Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys! I just recently purchased a new HP notebook. Of course it is loaded w/ Vista and I'm enjoying it so far. My last notebook was loaded with XP and I had no problems hot syncing or using Pdanet to browse the web. I loaded the Palm sofware and attempted to sync, I now get a "found new hardware" message that keeps popping up as Vista struggles to find a "driver" for this hardware. I've tried everything I know of to get Vista to recognize my treo but with no luck. Pdanet wont even let me load it till I get the "driver" error fixed. Any suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4everedeemed View Post
    Hi guys! I just recently purchased a new HP notebook. Of course it is loaded w/ Vista and I'm enjoying it so far. My last notebook was loaded with XP and I had no problems hot syncing or using Pdanet to browse the web. I loaded the Palm sofware and attempted to sync, I now get a "found new hardware" message that keeps popping up as Vista struggles to find a "driver" for this hardware. I've tried everything I know of to get Vista to recognize my treo but with no luck. Pdanet wont even let me load it till I get the "driver" error fixed. Any suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    dump vista like everyone...
    Never had any problems with Vista and the 755p.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4everedeemed View Post
    Did you install the Vista version of Hotsync Manager or the one that came with the 755? You can get the Vista version HERE

I would make sure you a complete unistall of the old and reboot before you install the new.

I've had no problems with Vista and the 755 (or Centro) so far.
    Vinnie
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I'm quite pleased with Vista & my 755p & TX, actually. I still don't like the cut-down "generic" version of Palm Desktop but at least Palm & Access FINALLY rolled out a version for Vista! I muddled through the first half of '07 without a decent beta version of Palm Desktop that was Vista-certified!

If you have it installed properly (right/updated drivers etc) and your hardware is up to par, and you know what services/fluff to disable & what to leave on, Vista is a stable, reasonably fast and secure OS. Far better than XP (which has aged well but is STILL a 7+ year old OS).
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I'm syncing a 755p to two different computers, one running XP, the other using Vista. No problems with either one. But you do need the OS-specific Palm desktop software.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Never had any problems with Vista and the 755p.
    Are you using Vista 64 bit or 32 bit?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by john_v View Post
    Did you install the Vista version of Hotsync Manager or the one that came with the 755? You can get the Vista version HERE

I would make sure you a complete unistall of the old and reboot before you install the new.

I've had no problems with Vista and the 755 (or Centro) so far.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    I'm quite pleased with Vista & my 755p & TX, actually. I still don't like the cut-down "generic" version of Palm Desktop but at least Palm & Access FINALLY rolled out a version for Vista! I muddled through the first half of '07 without a decent beta version of Palm Desktop that was Vista-certified!

If you have it installed properly (right/updated drivers etc) and your hardware is up to par, and you know what services/fluff to disable & what to leave on, Vista is a stable, reasonably fast and secure OS. Far better than XP (which has aged well but is STILL a 7+ year old OS).

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    32-bit Home premium & Home basic.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    32 bit home premium here also. The one other thing I failed to mention to the O/P is if your new laptop did not come with , make sure you have service pack 1 from microsoft. I can't tell you all the technical reasons, simply that my IT guy told me to install that when I got my laptop, and I've had no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by meemaj View Post

Thanks.
    ---------
    Thanks for the quick replies! Unfortunately, I have a 64-bit Vista.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    64 bit= screwed. palm os doesnt support and wont
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    For Vista you need to download version 6.2 of the Desktop from the Palm site. And it works just fine.

One problem I had is automatically loading the HotSync manager on start up, and I solved this and other software compatibility problems by turning off User Control.

Adam
    Thanks for the suggestions, but you probably have Vista 32-bit as Version 6.2 is not compatible with Vista 64-bit, which, unfortunately, I have.... This is from Palm's Support page:

Palm Desktop 6.2 and HotSync Manager 7.0System Requirements
    Windows versions:
    Windows Vista Basic, Home Premium, Business and Ultimate >(32-bit editions) Windows XP Home and Professional (32-bit editions) Windows Media Center Edition 2005

Not compatible with 64-bit editions of Windows. Not compatible with Server, Media Center, or Tablet PC editions of Windows.

Meema J
    If you have the 64 bit Vista then you are out of luck. Any chance you can downgrade to the 32 bit Vista?

Also it may be that just the HotSync manager is not compatible with the 64 bit Vista, I don't know. There are many who don't use the HotSync anyway, as you can load software on the card and use Pruss's MyInstall.

There are also some 3rd party HotSync Managers, you could check if they're compatible with 64 Vista.

Adam
    Adam, thanks very much for the information. I didn't know about the other options and will note them in case I have problems in the future. As of this moment, I am pleased to tell you that I have finally figured out how to do the HotSync successfully. For anyone who might benefit from the procedure, I just posted a detailed procedure how to do it on the Palm Forum, under this thread (on Page 9): 'Re: Vista 64 Hotsync solution found!' My post is dated July 20, 2008.

Meema
    Im another hotsyncless Vista64 user. Downgrading isnt an option, I enjoy my 4GB+ of RAM.

Tried to hotsync via bluetooth, what a joke.

Luckily I have an XP laptop I use for hotsync.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Or you can sync your Treo to a Virtual Machine running under Vista 64. I do this at work with my machine though for different reasons. I haev XP Pro and have a Windows 2000 Virtual Machine in the free VMWare Player. I sync my Treo 600 inside the Windows 2000 Virtual Machine.

For you it's a lot of work and requires a Windows license for the Virtual Machine unless you wish to use Linux in the Virtual Machine but then you lose some functionality and are no longer using Palm's software.

Just a thought.
  20.    #20  
    Alright, so thanks for all the info guys! I found out that I'm running the 64 bit os and so that may be my problem with my notebook not recognizing my treo when I try and tether. I did find a way to get my phone to hotsync by bluetooth successfully. But that's only half my problems, as I need to use pdanet quite often. Any helpful info out there? Thanks guys!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast