Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just curious if any of you are thinking about making the switch to the new 800w?

I'm thinking about it, but am on the fence at this point. I would really like to add the wifi and GPS, but otherwise, I'm very happy with my 755P.

Rick
    There are probably some Treo 755p users who are using the Palm OS because it happens to be the OS on the smartphone, but I'll wager the majority are users principally because it has the Palm OS (versus WinMo).

I don't like WinMo, and I'm on Verizon Wireless (and do not want to switch to Sprint), so while the feature set of the 800w is appealing, the fact that it doesn't run Palm (except via an emulator) and doesn't run on my provider is keeping me from even looking twice at it.

When my 755p is 1+ year old and the newer Palm-based smartphones start trickling out, I'll take a look. Of course, so long as I remain committed to Verizon Wireless, that means my 'new' phone will come out 90+ days after it comes out on Sprint....

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
    I don't like windows mobile either, and since I have an unlimited data plan that is available at broadband speeds nearly everywhere I go, wifi doesn't interest me either. If you have never used wifi on a mobile device, it isn't too pretty, IMO.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    I like wm6.1 a lot (much better than wm5). But the 800w specifically doesn't interest me a great deal. I'm not huge on the form factor and it isn't enough of a step up compared to other WM based devices coming out this year.
    Could not resist the GPS -- it is on the way.
    Laissez Faire
    W =/ P

P=good PIM

W=trouble

BB
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I was set on buying this thing... then I held it and tried to use the wm and I just could not get over how difficult to do otherwise simple task on a palm! Then win interface is horrible. I switched to the mogul for six months before coming back to a 755p and I was ready to try it once more with the treo 800w and could not justify features for functionality.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    The 800W looks interesting. But how would I replace Chatter, or Bonsai or DateBk6. The functionality they provide is far more important than a shiny new box to run them on. At least one of these is working on a WinMo port, but ...

My 755p looks frumpy next to a shiny new iPhone. Damn that iPhone is sexy. But I've had my fill of good looking but useless items/people in my life. My frumpy phone gets the job done. I'm hoping the 900p is sexy and runs my core PalmOS apps.
    looked at it at the store.
    Liked it but can't justify to switch from my
    755p to the 800w.
    My 755p runs like a bell, no hickups. Yes there could be improvements like a better internet browser or GPS.
    But for that alone it does not pay to jump immediately to the 800w.
    My contract ends in one year so till then, we will have a chance to look at many more advanced pda's.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    while the 800w has some nice features, I just can't
    make the switch from palm OS to winM.

hoping for a replacement for year old 755p but haven't found it yet
    If browsing is important to you it might be worth it.

WM Jbed + Opera Mini 4.1 is like night and day compared to the Palm JVM...

I'm pretty confident the 800w will get massively trumped by the Blackberry Bold though...
    Last edited by papped; 07/17/2008 at 04:32 PM.
  12.    #12  
    I love my 755 but I wish it had wifi and gps. I travel overseas and if I had the wifi I could at least get my email on the device while also carrying a cheap prepaid phone.

Or maybe Palm could make a device that worked on both GSM and CDMA.

Rick
    I was the same way, long time Palm OS/Treo owner. I would never leave Palm OS, with Chatter, ShSh, GoTreo, I just wouldn't. Until I got drunk a few nights ago & ordered it. I remembered the next day when I got an email thanking me for my order(3 Treo's)what the h*ll?? So I dove in and started using it, a hard 1st day, but you know what? Not bad at all
    ^^ Order one to my house imo.
    I do miss ChatterEmail and TakePhone something fierce. The built in mail program bites, but it works. Stable and I love the ability to switch between applications.
    Funny thing is, most of the people (especially long time Treo users) jumping now to this WM device will make yet another jump to the new Palm OS device next year.

Despite the disadvantages of switching from Palm to a new OS (like for example, lots of already downloaded [free and paid] 3rd party apps that for the most part, will not work on the new device), and even if their 755p's (or Centros) are almost brand new, they are now saying why they need/want to do the switch because of this and that ... but when the new Palm comes around, they will begin, all of a sudden, to have "issues" with their 800w, therefore "needing" to make another jump. All this within a year or so. Very funny this need-to-have-the-latest-thing ... thing.

PS: Not talking about anyone that has posted on this thread. Just ... generally speaking.
    Last edited by Cheker; 07/19/2008 at 11:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheker View Post
    Funny thing is, most of the people (especially long time Treo users) jumping now to this WM device will make yet another jump to the new Palm OS device next year.

Despite the disadvantages of switching from Palm to a new OS (like for example, lots of already downloaded [free and paid] 3rd party apps that for the most part, will not work on the new device), and even if their 755p's (or Centros) are almost brand new, they are now saying why they need/want to do the switch because of this and that ... but when the new Palm comes around, they will begin, all of a sudden, to have "issues" with their 800w, therefore "needing" to make another jump. All this within a year or so. Very funny this need-to-have-the-latest-thing ... thing.

PS: Not talking about anyone that has posted on this thread. Just ... generally speaking.
    I'd probably would go for the new Palm Treo in '09, as long as I don't drink when I order my phone...
  18.    #18  
    what is the word on a new Palm based Treo coming out this year?
    New MS ad solgan:

WM an OS only a drunk could love!

BB
    Yup hey I'm really not that bad...I just buy things I shouldn't.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast