
    On the contrary, i think Palm wants more Palm OS phones in people's hands and they want you (and other current Treo users) to continue to own a Palm OS smartphone, not WIndows mobile...

The fact that they are willing to sell Palm OS smartphones at $99 right now is a testament that they are not currently looking for profits in the Palm OS line but more users.

i think at this point in terms of their Palm OS line and the future of the company, they would be more interested if people to have Palm OS smartphones in the hands of customers than Windows Mobile...

At least i think they want to keep current Palm OS Treo users in the Palm side of things.
    K, I guess that will be determined by how many WM phones are released versus Palm OS.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    K, I guess that will be determined by how many WM phones are released versus Palm OS.
    if you are gonna base it on how many WM phones are gonna be released then that would not be accurate. Garnett OS phones are EOL as we know it.

My proposal not only gives Palm a chance to get rid of the remaining unsold 755p's but also gives Treo users something to keep their hands busy with until Nova comes along.

Because seriously i dont think they are selling that many 755p's anymore at Sprint and Verizon because of the Centro. 755p is an awesome Palm OS phone and makes for a great stopgap product for current oldtime Treo users.

Besides, majority of Centro buyers are first time smartphone users, and most of the oldtimer Treo users are already flocking to the iPhone. Give them a nice deal for your last great Palm OS Treo and that will buy you more time to keep their Treo devotion alive.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I am already a 755p owner myself, but what a fantastic idea! I hope Palm is listening.
    A trade-in strategy like this for Palm OS users preferring the Treo form-factor is a valid approach to stem the end-of-life cannibalizing happening to Garnet Treos.
    Here is an opportunity to buttress the last few months of pre-Nova sales while keeping some users in the Palm market-share corner that BB and iPhone are otherwise peeling away.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    A good (if not great) idea in theory but Palm would NEVER do this. Why? Several reasons:

1. The carriers would be FURIOUS. Remember, the hardware is just icing on the cake for the wireless carriers. They dangle subsidized hardware in front of users to get them to re-up with 2year contracts. Palm selling a 755p for effectively 1/4 or 1/5 of what that device's full retail price is in the carrier stores would undermine the carriers' entire strategy for constantly keeping their customers tethered to a contract, thus guaranteeing continued revenue & lower churn. Say you're 12 months into a 2yr contract and have a 700p now. You buy the cheap 755p, sell your 700p, and then resign your contract next year when a Nova device hits. Neither Palm or the carriers are gonna have anything to do with a deal like that.

2. The carriers are now Palm's true customers, not you and me. Palm only does what's in the best interest of Palm & the carriers, not individual customers

3. Doing so would be a desperate move and Palm doesn't want to appear any worse off than they already are.

4. If customers who are, say, current 700p & 650 users right now, buy 755p's right now, then they'd be far less likely to to buy a Centro/800w right now as an stopgap device and also far less likely to wait for Nova to ship next year.

5. No, the best thing for Palm to do right now would be to simply lower the 755p to comparable (or slightly higher) price than the Centro and clear stocks on Verizon & Sprint that way.

6. Palm's per-device cost wth the 755p is also likely quite a big higher than the Centro. Is it better to write off a bunch of high-cost smartphones sold at a loss or better to keep pushing a cheaper to produce new device with razor-thin margins? I'm not an account so I cannot answer that.

7. Those trade-in things are usually run by some contracted 3rd party outfit and end up being an administrative nightmare filled with lots of unhappy customers (ala mail-in rebates). Besides, people won't like having to deal being totally phone-less for a few days unless Palm could come up with some kind of advance exchange program.

But I personaly feel Palm doesn't have THAT many 755p's sitting around anymore anyway. Already the 755p, with 2yr contract, online purchasing & "new every 2" $100 discount, is free on vzw.com. But as of last week they were sold out of them with no ETA for new stock. And one of my local VZW stores has already removed their 755p demo unit and just has the Centro alongside the usual WM & BB units and an ancient 700wx.

I think Palm just wants to quietly EOL the remaining Garnet-based Treos to have a clear device strategy going forward:

-Centro. Consumer-oriented cheap smartphones in a variety of colors running Garnet or perhaps eventually Nova
    -Treo. Business-oriented WM-based smartphones with conservative styling and higher margins/lower volumes
    -Quattro? Veld?-Prosumer-oriented high-end smartphones that place an emphasis on bells'n whistles running Nova.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  8.    #8  
    Responses in red:

1. The carriers would be FURIOUS. Remember, the hardware is just icing on the cake for the wireless carriers. They dangle subsidized hardware in front of users to get them to re-up with 2year contracts. Palm selling a 755p for effectively 1/4 or 1/5 of what that device's full retail price is in the carrier stores would undermine the carriers' entire strategy for constantly keeping their customers tethered to a contract, thus guaranteeing continued revenue & lower churn. Say you're 12 months into a 2yr contract and have a 700p now. You buy the cheap 755p, sell your 700p, and then resign your contract next year when a Nova device hits. Neither Palm or the carriers are gonna have anything to do with a deal like that.

Agreed the carriers will be the biggest factor. However, what prevents them from dangling a year or two contract extension to get this deal? They want to sell phones and keep customers... getting a brand new Treo will deter them from shifting carriers to get the "newer" phones. I dont see a reason why there cannot be a WIN-WIN solution for both parties. 700p owners should be up for upgrades by now because if i remember right, it was released 2 years ago and it is the 755p owners who would be within the 12 month range in their contracts

2. The carriers are now Palm's true customers, not you and me. Palm only does what's in the best interest of Palm & the carriers, not individual customers

Like i said it can be a WIN-WIN solution for both Palm and carriers

3. Doing so would be a desperate move and Palm doesn't want to appear any worse off than they already are.

I dont think Palm can look any more desperate than they look right now wuite frankly the way they are selling their Centros at $70. On the contrary, i think the blogsphere will be a buzz about this "promo offering" because they will see it as a bright move to keep Palm OS users Palm OS users

4. If customers who are, say, current 700p & 650 users right now, buy 755p's right now, then they'd be far less likely to to buy a Centro/800w right now as an stopgap device and also far less likely to wait for Nova to ship next year.

Which is more likely RIGHT NOW.... Treo 600/700p users today going to AT&T to get the iPhone or is it more likely for them to get the Centro. I think the surveys have shown that the Centro buyers now are mostly first time users, and a lot of current iPhone users owned a Treo prior to getting the iPhone... you can do the math

5. No, the best thing for Palm to do right now would be to simply lower the 755p to comparable (or slightly higher) price than the Centro and clear stocks on Verizon & Sprint that way.

This will be a problem because the difference between $199 and $99 is not all that much, and that would in turn EAT into Centro's sales

6. Palm's per-device cost wth the 755p is also likely quite a big higher than the Centro. Is it better to write off a bunch of high-cost smartphones sold at a loss or better to keep pushing a cheaper to produce new device with razor-thin margins? I'm not an account so I cannot answer that.

$99 dollars and keeping current Treo owners in the Palm OS side is better than a Treo 755p lying around

7. Those trade-in things are usually run by some contracted 3rd party outfit and end up being an administrative nightmare filled with lots of unhappy customers (ala mail-in rebates). Besides, people won't like having to deal being totally phone-less for a few days unless Palm could come up with some kind of advance exchange program.

I think it wont be that hard to get 755p's already in stores out of the shelves, or even ship 755p's any more than they already are
  9.    #9  
    This just in: Verizon phasing out 755p!!

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/7...the-treo-755p/

A quick check on the Verizon site has them going down on its price to $99 and it's out of stock.

Either a sign that Palm is stopping making 755p's or that demand was really high at $99...

Another indicator that 755p is on the way out, and that Palm may very well be better off selling them off at $99 now...

Again, it's a great stop-gap device before Nova hits.
    I ordered mine mid-afternoon yesterday (Monday) and it's on the FEDEX delivery truck for today. The VZW rep told me that they are in short supply at their distro center in Ontario CA, but that they still have some.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Remember folks...Verizon dumping the 755p is not the same as it going out of production entirely and/or ceasing to be offered on all CDMA carriers. The 755p is on its "B" hardware rev. for Sprint now, which suggests that both a lot of 755p's have already been manufactured, that a fair number of 755p's probably still remain in the channels. IMHO, they wouldn't really go to the trouble & cost of sourcing/tweaking the aging 755p if it was going to be EOL'd any day now.

I would imagine Sprint (and probably Alltel) will keep the 755p around at least through the back-to-school shopping season ends or maybe until October or so. Then Palm can officially EOL the 755p, the 680 and all of the 3 remaining PDAs and ride the new WM Treos & the Centro through into '09.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    The life cycle of phones is so short anyways. You can usually still order them on the manufacturers website also.

Sprint discontinued the Moto q9c already, but you can still order it on the motorola site.
  13.    #13  
    My point now is that it is it is very feasible to sell the Treo 755p for $99 now that Verizon is selling it at that price point.

It would be nice though to get a word from Palm where they are in terms of the 755p line.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    VZW 755p is EOL'd. Sprint & Alltel 755p versions are still an active model but I'd expect them to be EOL'd within 2-3 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    My point now is that it is it is very feasible to sell the Treo 755p for $99 now that Verizon is selling it at that price point.

It would be nice though to get a word from Palm where they are in terms of the 755p line.
    I don't really think they have a huge incentive to lower the price though. They most likely aren't going to get verizon converts because of the 755p and the Sprint data plan costs FAR outweigh any difference in price between the Verizon and Sprint phones.

So even if Verizon sells the phone for less, the plan costs would make up the difference in what, maybe a few months?
  16.    #16  
    I'm really pulling for this....

Just had it published over at PalmAddict. I hope Palm reads at least.

http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...e-your-ol.html
    When my 700p finally dies, I would jump on a $99 755p (rev. B of course) in a heartbeat, if not before. I have the insurance, and they have replaced my old 650 and 700p's several times each (many times giving me faulty units that I would have to take back into the stores for further replacements).

I'd easily save the $99 in gas traveling back & forth to the Sprint stores, in spite of having insurance on my phone.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Might want to check the TC marketplace for sale forums. Several "like new" Rev B Sprint blue 755p's there at the moment.
  19.    #19  
    Alltel has joined in and is now selling the 755p for $99 only!

http://www.shopalltel.com/product/pr...htm?prId=33369

WHy won't Palm just come out and say they are selling their Palm OS Treos for $99 now instead of these behind the scenes decreases in prices.

Sprint is the only one left selling the 755p for $200.

They should come out with this promo NOW.
    i had a palm treo 650 for 2.5 years. the darn thing started to die on me officially, and I took it in for repairs. Because I didn't have insurance, it would cost me $55 to replace it. They were going to replace it with a refurbished centro. I told them since I was a customer with Sprint for 3 years now, and I wasn't under contract, I wanted them to upgrade me to a brand new 755p. At first the girl said she couldn't do it, but little flirting with her, and being a bit pushy and demanding, the deal was done. A brand new 755p for $55, and traded in my old beat up trusty 650. Viola, I feel like a new man with this phone .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast