1.    #1  
    I reason I bring it up because I believe our battery design in our Centro is shared with an overseas Palm 500 (a WinMobile non-touchscreen device out in Europe) and I believe the new Treo 800W uses the same battery design as our Centro.

I can't believe that a Treo 800W (for Sprint and later VZW) with GPS, WiFi, Rev A 3G on CDMA network will survive on 1150 mAh battery. Rumor has it that Palm will have an OEM standard size battery with extended capacity. Also, I heard that Palm blocked Seidio from selling one. I predict it would be about 1500-1600 mAh battery.
    ...and about $40-$50 sadly.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Centro extended battery worked in the 800w, but to get the extended battery door, you'd have to buy direct from Palm.

BTW, Seidio DID market an extended Centro battery recently with 2600mAh.

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1025
  3.    #3  
    I know about the bigger sized extended battery with the doors, I'm talking about the original sized battery with more power (using the your original door). It can be done as I've seen Seidio do it with Blackberry devices with similar sized battery.

Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    ...and about $40-$50 sadly.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Centro extended battery worked in the 800w, but to get the extended battery door, you'd have to buy direct from Palm.

BTW, Seidio DID market an extended Centro battery recently with 2600mAh.

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1025
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I don't understand this logic that somehow palm could stop sedio from making a new battery. if they can make a bigger battery then clearly they are permitted to use the connecter/contacts- so did palm parent a rectangular form factor- doubt that....
  5.    #5  
    I guess then Seidio couldn't get any more juice out with the OEM sized Centro battery....darn...

Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    I don't understand this logic that somehow palm could stop sedio from making a new battery. if they can make a bigger battery then clearly they are permitted to use the connecter/contacts- so did palm parent a rectangular form factor- doubt that....
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    No, it was stated quite plainly here on TC a month or two ago by a certain someone in the know that Palm was keeping 3rd party peripheral manufacturers from making higher capacity OEM-sized batteries for the Centro (and presumably, future Palm devices).
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    No, it was stated quite plainly here on TC a month or two ago by a certain someone in the know that Palm was keeping 3rd party peripheral manufacturers from making higher capacity OEM-sized batteries for the Centro (and presumably, future Palm devices).
    and exactly how would palm do that? Threat of lawsuit? For what- did they patent rectangular batteries?

Thrat of not dealing business wise with sedio anymore?- does palm deal with them at all?

Threat of not providing siedio proprietarty info to make fancy custom items? sedio doesnt seem to be making things that anyone else isn't really- so doesnt seem plam gives them specal access now?

Maybe palm actually figured out how to get the density in the current battery maxed out so there is no possibility of sideio or anyone else doing better? That seems most likely to me. After years of watchign siedio go to some different battery maker in china (or wherever) and get them to make higher density cells - palm finally gave up on who they used to use and is just getting better engineered batteries. Something like that seems most likely in my mind.

I could always be wrong- but this theory sounds a little tinfoil beanie to me.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I'm not stating a conspiracy theory or trying to spread FUD. Just reporting it as I see. Let's look at the facts.

#1 TC's very own Malatesta (who everyone here pretty much considers to be very much in the know about all things Palm) posted in the 800w forum about 5-7 weeks ago that Palm had somehow "locked out" 3rd party peripheral companies from making stock-size, extended-capacity batteries for their newer devices (800w & Centro).

#2 Seidio has always been *very* quick to jump on the replacement battery bandwagon. Remember the Treo 680 & 750 launch? Seidio was quick to release a 1300mAh battery right offf the bat, then a few months later followed it up with a proper 1600mAh effort. They still sell both batteries on their site. Even if it was just a marginal 150-200mAh increase, there'd definitely be huge market for some kind of Centro/800w offering and Seidio (or others) would be crazy not to pursue it, especially given the Centro's initial success and wide carrier availability. But Seidio has yet to make a statement one way or another about OEm-size extended Centro batteries. That in itself makes me verrrry suspicious.

#3 For what it's worth, Palm has EOL'd their own self-branded extended Centro only weeks after introducing it. Read this PIC post for a double-whammy straight form the mouth of Palm:
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/7...-battery-eold/

P.S. Palm offers Seidio accessories (including batteries) for several Palm smartphones on their own online store. This is a fairly recent development. Make of it what you will.
    Last edited by hkklife; 07/18/2008 at 09:56 AM.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I think your ps WOULD explain it then.

that's a big stick -

"quite selling better stock sized batteries or we take your accessories off our website"

I didn't realize they had any connection like that.

learn something new everyday.
    Looks like Seido is working on an extended battery...

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...AC26TR800%2DDG

...says it's 'in development'...

To bad it isn't available right now...I love my Treo 800w...probably too much...which is why I'm always out of battery!
  11.    #11  
    But, I am talking about a STANDARD size Extended battery. Meaning, no huge battery cover....I guess Palm & Seidio can't do it for the Palm Centro.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    there's always the possibility that palm got the most dense possible battery already.
  13.    #13  
    Guess what, Seidio just released their standard sized extended battery...1350 mAh and also a new version of their 2600 mAh battery with rubberized texture battery cover.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=170832
    It is for the Centro.
  15.    #15  
    Yes, the 1350 mAh battery is for both the Centro and Treo 800w. Sorry for the confusion, I used to use a Treo 700p, now I have a Centro, haven't had a chance to change my username.