1.    #1  
    Hi All!
    Im pretty set on getting a Treo 680. The larger screen, bigger keys, and more spacious keyboard won me over versus the Centro. Anyway, what would be the benefit, if any, of getting an unbranded unlocked 680 versus an AT&T branded one? Thanks for your help! I'm looking forward to joining the Treo community.

-Steve
    the biggest advantages would be ease of use on other GSM networks. I use my treo in Europe and just buy a cheap SIM card to pop in when I get there.

Your treo may be easier to sell later if it is unlocked and unbranded. Otherwise, only those on the network you bought your phone with can use the phone.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you Jaytee for your reply. Sorry, I forgot to mention that both of the phones are unlocked. However, one has no carrier label in the upper right corner, and the other has AT&T. Basically I have heard that carriers put some software of their own on the phone. Is that really reason enough to get an unbranded one?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    the biggest advantages would be ease of use on other GSM networks. I use my treo in Europe and just buy a cheap SIM card to pop in when I get there.
    Pardon my ignorance, and not trying to hijack this thread, but if I've got an AT&T branded, locked phone, if I go to Europe, I can't buy a cheap SIM and pop it in and use it there?
    Locked phones can only be used on their branded network until unlocked. I don't know the exact requirements, but some AT&T customers can call customer service and request the unlock code for free. If you don't qualify, there are several third party companies that will supply you with an unlock code for a fee.
    Gotcha. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matheos21 View Post
    Thank you Jaytee for your reply. Sorry, I forgot to mention that both of the phones are unlocked. However, one has no carrier label in the upper right corner, and the other has AT&T. Basically I have heard that carriers put some software of their own on the phone. Is that really reason enough to get an unbranded one?
    In that case it doesn't matter what you get.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas