1.    #1  
    I cannot get the Java installer from IBM onto my phone. I used this link http://mytreo.net/downloads/ibm-webs...hine,1313.html
    and another on centrosite.com, and they are basically the same.

I don't know if since IBM won't let those sites distribute the Java installer anymore, the new users are left without anything to let them use a more normal browser.

I have been trying to access a site, and a I was recommended to download Opera Mini 4 and the Java platform with it, well their website never mentioned a Java platform, so I tried to get the IBM one, and I unzipped the file and dragged it to the Quick Install, but I get a message saying there are no compatible files in the folder, so I never actually get to put the program on the phone.

Is there another web browser I can use that will already have all the Java stuff in the files? Is there a mobile version of Firefox? I really like using that browser on my computer because of the automatic spell checking.
    only two files from that zip file need to be installed you can find them under (PalmOS JVM 5.7.2-jvm-Simulator)
    when in the simulator folder look for:
    J9JavaVMMidp20_es.prc and j9pref.prc

install those using hotsync and you will see in the ram that those two files make 8 files after installation

as for Firefox mobile its in development but who know when it will come out
    let me know if you need more help
  3.    #3  
    Thanks so much for the help. I moved those files to the Quick Install, and I will test it in a few minutes when I sync.
    Prepare to be frustrated. The Java implementation for Palm is really buggy.

Opera Mini 3 works pretty good but version 4 will lock up the Centro within minutes.
  5.    #5  
    Okay, now I can't find where the java files went. I wasn't sure if I had to do something to them after the sync, so I downloaded Opera again, and it's telling me the same message about how I have to have Java. What did I fail to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Squishy506 View Post
    Okay, now I can't find where the java files went. I wasn't sure if I had to do something to them after the sync, so I downloaded Opera again, and it's telling me the same message about how I have to have Java. What did I fail to do?
    First, use a file manager like Filez or Resco Explorer to look for a bunch of J9 files in the device RAM. If you don't see at least 8 J9 files, Java has not properly installed. Also, go to your launcher and look for IBM Java VM application and look in the device prefs panel (at the bottom) and look for IBM Java VM in there too. If you do not see these, Java is not properly installed.

If you don't have the JVM 5.7.2 zip (about 12 megs in size) with the ARM4T folder, download the zip from the mytreo.net library to your desktop.

Now open the Java 5.7.2 zip and navigate to the PalmOSJVM 5.7.2/JVM/ARM4T folder and install the:

J9JavaVMMidp20.prc....and
    JavaVMCheck_enUS.prc

files via hotsync to your device RAM.

When the two files are properly installed via hotsync, you will see the IBM Java application in your launcher and the IBM Java in the device Prefs panel. There will also be at least 8 more Java files automagically created in the RAM by the two hotsynced files.

Now you can install Opera Mini and it will work.

There is also a readme and WEME user guide in the documentaion folder that is packed in the zip.

Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    J9JavaVMMidp20.prc....and
    JavaVMCheck_enUS.prc
    treotraveler,
    I always thought you only install the JavaVMCheck_enUSprc. and not the other one?

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    treotraveler,
    I always thought you only install the JavaVMCheck_enUSprc. and not the other one?

TIA
    Hey Turbo

The Midp20.prc file is the IBM Java app in the RAM, which is used to install .jad and .jar applets.

The VMCheck.prc is for setting Java parameters from the device Prefs panel.

Installing the two Java files I mentioned above via hotsync or email will trip the trigger for them to create the other eight Java files needed for Java to work.

Copy and paste to RAM won't trip the trigger for the auto create of the needed files.

Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Hey Turbo

The Midp20.prc file is the IBM Java app in the RAM, which is used to install .jad and .jar applets.

The VMCheck.prc is for setting Java parameters from the device Prefs panel.

Installing the two Java files I mentioned above via hotsync or email will trip the trigger for them to create the other eight Java files needed for Java to work.

Copy and paste to RAM won't trip the trigger for the auto create of the needed files.

Tks for the clarification treotraveler.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
  10.    #10  
    The application launcher is the icon on the phone that looks like a house, right? Becuase if so, there is no IBM in it. Smartphones are very new to me, so I may need to be patronized.

Turbo Tiger, I am from New Iberia. Where are you?
    The application launcher is the icon on the phone that looks like a house, right? Becuase if so, there is no IBM in it. Smartphones are very new to me, so I may need to be patronized.

Turbo Tiger, I am from New Iberia. Where are you?
    New Orleans (Metairie to be specific)

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    That's correct. The launcher is the button with a little house on it.

If you don't see the globe and IBM Java in your launcher, it is not properly installed.

Refer to my post above.

Further patronizing, only occurs with a substantial fee

13.    #13  
    TurboTiger, one of my boyfriends was from Metairie. Brandon Fayette.You probably don't know him.

Okay, I will try to dl it again with the mytreo library when I get home. Whew! All the things we take for granted in the modern day. I'm at work now, and our internet is down, so I have to occupy my time on my phone.

I meant "get to."
  14.    #14  
    Okay, Treotraveler, I downloaded Filez, but I don't know how to use it. I can't figure out how to look for files. There doesn't seem to be RAM listed anywhere.

I went down to the bottom of the preferences and found the J9 stuff. Then I clicked in there, but now I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it. It is Java App: Opera Mini 4.1 at the top of the screen. I reinstalled those two files, but nothing has shown up in the applications. Am I supposed to do something with the J9 in the preferences? I have tried to launch a couple of things through there, but it soft resets my phone.
    OK Squishy.....

After you downloaded the JVM zip to your desktop, and extracted the Java folders to a temp folder on your desktop.....

What files (exact file names please) are you trying to install and by exactly what means are you using to install them and exactly where are you installing them to on your device.

This is not difficult. You need to extract the two files I mentioned in a post above and install them by hotsync to the device RAM.

So, If you could, please explain exactly what you are doing....

16.    #16  
    Okay, so I took the two files called J9JavaVMMidp20.prc and
    JavaVMCheck_enUS.prc and put them in the Device part of Palm Quick Installer as opposed to my SD card spot so it would install to the harddrive and not the card.

Then I sycned, and I found all the files when I went through to delete Filez. They were on the device labeled the file names you said they would be, but I have no idea how to access them outside the Deleting window.

Assuming they worked, I tapped the Opera icon, and my phone did a soft reset. I deleted the other JM files I had (I don't know how I got more than the ones you told me to put in, probably from a former install where I put the whole extracted ZIP of the IBM java on the phone), and I tried to launch Opera again.

Another soft reset.

Then I deleted all Java related files, including the two you specifically told me to put on the phone, and the Opera gave me the usual message of "Please ensure that IBM's Websphere Micro Environment Java VM is installed."

I know it can't be that hard and that either something has changed with the sites that offer the Java for download or that there is something up with the way I sync stuff. Is that all you do to install something? Drag it over to the Quick Install and press the hotsync button on the cable? In the past when I've used that method to add mp3 files to the phone, it worked, but I don't have to install an mp3 file.
  17.    #17  
    I found the thread started by someone trying to access the same site I am, the whole reason I wanted to get Opera. I don't know if it'll help or not, but I noticed she was able to get hers to work only a few weeks ago, so I suppose nothing has gone wrong with the java files I tried to download.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=166095
    OK, When you hotsync the two files to the device, 8 more files are auto created in the device memory. This is what it's suppose to do. I mentioned this above.

Now you can install Opera Mini. Opera Mini won't work without the Java being installed properly. What version of Opera Mini are you installing? I use, as well as many others, Opera Mini beta 4.1. The 4.1 beta version is the most stable.

Once the two Java files are properly installed, you do not have to do anything with the J9 files in the RAM (device memory).
    You do have to go into the device prefs panel and tweak the Java settings. There are many posts here at T|C with this info.

Also, you have to have sufficient device cache available to run Opera Mini. Opera will also use a lot of cache, because it is connecting to the Opera server for everything. Opera Mini is a proxy browser to the Opera server. Your Opera history and cookies are stored on the Opera server too.

How much device memory do you have available? You can find this info from the default launcher. Also, you can use Resco Explorer or MemInfo to see what your available cache is after a soft reset.

Your device Cache will be low if you have a full device memory.