Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I have an unlocked unbranded gsm centro (from palm themselves).

Is there any way to get the im client from the att version on the centro?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    ttt
    why do you want that client? its not that great....uses text not data. i personally use toccer for my aim
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    That client would not work with an unbranded centro, as it uses both text and data. However, you do have free alternatives:
    Webmessenger - free, aol, icq, yahoo, msn
    Gizmo Project - free aol, icq, yahoo, msn
    Toccer - free, aol/icq
    if you can spare a few bucks, get MunduIM, it connects to everything and looks fancy
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Okay thanks for the info! BaDZeD, which one would you reccomend most?
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    People seem to like Mundu. From the others I have personally used Gizmo Project and it has been very stable but a bit weird to set up (and the design is as simplistic as it can get). Both Gizmo and Webmessenger require you to sign up for online accounts from those companies so that they can route your IMs correctly. I've never looked into Toccer as I have a yahoo acct besides my aol one that I need checked.
    Please do note, that an active data connection is a big battery drain
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Mundo works well, its not free though its like 11 bucks lifetime. It does have a free 30 day trial though. They have good customer service as well if you have probs in the future with switching your id over to new phones and such.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Mundu is pretty good, but it burns through my battery (on my 755p) like you wouldn't believe. Anyone else have that problem? Causerie (now called mTalk) doesn't burn through my battery, but it's a subscription service so you have to pay every year (and it's very expensive at $34.99 per year!)
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Wow! mTalk (the standard version) is now free!! I would encourage everyone to try it, having used the program for several years:

http://mtalk.mantragroup.com/palm-download.php

Seems like the paying version allows access to more gateways and multiple simultaneous logins, but otherwise they are the same program.
    i've had a hard time trying to get Mundu connected to MSN (on a treo 680). It connects once over 20 or 30 attemps.
    Other IM services connect just fine.
    This behaviour has been going on for more than a year, with clean installs, upgrades, uninstalling with Mundu Uninstall tool, trying it in different countries, etc.

So i use Gizmo now
    I have two concerns about using IM, that is

1. Battery Life - Some IM clients eat your battery like crazy.

2. Connection Status - Some clients disconnect you over a period of non-activity. I want the client which is able to keep the connection status like the desktop Live Messenger. (You know how annoying when you see someone keep login while you turned on the login notification.)

Please advise.

Thanks.
    I agree, my main problem with Toccer is battery life, though i'm not sure there's a solution that doesn't involve an SMS based client such as the sprint IM client.

I have a limited # of texts per month, so i'm reluctant to use that type of client..plus i've heard it introduces a lot of latency.

Can anyone who's used several of the non-SMS clients chime in on how they rank batterywise? I imagine they're all similar since they all keep active connections, but maybe not?