1.    #1  
    Last nite, I prepared to backup my 680 in the normal way, with an SD card & NV Backup....and the card seemed to go into the slot a little oddly, and presto! Now the card cannot be recognized. I get a message asking if I want to format the card! So, thinking perhaps this particular card got damaged, I try another SD card, and the very same message appears! So, is my slot damaged, or would a brand-new SD card allow me to back up? I do this on a daily basis, as I believe more is backed up in this way than synching with my computer, which I also do, of course.
  2.    #2  
    Well, since no one answered, I tried a new card. It's definitely the slot. Now - since I don't want to buy a new 680 at this point, am I safe in backing up to the computer exclusively? Does that back EVERYTHING up, as the card backup would? Anyone?
    I'm no expert here, but from everything I've read, no, the sync doesn't back up EVERYTHING, just data. Programs, settings, preferences, etc. don't get backed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
    I'm no expert here, but from everything I've read, no, the sync doesn't back up EVERYTHING, just data. Programs, settings, preferences, etc. don't get backed up.
    Now I'm no expert, but hotsync backup does backup more than just data. It backs up NEARLY everything, certainly including all programs (applications). There are a few items it does not, and although I don't know the details about what and why, there are other posts on this topic elsewhere which informed me a while back about "SyncAll". It tells hotsync to backup every single database. Read more about it here:
    http://www.freewarepalm.com/communication/syncall.shtml
    -- Josh
  5.    #5  
    Thanks all. I thought that hot synch didn't back EVERYTHING up, as an SD card backup with NV Backup would. Now I've got a real problem to contend with, as my card slot is kaput.
    recently i did a hard reset and then used the HotSync back up insted of the card back up.

everything wast there BUT the registration key of licensed software were lost.
    Sorry, Andrew -- I stand corrected.

Thanks, guys.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Andrew-NYC

Download and trial cradlecare before giving up, I had problems with my SD card not mounting and keep disappearing - cradlecare seems to have helped.

link to developer forum here
    Last edited by Pulster; 07/21/2008 at 03:29 AM. Reason: linked wrong forum :s
  9.    #9  
    Thanks Pulster! I'll check it out.
  10.    #10  
    Well - tried Cradle Care, and it is obvious that my card slot is damaged somehow, because while Cradle Care knew when I removed the card, the Treo still asked if I wanted to re-format the external device - it just doesn't recognize cards any more. So, it appears I am relegated to backing up only by hot-synch. Bummer. I know that passwords and user id's won't be backed up.
    You can backup to a server as well. DriveHQ offers free server space with limits. You might check that out. That also allows for OTA backups I beleive.
  12.    #12  
    I suppose I can always get a new 680, restore from the card, then hot-synch the new Treo & get the updated information I've been backing up. It'll cost me big bucks, however.