Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so I'm brand new at this whole launcher/theme thing for palms. Actually this is my first smartphone ever, so I know absolutely nothing.

My question is...I am looking for a launcher for my phone. I have tried and tried looking over the different websites and reading posts on the forums about them, and it leaves me more confused than ever. What I was hoping is that some of you that have different launchers can give me some feedback. I'm looking for a launcher that lets you change the background on the application screen and is fairly simple and intuitive to use. I've looked at TreoLauncher, PRevolt, and SkinUI, which I know is free and I'd love to try it, but does it allow you to change the background picture or just the buttons and stuff?

I know there's as many opinions as launchers out there, but what would someone recommend to a newbie that is bascially looking to add a background picture, maybe change some icons...Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by bflyjamie View Post
    Ok, so I'm brand new at this whole launcher/theme thing for palms. Actually this is my first smartphone ever, so I know absolutely nothing.

My question is...I am looking for a launcher for my phone. I have tried and tried looking over the different websites and reading posts on the forums about them, and it leaves me more confused than ever. What I was hoping is that some of you that have different launchers can give me some feedback. I'm looking for a launcher that lets you change the background on the application screen and is fairly simple and intuitive to use. I've looked at TreoLauncher, PRevolt, and SkinUI, which I know is free and I'd love to try it, but does it allow you to change the background picture or just the buttons and stuff?

I know there's as many opinions as launchers out there, but what would someone recommend to a newbie that is bascially looking to add a background picture, maybe change some icons...Thanks!
    If all you're looking for is adding a background picture and custom icons, then TreoLauncher is my recommendation. Simple, small, inexpensive.
    As for PalmRevolt and SkinUI, they do not change the background, but rather the look of the buttons, menus, etc. If you use SkinUI, be sure the option for "big buttons" is turned OFF (known bug with Treo's/Centro's that cause repeated crashes).
    Btw, welcome!!
    Check out http://mcentreville.deviantart.com/ for skins and wallpapers for TAKEphONE.
    Welcome! I second TreoLauncher easy, small & great looking!
    Don't look further than Initiate (by Hobbyist) which launches programs, phone calls and sms's, which TreoLauncher and ZLauncher can't do.
    Quote Originally Posted by rossarnie View Post
    Don't look further than Initiate (by Hobbyist) which launches programs, phone calls and sms's, which TreoLauncher and ZLauncher can't do.
    Also RNS:: Hi-Launcher can do these. And it can work together with any other launcher:

http://www.hilauncher.com/m1.gif
    RNS:: software for your Treo! www.ranosoft.net/treo
  6.    #6  
    Ooh, so many choices. So, I could use something like Hi-Launcher to launch programs from whatever application I'm using and Treo Launcher to just customize everything? What combinations would be best launcher wise? Could I use SkinUI to change the buttons etc, Treo Launcher to change the background and the layout, Hi-Launcher to add the start menu...or is that too much? LOL

I like Initiate too, but it confuses me. So many options. But, it is cheap...
    You really need to try the vast majority of them. Each has their pros and cons. I have tried all of the ones listed above and still stick with ZLauncher; I also use Launch-Anywhere, an application that is similar in functionality to Hi-Launcher.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I have been using ZLauncher for years on 320x480 devices, but the move to a Treo has been tough for me. I have spent a ridiculous number of hours working with themes, backgrounds, icons, options, and screen layout! I'm almost happy with it, but will take a look into TreoLauncher and Initiate (Basic). I wish there more options in configuring plugins in ZL - size, screen position, etc. I think I've only come up with one that wasn't included with the app.
    I use Touch Launcher, which gives your Centro the look & feel of an iPhone.

It's inexpensive and it works well. Customization is simple & intuitive.

You can find it here:

http://ahsirg.kvplab.com/dp/?q=node/2
    - Treo often imitated; never duplicated!
    Quote Originally Posted by RaNo View Post
    Also RNS:: Hi-Launcher can do these. And it can work together with any other launcher:

http://www.hilauncher.com/m1.gif
    I think Hi-Launcher takes too long to set up, and modify every time you add or delete a program...
    Ooh, so many choices.
    You're right ... a LOT of choices! (Which has been one of Palm's strengths).
    Most (if not all) should have trial versions available. You can try one for a week, get to know what it can do, then try another.
    Check out http://mcentreville.deviantart.com/ for skins and wallpapers for TAKEphONE.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcentreville View Post
    You're right ... a LOT of choices! (Which has been one of Palm's strengths).
    Most (if not all) should have trial versions available. You can try one for a week, get to know what it can do, then try another.
    Ok, I think I will try some of the different launchers and see what I like first. I've gotten some great ideas from everyone!

My next question is...if I use a certain launcher for a while, customize some stuff, and decide I don't like it, is it an application that can easily be deleted, or do I have to use Resco Explorer etc. And if/when it's removed from the phone, will the settings revert back to the default or is everything really screwed up? I have to ask, I really don't want to hard reset my phone...again...

Thank you everyone!
  13.    #13  
    I downloaded Treo Launcher to start with, and I like it, nice and simple. But, I'm wondering if there's any way to add a scroll bar to the side or something, or do you have to use the 5way key to navigate?
    I downloaded Treo Launcher to start with, and I like it, nice and simple. But, I'm wondering if there's any way to add a scroll bar to the side or something, or do you have to use the 5way key to navigate?
    When I used Treo Launcher, I got rid of all my categories so just the "All" category showed up in Treo Launcher. Then I would type the first couple letters of the app I wanted to use and it would come up quick. Kind of like a spotlight search on OS X.

I have since moved on to Touch Launcher because it was only 7 bucks and is by far the best looking launcher on Palm OS.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    myself when I get a new device I download and try all that crap- deleting between 'em.

once i'm settled I HARD reset and then install the winner(s) from scratch. 'normal' delete doesn't really clean stuff out totally.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    also- for thinking out of the box- I recently discovered takephone.

its almost like integrating the phone dialer with a launcher together.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    also- for thinking out of the box- I recently discovered takephone.

its almost like integrating the phone dialer with a launcher together.
    yeah, i looked into that, but i discovered phwelo had redone the dialpad and the menu below it in a few different colors, pink included lol. so i went with that and i like it, and it's free!
    IMO the best launcher for the Centro is Treo Launcher. You can change the wallpaper, and icons to meet your taste.

19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
    IMO the best launcher for the Centro is Treo Launcher. You can change the wallpaper, and icons to meet your taste.
    Yes, I think I like it too. Is the calendar only on the 123 mode?
  20.    #20  
    here's what i've done so far...can you tell i like pink?
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast