1.    #1  
    Hi. Not only am I a palm newbie, I'm also a smartphone newbie. So far I like my new phone (Verizon service) but I've come across some hiccups. This forum has proven helpful, but I still have some confusion. I apologize up front for my lack of knowledge and niavete. Please be patient w/ me ...

First up, the hot sync. My OS is VISTA. Hot Sync is not completing properly and no information is transferred b/t pc and phone. I can't quote the exact error message right now b/c I don't have the cable/cradle w/ me. But its something along the lines of a database file could not be found (error code: 4004). I referenced this site and another and tried to download dbscan.prc. I can download it to my pc but all it wants to do is send it to my palm in a hot sync ... which isn't working. I don't have unlimited web service for my phone so I did not try dl-ing directing to the phone. Help?

So this leads me looking into the microSD cards. I need a microSD 101 lesson. I think a 2GB card will be sufficient for me (just want to sync contacts and transfer photo files), but how does it interface to my computer if the pc does not have an SD/flash slot? Is there some sort of USB adapter I can buy? And once I have a card, is it intuitive to transfer files and contacts? Does my pc treat the card as a drive?

I promise I'm not a computer novice ... just a smartphone (and all that goes w/ it) rookie.

Thaaaaaaaaaanks!
    Not sure on your hotsync issue.

For the Micro SD card I would go ahead and get a 4GB. Memory is cheap. I just picked up a Sandisk 4GB on eBay for under $20. It will come with an SD adapter that you can use to transfer files to your PC if you have an SD reader. Otherwise there is also software you can load on your Centro that will allow you to transfer files through the sync cable without removing the Micro SD card. I don't have the name of this program, but someone here will chime in.

Have fun w/ your new Centro!
    Palm Centro (Sprint)

Get right or get left.
    Jesus <*{{{><
    Quote Originally Posted by spotty4 View Post
    So this leads me looking into the microSD cards. I need a microSD 101 lesson. I think a 2GB card will be sufficient for me (just want to sync contacts and transfer photo files), but how does it interface to my computer if the pc does not have an SD/flash slot? Is there some sort of USB adapter I can buy? And once I have a card, is it intuitive to transfer files and contacts? Does my pc treat the card as a drive?
    Do a search for Card Reader in this forum. Apparently works on the Centro and does treat the card as a drive.
    Welcome to the smartphone world!

Softick Card Export II

http://www.mobihand.com/treocentral/...Card-Export-II

is the micro SD card utility that will let you move files, tunes, pix from your PC to your Centro without having to get a separate card reader.

Load it on your Centro, plug your centro in to your PC and you can switch files back and forth as if the Centro is another drive!

Can't help with your Vista trouble as I am still using XP. But I'd personally try uninstalling Palmdesktop and reinstalling it. Another thing to check is your virus or security software- they may be seeing the centro/hotsync as a threat and be denying access.

Hope this helps!
    Cheers,
    Kim
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Are you using the latest Vista-compliant version of Palm Desktop? It should be 6.2. If you're somehow using an older version designed for XP (4.2 or 4.1.4 etc) then you could be running into problems.

Secondly, make sure your Hotsync Manager app has the box for USB connections checked and it's not looking for, say, a BT, network, or serial connection that's not there.

I'd personally rather ahve the convenience, flexibility and security of a dedicated uSB card reader. Wal-Mart sells a generic USB adapter that handles SD/SDHC/miniSD/microSD formats for $12 or so. I'd get that and use it with your card to load files on & off your card MUCH faster than doing anything through Hotsyncing. And I personally wouldn't have anything less than 2gb in my device nowadays. Sandisk also sells some nice (but a bit pricier) microSD cards that come with a nifty little black & red USB reader/writer drive.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the tips so far. I double checked my computer last night and I do not have a port to read the SD card, so I am going to need a usb reader.

I had a chance to note the error I am seeing w/ hot syncing. This is the log message:
    HotSync session completed with errors on 07/15/08 21:16:50
    HotSync session started on 07/15/08 21:16:42, and completed in 8.0 seconds
    Date Book synchronized successfully
    Address Book synchronized successfully
    To Do List synchornized successfully
    Memo Pad synchronized successfully
    Media synchronized successfully
    Backed up some files successfully to Spotty Centro's Backup folder
    Duration 1.7 seconds
    Failed to backup 1 file(s)
    PmTraceDatabase
    Protocol Error: Handheld file could not be opened. (4004)
    SYNCERR_FILE_NOT_OPEN

Backed up 1 file(s) successfully
    Saved Preferences
    I plan to call the palm support folks to see what's up.

In the interim, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Palm software. Now when I hotsync I no longer get the above error, but still no information appears to be transferred. I am using the software cd that came w/ the purchase of the centro phone, so I'm just assuming the version is late enough (6). I will double check on that. I still have an XP box at home. I'm tempted to install the Palm software on that machine to see if the error still persists.

The hotsync manager does indicate usb connection.

Soooo, I've taken just a few pictures w/ the phone and they're stored on the phone's internal memory. Is there a way to transfer the photos onto the SD card so that I can move them to my pc? Does the SD memory/storage trump the phone's internal memory?
  7.    #7  
    Oooh, just came across a VISTA specific version of the palm desktop software on the palm website. I'll give that a whirl tonight.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/windo...a/#palmdesktop
    Check your hot sync conduits to be sure you have them set to synchronize. Right click on the hotsync icon on your task bar. Go to "Custom" then "change" and set your preferences for each conduit.

Hope this helps!
    Cheers,
    Kim
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Is it possible you are hotsyncing to Outlook instead of Palm Desktop? I sync mine with Outlook.

From your error message, it looks likes everything transferred except the PmTraceDatabase file.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyHDTV View Post
    Is it possible you are hotsyncing to Outlook instead of Palm Desktop? I sync mine with Outlook.
    I'm assuming not possible since my PC does not have Outlook installed. I remember consciously choosing Palm Desktop as the sync option, knowing I do not have Outlook.

From your error message, it looks likes everything transferred except the PmTraceDatabase file.
    Yeah, a few other help sources seem to indicate this is an error message Vista users see. Hopefully the vista version of the install software will fix this glitch.
    PmTraceDatabase is a file that shouldn't be backed up. If you do a search for it, you will find instructions on how to remove the backup tag for it and that problem will go away.
  12.    #12  
    Ok, I uninstalled the cd palm software that came w/ my phone. I downloaded and installed the vista specific palm software. No more errors!!

But ... I still see no transfer of information b/t devices (no contacts show up on palm desktop after a hotsync). I even made a mock memo in palm desktop to see if it would show up on my phone. Nope.

I set each conduit to synchronize in the hotsync manager.

So far I've not been able to find any helpful information in palm's troubleshooting guide. Is there something basic I'm missing? I feel like a turd not being able to figure out something so simple.
  13.    #13  
    Thought I'd share my epiphany just in case others down the road are as clueless as me. The reason I was never finding any files after a hotsync is that I had the palm desktop application closed. When you perform a hotsync the palm desktop software needs to be open on your computer. Now everything appears to work dandy ... for now. Next up, I need to look into a micro sd card.
    if you are using any version of vista 64, you can't use the cable to sync. palm desktop will install just fine but there are no 64-bit drivers for the centro. The work-around is to use a bluetooth adapter. Buy yourself a USB bluetooth adapter and get it installed on your computer. Then open your hotsync manager and add the bluetooth as your default sync connection.