1.    #1  
    Someone is offering me a Treo 755P. I was wondering if this would be a downgrade to the Centro? It would be for my brother. He has no problems with the Centro, but I kind of have no choice. I am trying to buy a lot of things from the person for something else that I REALLY want, but he says I have to purchase the 755P from him as well to take everything. Either I take it and sell it and purchase a Centro from ebay or my brother keeps it and give my little sister his Centro. I am almost certain my little sister would not want the 755P.

Would this be a downgrade for my brother? Or should I just sell it and keep the family in Centros?
    The only downgrade is keyboard size and battery life. You do have "My Location" capability with Googles Maps only on the Centro (at least now with VZW, AT&T, and Unlocked Centro...Sprint Centro will get a firmware upgrade this summer). I can't comment on the speed of the Centro vs. 755p, but I suspect there shouldn't be any difference, but you do get a little more free RAM on the Centro (68MB).
    As I understand, under the surface they are basically the same exact machines, just the centro has a smaller form factor.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    (This question keeps getting asked so I'll just repost it from another forum thread. I've spent some time with the Centro and have owned a 755p for several months, so I'm well versed in both devices' cabilities)

The answer to that depends on if you are a "power user" or not and how much you value a light,thin, small device.

755p pros over Centro:
    -Non-slip rubberized paint
    -Higher capacity standard battery (1600mAh) with better battery life stock. 755p has the option for even more powerful OEM-sized batteries (2200mAh) from Seidio
    -miniSD instead of microSD (larger, less fragile, harder to lose and easier to insert/remove from the Treo since it's side-mounted). 755p CAN use microSD cards w/ adapter
    -More available accessories (cases, cradles etc)
    -More comfortable, better quality stock stylus with a variety of quality metal aftermarket styli available
    -Larger, whiter LCD screen with better color saturation (but not as bright as the Centro's LCD)
    -Larger, better spaced keys and better keyboard for long e-mail/SMS typing
    -Better d-pad (recessed) for gaming & general navigation
    -More professional looking (IMO)
    -Better build quality

Centro pros over 755p:
    -Optimized NVFS so slightly less lag & slightly more stable
    -Marginally better Bluetooth stability due to different chipset from the 755p/700p
    -More free RAM after a hard reset (~68mb vs. 62.8mb)
    -Google Maps Location functionality standard on Verizon & GSM Centros & coming soon for Sprint version.
    -Better/newer software bundle (DTG 10, PTunes Deluxe)
    -Louder earpiece/speakerphone volume
    -Marginally better camera image quality in lower-light situations & color accuracy
    -Supposedly better voice quality/reception (haven't confirmed this personally)
    -Smaller/lighter & available in various colors depending on carrier
    -Cheaper (both w/ contract and unlocked/full retail).

If you're on Verizon and qualify for a NE2 or just a new contract, the Centro & 755p are priced identically online. I think both would end up being free w/ NE2, online purchase/activation & a 2yr contract. The 755p doesn't qualify for the new cheaper VZW smartphone $30 plan, though, so I think the 755p would end up being $15 more per month for nearly the exact same thing but I wouldn't rule out being able to armtwist a VZW rep into giving you the cheaper plan on the 755p (unless they block out certain ESNs).

EDIT: As gadgetfreak says, the vibrate strength varies from one device to the next so that's why I left it out of the list above. Like, I had 3x 700p's and they all varied wildly in regards to vibration strength. My VZW 755p is sort of middle of the road, as is a colleague's Sprint 755p. But both Centros that I've spent time with were definitely weaker in vibrating strength department than my 755p so I'd have to give the nod to the 755p there.
    Last edited by hkklife; 07/17/2008 at 09:31 AM.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I would also add that I believe the vibrate on the centro is better too though someone else claimed it varies from actual unit to unit. I have both and continue to use the 755p mostly because of the battery. If Siedio came out with an OEM-sized >2000 battery, it would be hard to not use the Centro as my main device (I would deal with the keyboard and screen).

Otherwise, I agree with everything mentioned above.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
  6.    #6  
    Okay, I know 755P-> centro has been covered, but what I am asking is going from a Centro TO a 755P.

My brother currently have the Centro, but would going to the 755P be a downgrade? Going from the cheaper to the more expensive?

I LOVE the centro, but scared of the 755P.
    Quote Originally Posted by profroopchan View Post
    My brother currently have the Centro, but would going to the 755P be a downgrade?
    I'm pretty sure no answer to that question will be definitive or final, as they are both similar smartphones. It's a matter of personal preferences and the use the device will have in your (or brother's) hands.

BTW, did you, by any chance, read hkklife's post/comparison? I think what you should do is read on those comments (and any other similar comparisons that might be posted later), analize them, and then make your own mind based on it. Also going to a store and have a feel on the 755p will help.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Ummmm, well, basically, going from a Centro TO a 755p would simply involve re-reading my comparison list again and maybe starting with the Centro "pros" and then moving on to the 755p "pros".

To put it simply: If you value larger keyboard/screen/battery/stylus size & a larger, more comfortable, professional formfactor, go with the 755p. If you want a slim, thin, lightweight device with speedier performance, Google Maps Location functionality and a lower pricetag, go with the Centro.

I personally would take a 755p for my needs over the Centro. I think that if you are indeed "scared" of the 755p, then by all means stick with the Centro.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I don't think the 755p is more "professional" looking than my black Centro. I think it is just bigger and uglier, like the old brick cell phones. I consider myself a "power user", and would consider moving from my Centro to an older, larger, uglier device (755p) a definite downgrade.

Just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    I don't think the 755p is more "professional" looking than my black Centro. I think it is just bigger and uglier, like the old brick cell phones. I consider myself a "power user", and would consider moving from my Centro to an older, larger, uglier device (755p) a definite downgrade.

Just my opinion.
    Ditto for me -- I'm a power user that has grown to love the smaller form-factor of the Centro over my previous Treos. I don't see how I could ever go back to what felt like a brick.

But to each their own.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    I agree - being a prety heavy user myself (mostly use exchange for calendar/contact/email) I find the centro to be great. It's as small as a regular phone, as light, and a lot cheaper than the other pdas. This qualifies for the cheaper data plan so I'm saving a lot right there. Personally, the lack of exchange subfolder access is somewhat annoying, but I do have a slight workaround for that right now (also have snapper setup to do imap so I can sync folders - just use it when I need it).

I understand the 'more professional looking' concept, just don't agree it's needed I'd prefer WM6, but given this size/weight, I'll take just about any OS