1.    #1  
    Just tried a niece piece of software for my 755p called "Where Am I". It reads longitude/latitude from a GPS receiver and maps it into Google Maps. Works very fast.

Check it out here

Download here

Version 1.7 is the latest I can find.
  2.    #2  
    The niecest (whoops) nicest part - its donation-ware.
    I sent in a 10 Euro donation.
    What is that today, a thousand dollars?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevewaterman View Post
    Just tried a niece piece of software for my 755p called "Where Am I". It reads longitude/latitude from a GPS receiver and maps it into Google Maps. Works very fast.

Check it out here

Download here

Version 1.7 is the latest I can find.
    You're saying that this is working on your CDMA Palm 755p? This program is suppossed to work only on GSM phones. Where are you? By sending a donation in Euros I would assume you're on GSM, which the 755 isn't. (I don't think)
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    He has a GPS receiver. That "might" be the reason behind his success ...
    Last edited by Cheker; 07/06/2008 at 10:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheker View Post
    He has a GPS receiver. That "might" be the reason behind his success ...
    I guess I didn't understand that part. I thought if you had a GPS receiver that you wouldn't need something like Where Am I.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    I guess I didn't understand that part. I thought if you had a GPS receiver that you wouldn't need something like Where Am I.
    This is only if have a GPS receiver without the display and you are using Googlemaps to display your location and get directions to your next destination.

No real tracking as you move from one location to another or turn by turn speech instructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    This is only if have a GPS receiver without the display and you are using Googlemaps to display your location and get directions to your next destination.

No real tracking as you move from one location to another or turn by turn speech instructions.
    The beauty of this application (and thanks to whomever posted the link!) is that:

1. You don't have to load Garmin's software; and
    2. You don't have to swap out SD cards for the card with the Garmin maps on it.

I ran it with my Garmin Mobile 10 on my Verizon Treo 755p today and it worked great. If I need the Garmin interface, I'll run that, if not, I can just use Google Maps.

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
  8.    #8  
    I am using Where Am I (WAI) with a Holux M-1200.

Only problem is that the version of Google Maps that gets launched is the one that originally came with my 755p. The developer posted somewhere that this is unavoidable. TryDA (Directory Assistant) seems to have the same problem.
    For those who paid the 10 EU, what are the key differences between versions?
  10.    #10  
    For those who paid the 10 EU, what are the key differences between versions?
    I haven't received my "enhanced" version yet, but I asked the developer. His reply is below. Note that version 1.8 is now out. Just click the "check update" button on version 1.7

"Yes, it is. It brings more features i.e. Bluetooth device selection caching so you do not need to pick one over and over again, also altitude readouts looks useful for many people. New version will also bring new features in donors’ releases. I may also try again to work around Treo 755 GMM problems with older version still being launched…

And good news: I managed to push out outstanding v1.8 update.

Bad news: Unfortunately, no donation processing till Monday - all my computers but laptop are far away since Monday (I am in process of moving to other town). I will join them over the weekend and will hopefully restore my infrastructure on Monday. I may be completely off-line since then. Thanks for your patience."

I haven't received my "enhanced" version yet, but I asked the developer. His reply is below. Note that version 1.8 is now out. Just click the "check update" button on version 1.7

"Yes, it is. It brings more features i.e. Bluetooth device selection caching so you do not need to pick one over and over again, also altitude readouts looks useful for many people. New version will also bring new features in donors’ releases. I may also try again to work around Treo 755 GMM problems with older version still being launched…

And good news: I managed to push out outstanding v1.8 update.

Bad news: Unfortunately, no donation processing till Monday - all my computers but laptop are far away since Monday (I am in process of moving to other town). I will join them over the weekend and will hopefully restore my infrastructure on Monday. I may be completely off-line since then. Thanks for your patience."

Thanks for the update. Is the payment site secure and legit?
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for the update. Is the payment site secure and legit?
    Eastern Europe does have a bit of a bad rep, but so far, my 401(K) hasn't been emptied out (unless you count the crooks on Wall Street).
    Eastern Europe does have a bit of a bad rep, but so far, my 401(K) hasn't been emptied out (unless you count the crooks on Wall Street).
    You are right about the Wall Street guys.