1.    #1  
    My 700p was dying, and the insurance people offered to replace it with a Centro. My first impressions of the switch:

1. Great form factor. Feels much smaller and nicer, and looks way less geeky.

2. Wow - the keyboard feels very different. It will take a bit of getting used to. I kind of like the keyboard, although I am slow at typing until my thumbs get use to the new style. At night, the keys - except for the number keys - are much darker than the 700p keys, which all lit up like a Christmas tree.

3. The Centro is MUCH snappier than my 700p. No more lag issues. I'm not sure if it is because of my clean install of my apps, or because the Centro is just faster, or both.

4. The Centro's data connection seems faster.

5. The screen is bright and vibrant - very nice.

6. The volume on the Centro is much louder than my 700p.

7. The vibrate on the Centro is super strong, and loud. I may have to turn the vibrate completely off when in meetings because it is so loud.

8. So far, I don't see any incompatibility with my apps I have loaded, i.e. Takephone, 2day, Chatter, Acid Image Pro, Backupman, Bugme, Slap, ListPro, and a couple of others.

Anyway, at this point I am extremely happy with the switch. The Centro is a great, cool phone. And since I didn't need to sign a new contract for the upgrade, I can either keep the Centro next year when I am out of contract, or I can move up to the latest and greatest then.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Nice to hear about another satisfied Centro user.

I am surprised that you find the vibrate to be much stronger. I switched from a 650, which had a stronger and longer vibrate than the Centro.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorker545 View Post
    Nice to hear about another satisfied Centro user.

I am surprised that you find the vibrate to be much stronger. I switched from a 650, which had a stronger and longer vibrate than the Centro.
    It seems to me that the vibrate strength varies from phone to phone. Kind of the luck of the draw on how hard it vibrates.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    The Centro doesn't include:

Email and Web for Smartphone Compatible

Does it have the same web access as the Treo?
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    My wife has a Centro and I have a 700P and the only and I mean the ONLY reason I havent switched is because of the miniSD slot. I have a 16GB card and that would be and is WAY to hard to give up.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    I just my new one today, up from a 700P. I can't believe how much faster it is and the screen size and keyboard is a non-issue. It is very solid but, yeah, the battery cover is kind of a pain. I felt a bit lazy, so I just synced in my 700P data and it is working great. I found that Verizon took away the option for the sms receipts and wonder if that helped speed things up.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenorian View Post
    The Centro doesn't include:

Email and Web for Smartphone Compatible

Does it have the same web access as the Treo?
    I think I know what you're asking. The centro has the Email/Web for smartphone(29.99/mo) and the 700p has the unlim data option(44.99/mo). The difference between the two is that the centro plan does not include wireless sync and tethering, but you can upgrade to a $45/mo plan that does. The 700p's plan didn't include tethering either (it was $15/mo extra) so basically you get the same plan for $15/mo less!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    My wife has a Centro and I have a 700P and the only and I mean the ONLY reason I havent switched is because of the miniSD slot. I have a 16GB card and that would be and is WAY to hard to give up.
    Put that in your camera
    The Centro is much snappier than a 700p, even if you use a backup/restore program to backup your 700p and do a full restore on a Centro. You could run into a few problems with some apps in doing this, though. I tried it and use a centro as a backup of my 700p. The things I don't like about the Centro that keep me from making it my primary device:

1. Keyboard contour and size. I have big thumbs and can only type half as fast. Still have to make lots of corrections, even after 5 months of using it. This may also have to do with the fact that the keys are softer and give more resistance.
    2. Battery doesn't last quite as long & battery cover is difficult to remove when you need to do a soft-reset.
    3. Reception is not as good as a 700p in weak service areas.
    4. When playing games on it (i.e., Galaga that I purchased for my 700p and ported over), it is too hard to use the center button as the firing mechanism with the new 5-way. Ditto for other games, too. I don't play a lot of games, though, so this isn't very important.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by hufn View Post
    I think I know what you're asking. The centro has the Email/Web for smartphone(29.99/mo) and the 700p has the unlim data option(44.99/mo). The difference between the two is that the centro plan does not include wireless sync and tethering, but you can upgrade to a $45/mo plan that does. The 700p's plan didn't include tethering either (it was $15/mo extra) so basically you get the same plan for $15/mo less!
    You should have mentioned that the rate structure you are talking about is for Verizon..

On my Sprint Centro, I have Power Vision Ultimate pack which is unlimited data for $25.00 per month for everything connecting to data.

Same as my Sprint 700p.

Global Posts
    637 Global Posts
    Thats why I went the free to 755P route - and I also got the extended battery thrown in for free.

Even though same hardware as 700P, I reinstalled everything from scratch after restoring the PIM data (calendar, contacts, memos, and tasks).

And it does everything faster than the 700P.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    The Centro is much snappier than a 700p, even if you use a backup/restore program to backup your 700p and do a full restore on a Centro. You could run into a few problems with some apps in doing this, though. I tried it and use a centro as a backup of my 700p. The things I don't like about the Centro that keep me from making it my primary device:

1. Keyboard contour and size. I have big thumbs and can only type half as fast. Still have to make lots of corrections, even after 5 months of using it. This may also have to do with the fact that the keys are softer and give more resistance.
    2. Battery doesn't last quite as long & battery cover is difficult to remove when you need to do a soft-reset.
    3. Reception is not as good as a 700p in weak service areas.
    4. When playing games on it (i.e., Galaga that I purchased for my 700p and ported over), it is too hard to use the center button as the firing mechanism with the new 5-way. Ditto for other games, too. I don't play a lot of games, though, so this isn't very important.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    Heberman, what carrier are you on. I have a 650 that is dying on vzw with insurance. How did you get them to give you a centro rather than a refurb treo. I would love to do this.
    I'm moving from a Sprint Treo 700p to a Sprint Centro.
    I sync with Outlook 2003 and use PocketMirror for syncing.

Once I install the new CD for the Centro on my laptop will I still have to use PocketMirror to sync withh Outlook 2003?

If I still have to use PocketMirror, I assume I'll have to reconfigure the hotsync conduit to use PocketMirro since I'm sure installing the new Centro CD on my laptop would assume I would be using Palm's conduit for syncing. Is that right? And how difficult will reinstalling PocketMirro be?

TIA

Edit: Using Windows XP
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 07/17/2008 at 10:20 AM.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    Heberman, what carrier are you on. I have a 650 that is dying on vzw with insurance. How did you get them to give you a centro rather than a refurb treo. I would love to do this.
    I'm on Sprint. was getting an insurance replacement and I complained when told that it would take 7-10 business days to get a replacement 700p. So they offered the Centro as a substitute.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I am also with sprint, I went in with a problem with the head phone jack, they told me thay would have to order in the part then just offered me the Centro so I took it, I like this thing better every day.
    Heberman, is that Heber Ut.? I am in Midway
    Terry
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    I'm moving from a Sprint Treo 700p to a Sprint Centro.
    I sync with Outlook 2003 and use PocketMirror for syncing.

Once I install the new CD for the Centro on my laptop will I still have to use PocketMirror to sync withh Outlook 2003?

If I still have to use PocketMirror, I assume I'll have to reconfigure the hotsync conduit to use PocketMirro since I'm sure installing the new Centro CD on my laptop would assume I would be using Palm's conduit for syncing. Is that right? And how difficult will reinstalling PocketMirro be?

TIA

Edit: Using Windows XP
    I just switched to using Outlook, now I dont know if it was there before installing the new program that came with the Centro under start>All Programs>Palm>PIM conduits, I was able to choose Outlook as the program to sync with.
    Hope this helps.
    Terry
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    Heberman, is that Heber Ut.? I am in Midway
    Terry
    You got it! Except I moved from Heber several years ago.
    Is the wired headset from the Treo 700p compatible with the Centro?
    TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Is the wired headset from the Treo 700p compatible with the Centro?
    TIA
    The headset jack is the same, so it should work.
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    The headset jack is the same, so it should work.
    Tks for the quick reply heberman.
    Have a great weekend.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover