1.    #1  
    I was able to sync an audio file on my PC to pTunes using Windows Media Player. However, when the file transfered from my PC to the Centro, WMP converted it from a MP3 to WMA.

The Ringo app only uses MP3's so the WMA file is useless for Ringo.

I tried to search through the help site for Windows Media Player and found this listed under "Can I turn file conversion off:
    For some older devices, it is possible to turn conversion off. However, it is not possible to do so for a device that supports the Media Transfer Protocol (MTP), because an MTP device accurately reports to the Player whether conversion is required to ensure that you can play files on the device. If you do have a device for which you can turn conversion off, keep in mind that doing so may prevent the device from being able to play files or may cause the device to behave unexpectedly if you sync files that exceed the device's capabilities. For these reasons, you should typically allow files to be converted before sync. If you do want to turn conversion off for a device that supports it, do the following:

1. Click the arrow below the Sync tab, point to the device, and then click Advanced Options.

2. The properties dialog box for your device is displayed. Click the Quality tab, and then clear the Convert music, pictures, videos, and TV shows as required check box.
    However, when I go to the Quality Tab in Windows Media Player as instructed in item #2, there is no "Convert music, pictures, videos, and TV shows as required check box" to clear.

I am using Version 11.0.6001.7000 of Windows Media Player.

How can I transfer MP3's from my PC to the SD card on my Centro?
    Good question. I hope someone answers. I want to know the same thing
    Search around on the pocket tunes support site as they have an article on WMP and not having it convert files to WMA.
  4.    #4  
    I guess you have to use WMP v10.

Here's the info from the Pocket Tunes Support Site:

Windows Media Player is trying to convert my MP3 files when I try a transfer, what do I do?

Windows Media Player 9, 10 & 11 have a built-in behavior setting where they analyze the file to transfer. If they think the audio quality can be improved by converting the MP3 file to WMA, they do so before transferring the file. You cannot change that on Windows Media Player 9 or 11 so if you really want to stop that from happening, you need to roll back to Windows Media Player 10 if you use 11 or upgrade to Windows Media Player 10 if you have version 9 (note Windows Media Player 10 needs Windows XP to run). You can get Windows Media Player 10 here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ad/default.asp . the article on rolling back to Windows Media Player 10 is here http://www.normsoft.com/kb/idx/0/166/article/ .

To change this behavior in Windows Media Player 10:

1. Connect your device just as if you were about to transfer files.

2. Connect to your hotsync cable/cradle and start Pocket Tunes.

3. Open Media Player.

4. Go to the Tools menu, select Options, then click on the Devices tab. You should see your device listed.

5. Click on your device in the list, then click the Properties button.

6. In the properties window, click on the Quality tab. Uncheck the box that says "Convert files as required by this device (recommended)".

7. You may get a warning message. Just click OK to get past that, then click "Apply" if available and "OK". Back to the Options screen, click "Apply" if available, and "OK". You are back to the regular Media Player screen and you should now be able to transfer MP3 files without them being converted.
  5.    #5  
    The Pocket Tunes Knowledgebase Article #176 says to roll back to WMP 10.

However Pocket Tunes Knowledgebase Article #166 (updated 6/2/08) says, "As of the release of Pocket Tunes 4.0.2, Windows Media Player 11 is now supported."

I have Pocket Tunes 4.0.7, so why doesn't it work?

I may just download the CardReader app that enables your PC to recognize the microSD card in your Centro as an external drive when it is connected via the hotsync cable. I was trying to avoid having to pay $$ for something that should be free.
    There is a yahoo group for pocket tunes that is pretty active.
    But just remember that Pocket Tuens can read WMA files.

Ringo doesn't read WMA files.