1.    #1  
    I have been going through the threads on the headphone adapters (2.5mm -> 3.5mm, aka 1/8" to 1/32"), and I think I have figured out something that I don't believe has been precisely put into words: the key to finding one that works is the number of rings on the adapter matching the number of rings on the device you are using. For example, I like to use my headphones or a cassette adapter for my car. Those devices use 3 ring jacks. Hook up an adapter with 4 rings and it will send the music to only one side (balance will be off). I just tried the flexible $10 4 ring from Radioshack with no luck. Tried the rigid 3 ring and it works perfectly.

So, again, the key is to get an adapter with the number of rings that match what you are plugging into it. I hope this helps!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    A normal stereo 2.5mm-3.5mm adapter works well enough.
    The left and right channel conectors are in the same position on both 3 and 4 pole connectors as is the earth connection. The mic (4th) connection is on it's own ring on the 4-pole configuration and on the larger earth section of the 3-pole configuration. So a well designed plug of either type should work with a well designed socket of either type.
  4.    #4  
    I have had no problems using connectors of various types with my HP iPaq 6945. The Centro, however, is a different beast. I have bought and returned 6 different adapters before I figured out this combination. All I can say is that it works for me.