Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm surprised noone has mentioned Fast Launch. It has become indispensable for me. I can find programs very quickly by simply pressing and holding down the first letter of the app I'm looking for. It will also allow you to launch DAs, contacts, etc. I also use Initiate Pro and TouchLauncher (more for aesthetics and other things). But for actually launching apps, I use Fast Launch almost exclusively.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    I'm surprised noone has mentioned Fast Launch. It has become indispensable for me. I can find programs very quickly by simply pressing and holding down the first letter of the app I'm looking for. It will also allow you to launch DAs, contacts, etc. I also use Initiate Pro and TouchLauncher (more for aesthetics and other things). But for actually launching apps, I use Fast Launch almost exclusively.
    I will have to look it up! Put it on my list of things to do...it's getting to be a long list.
    “Don't you know why you shouldn't hit a girl? Because we hit much harder.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    I'm surprised noone has mentioned Fast Launch. It has become indispensable for me. I can find programs very quickly by simply pressing and holding down the first letter of the app I'm looking for. I use Fast Launch almost exclusively.
    Quote Originally Posted by bflyjamie View Post
    I will have to look it up! Put it on my list of things to do...it's getting to be a long list.
    I use ZLauncher, with only 2 tabs "All" and "card" mainly because of FastLaunch. I very rarely 'tap' on an app from my screen, I always press and hold a letter, and can easily find the app I want. You can also 'exclude' apps so that they don't apper on your list of DAs.

bflyjamie......... put FastLaunch at the top of your list!

VERY happy user of these GREAT apps:

TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial.
    Also check out the
    TAKEphONE skins , TAKEphONE skins thread

Verizon Treo 755p
    Why not use the phone screen as your main one? It has a wallpaper. You can use hardware buttons to launch the most used applications, and you can set up favorites to launch other apps from the phone application. You can also assign quick keys to launch apps if you hold them down. You would only occasionally have to go to the other launcher to launch the odd program occasionally.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Why not use the phone screen as your main one? It has a wallpaper. You can use hardware buttons to launch the most used applications, and you can set up favorites to launch other apps from the phone application. You can also assign quick keys to launch apps if you hold them down. You would only occasionally have to go to the other launcher to launch the odd program occasionally.
    well, when you use a wallpaper on the phone screen the dialpad on the screen isn't there, right? i use that all the time, lol. so i don't have to mess with the lil bitty keyboard...
    if i didn't use that i'd totally go for it, cuz it would be a very economical alternative to testing all these programs and then having to buy them!

6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Delpita View Post
    I use ZLauncher, with only 2 tabs "All" and "card" mainly because of FastLaunch. I very rarely 'tap' on an app from my screen, I always press and hold a letter, and can easily find the app I want. You can also 'exclude' apps so that they don't apper on your list of DAs.

bflyjamie......... put FastLaunch at the top of your list!
    lol, since you gave me a nice link i just couldn't resist clickin on it! i have no problem googling stuff, but i have about 20 tabs open here and i like to get rid of some of them before i go opening more!
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    myself when I get a new device I download and try all that crap- deleting between 'em.

once i'm settled I HARD reset and then install the winner(s) from scratch. 'normal' delete doesn't really clean stuff out totally.
    i have a question related to this. you find the programs you like, do your hard reset, and now you're ready to start from scratch. i buy the programs i want and put em on there. what happens if/when you have to do another hard reset (i know, i am probably thinking too much) and you lose those applications you paid for, do you have to buy them again?

i tried looking this up but i couldn't find the exact answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bflyjamie View Post
    i have a question related to this. you find the programs you like, do your hard reset, and now you're ready to start from scratch. i buy the programs i want and put em on there. what happens if/when you have to do another hard reset (i know, i am probably thinking too much) and you lose those applications you paid for, do you have to buy them again?

i tried looking this up but i couldn't find the exact answer.
    You'll just need to reinstall them, and re-enter the registration code(s).

While we're on the subject of doing a hard reset, you can avoid that step if you install an "uninstalling" program (I use Destaller Lite, freeware), then it will uninstall your programs and get rid of some of the residual info that the standard palm delete won't get rid of. The key, however, is to install Destaller (or whichever one you might choose) BEFORE you install other programs.

Another type of program to look into is a backup program, to backup all your info to the memory card. You can do incremental or full backups or restores (especially helpful if you sampling software and want to get your phone back to the way it was immediately prior). I personally favor NVBackup (again, freeware ... can you see a pattern?!)
    Hope this all isn't information overload
    Check out http://mcentreville.deviantart.com/ for skins and wallpapers for TAKEphONE.
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts
    I use MegaLauncher, plus use TakePhone as a launcher too. But I also use Type Right and if I were to only use one app to launch anything, it would be that. With one button I can bring up a rolodex with all my stuff in it, and type in my need whether it is a contact, app, web link (it reads from your Blazer bookmarks so no setup). I love other apps for their nice UIs and backgrounds, and MegaLauncher is really I think the best all around launcher on Palm if you also want to manage the filesystem (like Finder or Explorer for Palm OS more than a 'Launcher'), but being able to assign any app to any key and access this from any application (with a couple of exceptions) makes this type the fastest, most flexible launcher. Maybe there is a better implementation of this idea, I'm not sure, but if I was just now choosing the one method I'd use to launch apps on a Palm, a universal-accessible keyboard launcher app is what I'd use. The Centro has all those wonderful keys, make use of them!

http://standalone.com/palmos/type_right/

http://standalone.com/palmos/type_ri...pe_right_1.gif

http://standalone.com/palmos/type_ri...pe_right_2.gif
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcentreville View Post

While we're on the subject of doing a hard reset, you can avoid that step if you install an "uninstalling" program (I use Destaller Lite, freeware), then it will uninstall your programs and get rid of some of the residual info that the standard palm delete won't get rid of. The key, however, is to install Destaller (or whichever one you might choose) BEFORE you install other programs.

Another type of program to look into is a backup program, to backup all your info to the memory card. You can do incremental or full backups or restores (especially helpful if you sampling software and want to get your phone back to the way it was immediately prior). I personally favor NVBackup (again, freeware ... can you see a pattern?!)
    LOL, no, I have those, I discovered them while reading some threads! And yes, I like the free pattern you are giving me :P i just didn't discover them until sometime this week so before that i had put a few applications on and then removed them, probably leaving some of those files behind? Like I said, I think too much. I haven't actually bought anything yet, so when I do settle on something I'll do the reset and I have my nice list of applications so it will be easy to fix and be clean.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcentreville View Post

I own neat freak pack.

Still honestly find it easiest to go hog wild then hard reset and start over.

But to each his own.

foer an occasional proigram here or there uninstallers seem nice to me, but when i first get a new phone i try everythign under the sun and hard reset just seems easier to me....
    I use Initiate Pro...and I really like it...had it on my 650 and now I have it on my centro...

I really like the ability to launch a song from the launcher page, launch bookmarks and files off of the SD card directly from my launcher page. I'm sure other programs can do this, but this is the first one I tried and had no reason to search for another launcher. I have had it for almost a year and haven't had any issues what so ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by braj View Post
    I use MegaLauncher, plus use TakePhone as a launcher too. But I also use Type Right and if I were to only use one app to launch anything, it would be that. With one button I can bring up a rolodex with all my stuff in it, and type in my need whether it is a contact, app, web link (it reads from your Blazer bookmarks so no setup). I love other apps for their nice UIs and backgrounds, and MegaLauncher is really I think the best all around launcher on Palm if you also want to manage the filesystem (like Finder or Explorer for Palm OS more than a 'Launcher'), but being able to assign any app to any key and access this from any application (with a couple of exceptions) makes this type the fastest, most flexible launcher. Maybe there is a better implementation of this idea, I'm not sure, but if I was just now choosing the one method I'd use to launch apps on a Palm, a universal-accessible keyboard launcher app is what I'd use. The Centro has all those wonderful keys, make use of them!
    I'm not sure if I'm misreading this, but on the centro you don't need this program. If you go into the dialer, you can assign any button to do anything (well - call a number, initiate a text, call log, dial log, send an email, go to a web link or launch an app). No other software needed
    I too am new at this whole smartphone thing and I have a palm centro.
    I tried a trial version of zlauncher and it messed up my sync with Outlook calander. Maybe if I knew what I was doing I could set it up not to do that but I would like a launcher that will allow me to change to look of the palm screen with out messing with my calander. any advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by hufn View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm misreading this, but on the centro you don't need this program. If you go into the dialer, you can assign any button to do anything (well - call a number, initiate a text, call log, dial log, send an email, go to a web link or launch an app). No other software needed
    I was about to re-buy Butler (used on my old 650) just because of its "launch anywhere" feature.

By dumb luck I accidentally stumbled onto the Centro's built-in version of this very handy quicklauncher bu pressing a keyboard key down for too long and it dialed the quick-dial number from the Home screen launcher.

That's one less program to re-buy.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    To add my tuppence into the mix... I started using Zlauncher with my Clie SJ33 or Tungsten W (not sure when), through my T2 and T3, but when I bought my Treo 680 I stuck with the standard launcher for a little bit. I did try Zlauncher on the 680 and it worked well, but I was keen to use that keyboard to launch applications.

My personal solution is to use Butler's one long key press feature combined with Initiate Pro's smart filter. I can launch the majority of my 65 reported applications from Initiate with one or two key presses. I think only three need three keys.

Charlie still uses the standard PalmOS launcher with her Centro.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Well I have always liked LauncherX and have been using it for a couple of years. The only drawback that I think it has is that it does not have background images. If it was implemented in the next version.. that would make this LauncherX perfect.. but sadly since the original developer passed away.. and the program has been taken over by someone else.. there hasn't been a major update for for a looooong time
    I like Treo Launcher also and it's light in size.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12