Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Although it wasn't much of an issue at first, the more I took my battery cover on and off the more noise it started to make, to the point that it would make annoying noises when talking on the phone when slightly changing my hand posistion.

To remedy this, I used a thin coating of spray teflon lubricant on the inside of the battery cover and carefully wiped off the excess. I then used a q-tip to dab some lubricant on the cover slots on the phone and wiped off the excess. Although this didn't stop the squeaks completely, it reduced them quite a bit to a tolerable level.

It's important to note that I used a dry lubricant that is safe for plastic.
    I hate the way the battery cover squeaks on my Centro but it is so dificult to get it off of the thing that I don't want to use the trick of stuffing some paper under the cover to tighten it up. See this thread. This might just be a great alternate approach.

Are you talking about using a dry teflon spray like the type used on a bicicle chain? Something like this?
  3.    #3  
    Yes, similar to that, I used DuPont, I think it was about $10 at the hardware store. I had originally bought it for fixing my squeaky closet doors and have found it to be very useful.

My battery cover was darn near impossible to remove at first. But after frequent removals it seems to have gotten somewhat better (as the squeaks got worse).
    An easier way to accomplish this is to use three layers of scotch tape on both side edges of the lid itself. mine is rock solid with the tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee View Post
    An easier way to accomplish this is to use three layers of scotch tape on both side edges of the lid itself. mine is rock solid with the tape.
    Does it make it more difficult to get the lid off? Mine is such a pain to get off already that I would hate to make it even more difficult.
    No, if anything it makes it easier there is less play. You don't have to press down as hard.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Ah man, I'm a new Centro user (just got it last fri) and it has just starting squeaking much more noticeably after having removed the cover quite a few times. It has been driving me nuts, thanks for the advice!
    Tried the scotch tape - worked perfectly!
    Quote Originally Posted by hufn View Post
    Same here. Thanks, jayzee.
    Quote Originally Posted by hufn View Post
    Same here. It took exactly 3 layers of tape on each side for all the squeaking to stop. Kudos to jayzee!!
    Your welcome. Dating back to the treo 600 I think I have return 4 treos and 3 centros so far. I purposely left the tape on the lid of all of them hoping it would give them a clue. I guess Palm isn't listening.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    The recent NY Times article on Palm talks about how Rubinstein "...made them redesign the battery panel on the back [of the Centro] so it didnít squeak" and yet that is really my only gripe about my Centro. The back cover squeaks when you type. And that is even after putting tape under the lid to stop it. That only worked for a while and now it squeaks again. It's not a big deal, but it really gives the Centro a "cheap plastic" feel.
    I don't know if the last poster did the tape correctly or not. I have had it taped for almost three months now without a squeak or creak.
    I don't know if the last poster did the tape correctly or not. I have had it taped for almost three months now without a squeak or creak.
    Can someone please post a picture of the lid with the tape on it so we can see exactly where to put the tape.
    Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfyn View Post
    Can someone please post a picture of the lid with the tape on it so we can see exactly where to put the tape.
    That would be great. I'd like to see that as well.
    TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfyn View Post
    Yes - please. It's possible that I didn't put the tape in the right spot.
    I will take some macro pictures tonight hopefully they will be detail enough to give you an idea of where the tape should go.
    I will take some macro pictures tonight hopefully they will be detail enough to give you an idea of where the tape should go.

That's great jayzee - look forward to it.
    TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    AAh I thought maybe I was the only one with this problem or that maybe I was just paranoid. Glad to know it's not just me or my phone!

Agree completely with the person who said it really gives the centro a cheap feel. It's my only real complaint about the centro (I upgraded from the 650 and love the centro).

I will be checking back to see those pictures of what the tape should look like..glad to know there is something that can fix that annoying squeaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi91 View Post
    It's my only real complaint about the centro (I upgraded from the 650 and love the centro).
    \

Me too. Very reliavble and stable.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast