Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Hey James,

Any chance you're still working on a custom ROM for us Sprint Centro users?

Cheers,

Craig-
    Yes, I am still trying to dig out of my hole from being off work for almost a month. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel finally. So hopefully soon.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    Yes, I am still trying to dig out of my hole from being off work for almost a month. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel finally. So hopefully soon.
    Whoo hoo!!!!
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Does that mean that there's a chance for a similarly cool ROM for Verizon Centros sometime down the road?

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst View Post
    Does that mean that there's a chance for a similarly cool ROM for Verizon Centros sometime down the road?

-Warr
    That would be fantastic!
    Once an updater is released.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Hopefully we'll get a documented procedure for building custom roms, rather than just a set of custom roms. I need VersaMail and DTG and have no interest in losing pTunes (though I'd prefer the ROM versions of both to be the current ones), but would love to whack the ad-ware and shovelware on there like the horrible IM app, Quick Tour, My Centro, Nuance, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by vga4life View Post
    Hopefully we'll get a documented procedure for building custom roms, rather than just a set of custom roms. I need VersaMail and DTG and have no interest in losing pTunes (though I'd prefer the ROM versions of both to be the current ones), but would love to whack the ad-ware and shovelware on there like the horrible IM app, Quick Tour, My Centro, Nuance, etc.
    I have the same needs - I need DTG, VersaMail and pTunes and I prefer them in ROM, but the rest of bloatware I want to remove. But if you flash the AT&T ROM (I suppose, you have AT&T Centro) by the Original ROM, most of those unwanted applications are gone, only My Centro and Quick Tour lasts, but no IM, Mobi TV and the other crap. But I agree, if there would be a documented procedure of creating custom ROMs, it would be great. At least, I am curious how to do that ...
    Last edited by tomas.em; 10/13/2008 at 06:41 AM.
    There isn't a documented way to do it. Basically I use the old 650 Romtool to create the rom, scripts I modified from a Tungsten rom editor to breakup the rom to be used by the updater (Rexx scripts), binary editor to modify md5 and token checks and then put the files together manually. There is no way to recover from a mistake like there was for the 650, and with the multiple steps the chances are greatly increased. I don't want to try and support all that, which from past experience I will have to if I document it.

There isn't a documented way to do it. Basically I use the old 650 Romtool to create the rom, scripts I modified from a Tungsten rom editor to breakup the rom to be used by the updater (Rexx scripts), binary editor to modify md5 and token checks and then put the files together manually. There is no way to recover from a mistake like there was for the 650, and with the multiple steps the chances are greatly increased. I don't want to try and support all that, which from past experience I will have to if I document it.
    That the great thing about being in a community like this, you bundle everything together you use with step-by-step instructions and the members help each other out. I'm sure there's other people that have the knowledge to answer our questions. You'd only have to support it as much as you post here normally, and from your post count, that looks like you're here quite a bit.

I've gone through a similar situation with a windows mobile phone at ppcgeeks.com for the 6700. Our kitchen started out with scripts and a dozen folders and lengthy instructions to cooking your own rom. Several, well, many, hard working and brilliant people developed that into a single app with an easy to use interface where you simply checked the features you want and didn't want then it built your for you. Now, that happened over the course of oh, i don't know, 8-12 months, but still. I'd love you have a place to start, and if I brick my phone then I brick my phone. Just my 2 cents.
    I'd like to see the original (unmodified) AT&T rom made available for download so you could always put the device back to the way it shipped. I just like the idea of a fallback plan in case one of the modified Rom's doesn't exactly suit my needs.

Also, Any problems likely with using the updated "Unlocked" radio Firmware with the original AT&T rom?
    Palm Pilot Professional --> TRGPro --> Treo 650 --> Centro (AT&T) + 4 Pixis on Sprint Family Plan
    Quote Originally Posted by bruneti View Post
    I'd like to see the original (unmodified) AT&T rom made available for download so you could always put the device back to the way it shipped. I just like the idea of a fallback plan in case one of the modified Rom's doesn't exactly suit my needs.

Also, Any problems likely with using the updated "Unlocked" radio Firmware with the original AT&T rom?
    There was no original AT&T Rom, there is not a way to go back. It is based on an updated for a ROW version. The tokens are not updated.

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    That the great thing about being in a community like this, you bundle everything together you use with step-by-step instructions and the members help each other out. I'm sure there's other people that have the knowledge to answer our questions. You'd only have to support it as much as you post here normally, and from your post count, that looks like you're here quite a bit.

I've gone through a similar situation with a windows mobile phone at ppcgeeks.com for the 6700. Our kitchen started out with scripts and a dozen folders and lengthy instructions to cooking your own rom. Several, well, many, hard working and brilliant people developed that into a single app with an easy to use interface where you simply checked the features you want and didn't want then it built your for you. Now, that happened over the course of oh, i don't know, 8-12 months, but still. I'd love you have a place to start, and if I brick my phone then I brick my phone. Just my 2 cents.
    I have been doing the Treo Roms for years as people here know. I KNOW I will get frantic pissed off people PM'ing me. That being said I know there are those that can easily handle what needs to happen. Tomtastic did the same thing as I did getting this working in fact I think he got it working before I did. That being said everything is out there. So I was trying to just point everyone who wanted to in the right direction.

I will look at putting everything together and then allow everyone to help support those that need it.

jamesgangut, most of here know what you went through with the 650 custom ROMs and I for one suspect you must have been a saint in a past life to have that much patience. It is greatly appreciated and all that you have done so far on the Centro is also much appreciated. Nobody that knows the history will fault you for stepping back on this.
    I have been doing the Treo Roms for years as people here know. I KNOW I will get frantic pissed off people PM'ing me. That being said I know there are those that can easily handle what needs to happen. Tomtastic did the same thing as I did getting this working in fact I think he got it working before I did. That being said everything is out there. So I was trying to just point everyone who wanted to in the right direction.

I will look at putting everything together and then allow everyone to help support those that need it.
    Thanks for all your past efforts in building custom ROM's -- certainly appreciated, to say the least.

Just to clarify, are you backing away from creating any more custom ROM's, like for the Sprint Centro? I'm more than willing to send a donation for your hard work.
    I am willing to give it a try with a little point in the right direction...
    No I am still planning on creating them. I am not planning on a self guided document. I finished up 3 of my 5 large projects this week and am going to re aquaint myself with my wife and kids this weekend then I am hoping to have free time again to look at the Sprint ROM next week.
    No I am still planning on creating them. I am not planning on a self guided document. I finished up 3 of my 5 large projects this week and am going to re aquaint myself with my wife and kids this weekend then I am hoping to have free time again to look at the Sprint ROM next week.
    You da man. And if you accept donations for your hard work on this, we should help the cause.
    Hi James,
    Hope you had a great weekend! I am new to this list and have been following the progression because I am a Palm OS user and and have a Verizon cell phone. I would love to combine the two and get the Verizon Centro (locked) but won't until I know there is a fix for these problems. I very much appreciate your work and was wondering if after the Sprint fix there was a possibility for a Verizon fix???
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    anytime to fiddle with the new vz update rom?
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast