Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Short version->

Palm user for many years but got impatient waiting for new plam devices in the fall- tried an HTC winmo phone (xv6800) for about 6 months and in the end decided to go back to palm.

Long version->

Started with Palm years ago with a sprint treo 600. Moved to a sprint 650. Then to a Verizon 650. And then to a verizon 700p. Around last fall really got sick of the 700p’s “lags” and no response/ botched response from palm and also the lack of any successor to the 700p for verizon.

So I broke down and switched to an HTC XV6800 (the verizon version of the sprint mogul). At first I was really amazed by the added things I got. The longer screen was very nice for web browsing. Flash on the camera was great to have. Wifi seemed neat. Took some getting used to the slider form factor but it was doable. I was pleasantly surprised by the software available for winmo- I was under the impression that the palms catalog was much bigger- not so sure anymore- there is tons of winmo stuff too. I also liked some of the windows features- ability to play WMA so Sirius steaming works, flash so youtube worked (before they ipodized youtube with mpeg4 flash was needed) HTML email and exchange active sync that just worked nicely for all PIM stuff. The ‘flashier ui’ was really nice too. A built in file manager is great to have for free (coupled with a ‘normal’ fuile structure like we’re used to on pc’s). And multi tasking definitely has it’s pluses. The today screen is pretty cool to be able to customize with all sorts of gadgets.

But over time I learned that just like everything else- MS overthinks everything and isn’t able to make a user friendly ui. The os is bloated as hell- people with palm devices complaining of lags should really borrow a winmo device for a few days- you will thank your lucky stars how snappy palm os is. (this may be because the xv6800 has only 64k ram and like all windows os’s you need tons of memory- newer 128 devices might be better). At times the answer button took soo long to actually answer that the call went to voicemail- never had that on palm. Even once it answered I had to give it about 2-3 seconds to catch up with my car’s Bluetooth befor I could talk. Opening larger folders with the file explorer makes you star at a spinning ball (the hour glass for winmo) for what seems like 20 minutes before the device responds. Multi tasking is nice- but switching between apps sometimes takes forever and the stupid spinning ball- and somehow MS still hasn’t learned memory management- how is it on an OS that is supposed to close unused apps (you cant close your self without jumping through hoops or hacks) that it can give an error that too many apps are open?

The UI just plan blows. It’s just not real easy to use one handed (although that may be the form factor not having qwerty on the front). First off palm comes with a keyguard- it’s amazing but there is no usable built in keyguard on winmo so you are forced to use 3rd party hacks- none of which are as simple and elegant as the silly little built in palm keyguard or like those found on any modern cell phone. Seriously half the phones in the world have automatic keyguard with “press the centre button” or “123” or “*” to unlock- not winmo….) You can watch flash video, stream sirius, use voice recognition and tons of neat stuff but the stupid OS wont let you lock and unlock the darn keys on the phone with any ease. AMAZING. The treo’s 4 hard app buttons are sorely missed with winmo. Even worse- with all the multi tasking you cant easily just press the one button and go back to were you were like you can with palm- the device just loves it’s fancy today screen so much that you always get sent there so there’s way more button (or screen) presses needed for everything. Feh!

So over time I got sick and tired of the extra time it takes to do ANYTHING- unlock the phone with a bunch of actions, aim to where I want to go, flip the keyboard open and spin it sideways to start typing. So when vz got the centro I had enough and decided to try it out.

BOY AM I GLAD to be back on palm OS. OS seems basically exactly the same as the treo 700p (which awas like the 650 which was like the 600), still I’m thrilled. The centro is nice and small but the keyboard does take some getting used to and the battery life does kind of blow- hopefully soon siedio gets the papoose battery back in stock. I LOVE the front keyboard again. I love the simple hard buttons that get me to where I want to be almost instantly. I like the quick response (on winmo turning on Bluetooth might take 10-15 seconds. On palm os I can use power hero to actually turn it on at every phone call and still answer the phone way before it goes to VM and then just start to talk and my car is ready to go).

What do I miss- I really really like the extra screen real estate in the rectangle screen even though it has less pixels (320x 240 vs 320x320)? It’s nice for browsing and great for most pim things- reading email, checking your calendar, etc. While it’s not a deal killer multi tasking is very nice at times- you can load a webpage in the background, look up a contact, and then send an email all at the same time. I also miss the various profiles applications you could get on the windows- can’t seem to find anything on palm like it- while the hard switch to kill noises and go to vibrate is nice I also would like to be able to kill noise AND vibration easily at night while I’m asleep. And it’s neat to just turn on the loudest ringer and vibrate for ring tone when I’m at a construction site or a baseball stadium with a click or 2 on the today screen. Power hero for the palm controls the backlight and Bluetooth to save battery so I’m half covered there. What hurts me the most personally is the inability to stream sirius radio like you can on windows.

So overall- I prefer dog tired old Palm OS Treo/Centro to current generation windows mobile with slider keyboard.

From what I read palm seems to know how to customize the winmo OS to make it less laggy or more user friendly. If vz had the 800w I might have tried that and gotten the best of both worlds but I cant see myself going to years old 700wx and hoping that cuts the mustard.

So to my current perfect device would be the 800w but with a longer screen and less bezel so there’s more viewing area on screen. (assuming it is really true that palm knows how to tweak the winmo os to be better).

Maybe the next generation palm os will built on all that is great with the current palm os but incorporate some of the nice windows features like today screen. Multitasking will be nice to have in a palm. And maybe there will be 3rd party apps for profiles and to play sirius radio again. I’d give the 800 hardware with such an OS a shot for sure. Slap a rectangle screen in it and I’m almost certain to jump and be ecstatic.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    efudd, I am one step behind you. Have had a 650 for 3 years. If centro came out 3 months ago, I would be on it. But now with the treo 800 coming soon, I am willing to give wm a try. I did try it on the samsung 760, but I want one hand operation, and the slider form factor doesn't do it. I tried a curve, but found that its great for email, but truthfully, POS is really great and intuitive for 1 hand operation!

But the 800w has wm6.1, and it has the treo buttons, and the treo interface.

Today my 650 died. I am torn between just getting a centro, but if I do that , I can't get the 800 without paying full retail. So I am now just using an old flip phone , waiting to see how the 800 plays out. Its going to be tough if vzw delays the 800.. cause I know that the centro will do it all for me, but the lure of gps, revA, and wifi , none of which I will use lots, but it just seems that if I am getting aphone going forward for the next 2 years, shouldn't it have these things?
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    And maybe there will be 3rd party apps for profiles
    That's already covered by a couple of applications

eg Freeware Profiles
    I also have tried the WM route before with 3 different models. The 800W is the only one I intend to keep. The 1-handed operation is great, the Windows OS works, but it sure is awkward at times.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    That's already covered by a couple of applications

eg Freeware Profiles
    THANKS for the pointer. I searched and searched. I even have the profiles already installed but it didn't control everything on the centro and crashed a bunch- but your link has a version that supports the centro.

thank you thank you.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    efudd, I am one step behind you. Have had a 650 for 3 years. If centro came out 3 months ago, I would be on it. But now with the treo 800 coming soon, I am willing to give wm a try. I did try it on the samsung 760, but I want one hand operation, and the slider form factor doesn't do it. I tried a curve, but found that its great for email, but truthfully, POS is really great and intuitive for 1 hand operation!

But the 800w has wm6.1, and it has the treo buttons, and the treo interface.

Today my 650 died. I am torn between just getting a centro, but if I do that , I can't get the 800 without paying full retail. So I am now just using an old flip phone , waiting to see how the 800 plays out. Its going to be tough if vzw delays the 800.. cause I know that the centro will do it all for me, but the lure of gps, revA, and wifi , none of which I will use lots, but it just seems that if I am getting aphone going forward for the next 2 years, shouldn't it have these things?
    one suggestion- call them and be upfront and ask if you can buy the asurion insurance today and get coverage.

I have no idea if vz/assurion allows it but with other similar things in the past vendors have offered me to buy the insurance after the fact if I agreed to keep it for x months after. they hope they get you in for life by being generous. the insurance is like 7 a month I think so if you get lucky and they allow it and say have to buy 6 months that would be 42 bucks and likely assurion will sent you a 700p or maybe a 750(or is it 755)p.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    forgot to add in my first post my shock that windows internet explorer sucks to bad on winmo.

its neat that it has 3 views (basically full page like blazer but then 2 other column view type settings instead of the 1 that blazer offers). but here's the catch- I figured since blazer is older then most any of my underwear that ie on winmo would always work better. well no. sometimes it handles some pages better but other times neither of its smaller views will render a page as well as blazers column view. how is it that the company that makes the dominant browser in the world can't get their mobile version to work as well as little dink blazer?
    Yeah, Blazer really is amazing on the Centro. Great review on the Windows Mobile vs Palm. I have a Mogul in my house, and the times I have played with it, I had the exact experiences you did. And since I have used Palm OS for over 10 years, WindowsCE always was way behind in the UI for the fast and easy to use "organizer" that the devices were marketed as. And to this day WM is still WAY off the mark. They (MS) have left the door WIDE open for years for Palm to step through (which they didn't until the Centro) and Apple finally decided to drive their Mac truck through the door with the iPhone. Rightfully so because WM is just not appropriate for a phone/organizer and never has been.
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    efudd, do have insurance, but will only give me a 650 (which at this point is a refurb). Not sure I want to spend $50 to wait 3 months till vzw gets it.

bclinger; what's your impression of the 800. i think i am going to go to a sprint store and check one out. If its good, I can wait. I know wm is different, my son has phone with it, and its kinda of complex compared to POS, however, from what I read on the 800w forum, it seems Palm has integrated real well. The phones I tried with it were sliders, and that bothered me with the wm. Also, they were wm6, not 6.1

Otherwise, centro is way to go.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Hey Guys,

I started back with Sprint almost 2 years ago after I moved out and the good ole mom told me to get my own cell phone that she no longer wanted to be on a plan with me (long story).

I signed up with Sprint back in 2006 on the SERO $30 plan and my first phone was the Treo 700P. This was my 2nd Treo. My first was when I was on Verizon I had a Sprint 650 that was programmed to use on Verizon...Anyways I loved the 700p and I used that phone for about 3 months till I said...hmm let me try the 700wx I want to play with Windows Mobile a little bit...

The 700wx was a good phone...I terribly missed the Simple and ease of use with the Palm Operating System and things I could do in 1 or 2 clicks now I had to go through multiple menus..

I was tempted and went ahead and I got the Treo 755p when it came out and I sold the 700Wx…

I was hooked on the “Antenna Less” 755p and it was a swell looking phone. I had batteries for the phone Galore (Thanks to a Sprint Store Hookup) bit it was a bit large for my belt…

I lastly settled on a Sprint Centro the day that it came out…actually 3 days before it came out. I have been extremely happy with the phone ever since. It does everything I need. Agendus, Mobi TV. Pocket Tunes. Splash Money and Splash Id to name a few.

I thought let me see the Hype of the new Treo 800W. I got one the Sunday it was released and I took it hope to play around with it…It was ok but the simple use of the Palm Os went away and here was a Miniature Pc. I kept the darn thing for 2 days and then brought it back to the store….

Conclusion: I am going to stick with my Palm Centro. I have the 8GB memory card for it and 5 Batteries… (Thanks Sprint Store Hookup). I have been through one Centro that had to be replaced due to the speaker going out. Other than that this has been a rock solid phone…and I have since upgraded to the $49 SERO because I kept going over my Minutes…good move though…
    Police Officer: Sir, your eyes are red, are you drunk?

Drunk Driver: Officer, have you been eating donuts, your eyes are glazed?