1.    #1  
    Ok, I can't figure this out. I've been a Palm user since the M500 and I've invested about $300 in software over the years. I currently have about $150 in palm os software that I use EVERYday. Splash money, Ptunes, mundu etc. Just to say I'm trying to get my moneys worth out of my 3rd party software.

I don't get it when a palm os guy say "I can't wait for the newest, latest, greatest WinTreo". Is there "credit" givin to these guys for incompatible SW from 3rd party vendors? Am I missing something? Or do they just eat the price of replacing the SW?

The only other scenario I can think of is, and it turns my stomach to think this might happen. Are there people that have Treos with no software. To me that kinda defeats the purpose of the device, Money management, productivity, efficient use of time. Not to mention a waste of a $600 investment if its just gonna be a paperweight.

Why buy a treo if your not gonna get your moneys worth and beat your treo like a rented mule?

I'm confused.
    Last edited by phalerider; 07/18/2008 at 07:23 AM.
    I'm with you, I have a lot of money invested in 3rd party Palm apps, which I love and use daily. I personally am satisfied, and well................ if it ain't broke ............

I also think a lot of people get bored and have a "grass is always greener" mentality. I have used windows mobile and IMO I would never go there again.

Some say that developers are jumping ship from the Palm OS, so we will be limited in the future for software. But I have about all I will need to stay efficient, entertained and on-time with my Palm Treo, just with what I own now.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Most of the business users of Treos (and WinMob, BBs, iPhones etc) are running their devices totally stock or close to it. Sure, they might have an updated version of GMM installed or maybe a solitaire or Bejeweled game. But for the most part, all of the non-power users I know pretty much have "empty" devices. Same goes for the people with 500gb HDs on their computers who have maybe 3-4 games installed alongside MS Office and the usual essentials (security apps, Adobe Reader etc).

It's long been discussed that Palm's increasingly generous software bundles on Treos (and especially the Centro) are a double-edged sword, as more out of the box functionality makes folks LESS likely to download, try, and buy new or extra apps from 3rd party developers.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    What I dont get is why buy a $500 or $600 phone and then have to put hundreds of dollars of software on that phone. I have had a treo since the 300 and think its silly that a phone shouldnt just work right out of the box. I can understand if you want to customize it a bit but thats what I have loved about treos is they do pretty much what I need them to do.
    To each his own I guess.
    A lot of people utilize StyleTap to run palm apps on WM, so they don't necessarily just eat the cost of old software they paid for.

Also, there isn't much difference between buying new software for a new OS and paying to upgrade old software on Palm.

Keep in mind that continued interest in 3rd party development is good for the phone manufacturers and for phone sales in general, whether or not you are content with what is already released.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post

Also, there isn't much difference between buying new software for a new OS and paying to upgrade old software on Palm.
    There is a lot of software on POS that doesn't require paying for upgrades. Also, much of the software is good "as is" if you don't need the added functionality. 2day, TakePhone, Chatter, etc. don't require paying for upgrades.

I am also finding a lot of the software (that was free) I have on my POS would cost me money on WM. The Keycaps equivelant comes to mind and I am sure I will run into others.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Those are 3rd party developers giving you "free upgrades", which just reinforces my point that you should care about 3rd party developers remaining interested in developing for your platform, even if you are happy with what is out there.

That is if you want to keep getting those free updates and apps...
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for shedding some light on that for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Those are 3rd party developers giving you "free upgrades", which just reinforces my point that you should care about 3rd party developers remaining interested in developing for your platform, even if you are happy with what is out there.

That is if you want to keep getting those free updates and apps...
    This is a good point, and I did not intend to relay that I was done being interested in 3rd party apps. Looking at my signature will show you I am an application junkie and I always say that I am done............... and then I see another cool program.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwood View Post
    What I dont get is why buy a $500 or $600 phone and then have to put hundreds of dollars of software on that phone. I have had a treo since the 300 and think its silly that a phone shouldnt just work right out of the box. I can understand if you want to customize it a bit but thats what I have loved about treos is they do pretty much what I need them to do.
    To each his own I guess.
    See, I can't understand why anyone would pay $500 or $600 for a phone!

Now, if you want/need a PDA/Phone/WebBrowser/Email/LotsaOtherThings device, that would be worth the $500 - $600.

Then, of course, you have to get the things to customize what you want it to do.

Sheesh, I can get a phone for free!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Now, if you want/need a PDA/Phone/WebBrowser/Email/LotsaOtherThings device, that would be worth the $500 - $600.
    Generally speaking that is why people do. But also, even if you buy the crappy, standard cell phones, they can be list priced at $200 or so if you are still in a contract and not eligible for upgrade discounts.