Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    OK, silliest question ever, I know.....

It drives me crazy that so many wired hybrid headsets have one side longer than the other. I can't see any value to this. Can you guys clue me what this is supposed to be for?

Thanks!

Carol
    I will take a stab...

I think it is so that when you are using the headset with only one ear then it looks just like an ordinary phone headset with the microphone near your mouth, if it was in the middle and you let one end hang free it might not be positioned well. It is the law in a lot of places that you cannot have a headphone in both ears while driving so you are supposed to remove one of them when you get in the car.

I like the ones with the microphone close to one side, on my Palm Pro headset the mic rubs against my seatbelt while driving and disrupts the other end.
    If you're talking about why the wire on one side is longer than the other...I think it's for when you wear the wire behind your head, it'll be more comfortable, won't tug as much, and won't get in the way like the wires do when you wear them in front.
    Ok its because you wear your phone on the side of your body.

If they were the same length the cord would have to drop down the center of your body hense getting in the way.

If you make the cord longer on one side it will come down the side of your body and the other side will have enough length to get to your other ear comfortably
    so ur talking about a wired headset, one wire significantly longer the the other? heres why. lets say they were the same length, now i have 2 wires comin down in front of you, hitting ur face and such. now by shortening one side u can place the shorter end in one ear, take the wire, run it behind you and put in the other earbud, thus eliminating the wire running down one side, makin it more comfortable
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Hey, thank you all for the input. That provided several answers that were not initially apparent to me. I don't think it changes how I use my own wired headset (straight down the middle, no belt clip, use speakerphone in the car) but it certainly clears up some mysteries.

Thanks!