1.    #1  
    I really like my 700P on Sprint. I use the heck out of text chatting/messaging, web browsing, pictures/camera, mp3 paying, and gps navigation (TomTom6). My old 700P is looking really shabby and its getting close for replcement time. a few questions about the Centro:

1. Would it be a downgrade from a 700p as far as performance goes?
    2. Can I still use my Tomtom and PALM GPS?
    3. Camera as good or better than a 700p?
    4. text works the same I assume? Threaded texts?
    5. mp3 payer works ok?
    6. What are the downsides to Centro versus 700P?

Thanks...
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I think the only downside is the screen and keyboard are smaller. Other than that, it is a more stable device with all of the same functionality, maybe a little more. I have a 700p and thought about going to a Centro, but I'll probably wait until Nova comes out and see what that's like.
    1. Would it be a downgrade from a 700p as far as performance goes? The Centro is faster. Data speeds are faster too.
    2. Can I still use my Tomtom and PALM GPS? Can't answer this.
    3. Camera as good or better than a 700p? The camera is much better than the 700p
    4. text works the same I assume? Threaded texts? Yep, they're the same
    5. mp3 payer works ok? Better than the 700p since it doesn't have the skipping issues the 700p had.
    6. What are the downsides to Centro versus 700P? The screen is a tad smaller and the keyboard is tighter. Trust me you won't even notice this after a few days.

IMHO, the Centro is a considerable upgrade from the 700p in every aspect. If you like the Palsm OS I wouldn't hesitate to switch.
    I'm considering going to the Centro from the 700p for several reasons:
    My Treo's looking old.
    I'm getting really bored w/it.
    It's not stable.
    Probably don't want to wait til '09 for NOVA.
    glad I finally moved from my 650. centro has better but smaller screen. you'll get more stability and more mem to play with.
    I use a Sprint 700p and Centro. The Centro does everything the 700p does. No downside there.

Some people think the smaller screen, keyboard, micro SD card and 1100 mAh battery are a downside. I don't see any downside with these.

Last edited by treotraveler; 07/14/2008 at 03:50 PM.
    Had the VZW Treo 700p, avid Palm OS fan and let me tell you, I don't miss the 700p whatsoever once I made the switch to VZW Centro. The battery life is a little shorter but speediness of the Centro and form factor is actually an upgrade from the 700p and yes, I got used to the new keyboard within a week!
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I didn't think so I would at first, but I love this little Centro. Went from 650 to 700p now to Centro, all VZW. It can fit in my pocket if need be and feels nice to carry something a little smaller for a change... Awaiting the 800 though, I guess my son will get the Centro as he got my 700p...
    David
    Palm Owner for 10+ years
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    1. Would it be a downgrade from a 700p as far as performance goes?
    No, the Centro whoops the 700p in every performance-related aspect. Less lag, snapppier response and louder speaker/earpiece volume.

2. Can I still use my Tomtom and PALM GPS?
    Unofficially, yes. You'll need the TomTom 6.03 update designed for the Treo 680 from Palm's support page.

3. Camera as good or better than a 700p?
    Camera quality is the best of any Palm OS-based smartphone. Th Centro's camera is a bit better than the 755p's camera, which in itself was a smidgen better than the the 700p/w camera.

4. text works the same I assume? Threaded texts?
    Yes, threaded messaging works great and doesn't have (at least on the Verizon units i've used) the delay from the receipt verification bug that the 700p originally had

5. mp3 payer works ok?
    Yes, Centro comes with PocketTunes Deluxe, whereas the 700p & the 755p have PTunes Bundle/OEM version. That's a substantial improvement IMO.

The Centro's advantages over the 700p are many small improvements. Its downsides to the 700p are few but pretty substantial. I'll list 'em here:

-Centro has a smaller, less comfortable, keyboard than any Treo
    -Centro has a smaller LCD than any Treo
    -Centro is less comfortable to hold for extended typing due to its thinner , less contoured formfactor. It's also not as good for extended game playing due to its "stacked" button arrangement that's less intuitive than the standard horizontal Treo app button arrangement.
    -Centro has a smaller standard battery (1150mAh vs. 1800Ah) with no stock-size extended capacity batteries available the moment. You can go up to a massive 2600mAh in a stock-size Seidio battery on the 700p and then up to 3200mAh with the larger battery "rump" from Seidio.
    -Centro has a thinner, less comfortable stylus than any Treo other than the 800w. You can get some very nice all-metal or pen/stylus combo replacements for the 700 series.
    -Centro lacks the 700's reset button and requires removing the battery & the awkward battery door to reset the device.
    -Centro uses microSDHC (unofficial max of 8gb currently) whereas the 700p can unofficially utilize 32gb fullsize SDHC cards (in 4gb chunks). Fullsize SDHC cards are also MUCH more durable, less easily lost, and enjoy far greater compatibility without having to carry around an adapter or a card reader.
    -700p has slightly better build quality over the Centro.

So if you're a power user who needs a large screen, large keyboard, fullsize SDHC card and mega battery capacity, the 700p or 755p will suit you better. If you're a casual or moderate user, the Centro's lower price, smaller size and improved software bundle/performance will seal the deal.

I personally would take my 755p over either the Centro or the 700p but that's just due to my usage habits. I want a device smaller than a 700p but not Centro tiny!
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Actually the GSM Centros do not come with PocketTunes Deluxe, it's the bundle/OEM version.
    Just to make minor correct (BTW, great summary)....I have the all-metal pen-stylus combo from Seidio.com for my Centro. Yes, a much better uggrade than that cheapy plasticky stylus on Centro.

Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post

The Centro's advantages over the 700p are many small improvements. Its downsides to the 700p are few but pretty substantial. I'll list 'em here:

-Centro has a thinner, less comfortable stylus than any Treo other than the 800w. You can get some very nice all-metal or pen/stylus combo replacements for the 700 series.