Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Sprint ROM... pretty please?
    Ditto!
    I have Centro white colour from Singapore. It's ROM includue CJK OS and this is Unlocked version. I hate it and process Uprom. Everything good. After uprom I have more 7Mb memory. I love this ROM but I want to make ROM itself . Please post ROMTOOL as soom as possible.
    Thanks MFB
  3. Zcu
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    Ditto!
    Double Ditto!!! Please make a centro sprint rom Please please please I want it soo badly!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Sprint ROM... pretty please?
    Me too!
    Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    A lot of us with Sprint ROM want to replace the Google Maps with the newer one that has my location support. For some reason Sprint put out a ROM with my location support in the OS API but didn't update the Google Maps so we need to have 2 copies of Google Maps, one in ROM and one in memory. Some helper apps end up selecting the one in ROM over the one in memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
    Some helper apps end up selecting the one in ROM over the one in memory.
    Maybe you should considering a different helper application. The one you have seems not working very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB View Post
    Here are the files shoktong
    Thanks MFB! salamat!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    This is the link to my original, I left the calc etc. Use MFB's instructions.
    http://www.4shared.com/file/53413157...st-Centro.html
    Thanks James

I tried out your ROM with no problems. I imagine like most people that we all would like to customise our own roms to suit our preferences. I realise that it would be crazy to ask you to keep creating a ROM for everyone's taste.

I have upgraded to a Centro from the Treo 650 and had a lot of success creating and changing ROMs. Shadowmite and the wonderful ROMTool were great resources.

Could you enlighten us on the tools you use for the Centro? I would dearly love to create my own roms and understand the dangers involved.

Cheers

Richard Banham from AUS
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christer View Post
    Maybe you should considering a different helper application. The one you have seems not working very well.
    Do you know of any apps to replace WhereAmI to get true GPS with Google Maps?

Do you have an answer for the wasted memory of having two copies of Google Maps?

Do you have something helpful to say?

Back to the original topic, is there a post that describes how to create custom ROMs? I would like to take my current Sprint ROM and replace just the Google Maps version.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I would just like to say that I have been running the custom rom now for about a week and it's rock solid. I've had one reset occur and I believe that was related to ringo and some other software i'm running. Just a couple quick questions / opinions

I'm running ultimatephone and Iniate as launchers, on the phone side ultimatephone works wonderfully and Iniate as a launcher, I can press the home key once and (UP) is default launcher, another tap of the home key and iniate takes over.

Is there a better phone / launcher combination than what i'm using?

Also how would one go about getting the calculator back? i would like to store it on my sd card for those times by brain refuses to give me the answer to 2+2

Great piece of work you guys have done with that rom, I enjoyed my centro before, but now, it's much better than the treo 650 that it replaced.
    Do you have an answer for the wasted memory of having two copies of Google Maps?
    Do you know that there are other apps that got a second copy installed with the update other than Google Maps that take up MORE memory than the useless old GM program?

The old Google Maps is taking up 537k of useless space.

The update also included a new version of IM, so now you have an old version of IM stuck on your phone taking up 864k.

Then there's the whammy of all space-wasters: pTunes. The old, original un-deletable pTunes is wasting a whole 1767k of unusable memory.

So you've got alot more to worry about than just that one Google Maps file. Just those two files (IM & pTunes) takes up almost 5x as much memory as the old GM file.
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    Do you know that there are other apps that got a second copy installed with the update other than Google Maps that take up MORE memory than the useless old GM program?

The old Google Maps is taking up 537k of useless space.

The update also included a new version of IM, so now you have an old version of IM stuck on your phone taking up 864k.

Then there's the whammy of all space-wasters: pTunes. The old, original un-deletable pTunes is wasting a whole 1767k of unusable memory.

So you've got alot more to worry about than just that one Google Maps file. Just those two files (IM & pTunes) takes up almost 5x as much memory as the old GM file.
    You are acting like I'm saying other apps that are wasting space are not relevant. If there are two copies of anything on your phone it is a waste of memory and reason why one would want a custom ROM.

In my particular case I don't use IM nor do I use pTunes, so I haven't installed any updates for those and thus don't have 2 copies as you suggest. BTW you forgot to mention VersaMail (which I also don't use) had an update causing some people to have 2 copies.

While it would be nice to completely eliminate copies of stuff you don't use in the base ROM I only mentioned Google Maps because getting My Location to work is a reason many people installed the 1.07 ROM for Sprint.
    Except, unless I'm missing something, the dual app thing is irrelevant unless you build the app into the rom image. The rom based apps don't take up any usable space, so deleting them won't give you more storage.
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hufn View Post
    Except, unless I'm missing something, the dual app thing is irrelevant unless you build the app into the rom image. The rom based apps don't take up any usable space, so deleting them won't give you more storage.
    Apparently it does increase your dbcache:
    http://tamspalm.tamoggemon.com/2007/...xtra-db-cache/

With the early work we see on this thread they are seeing 30MB dbcache, which is much more than I'm seeing on a factory fresh Sprint Centro.
    With the early work we see on this thread they are seeing 30MB dbcache, which is much more than I'm seeing on a factory fresh Sprint Centro.
    What have DBCache to do with helperapps accessing the application in ROM witch was what you first was talking about.

I doubt that WhereAmI is accessing the ROM stored Google Maps instead of the updated version in memory, but if it do I should look for another application, because no application should access the ROM-area in your phone.

If you have problem with DBcache you can use this free application from Palm.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    What have DBCache to do with helperapps accessing the application in ROM witch was what you first was talking about.

I doubt that WhereAmI is accessing the ROM stored Google Maps instead of the updated version in memory, but if it do I should look for another application, because no application should access the ROM-area in your phone.

If you have problem with DBcache you can use this free application from Palm.
    I would appreciate if you stop mixing and matching replies to your pleasure. The reply you quoted was to somebody else regarding their post, not yours. You are quoting something out of context and that is why it is confusing to you. If you read the thread and the replies it'll become obvious why I replied that way. I do not have issues with dbcache at the moment. I simply replied to somebody else about their assertions regarding memory and custom ROMs.

You can doubt all you want. Both TryDA and WhereAmI access the ROM version even though there is a newer version in RAM. The developer of WhereAmI stated it wasn't easy for him to access the RAM version, though I have my doubts how difficult it is, unless I want to develop the app myself, I don't have a lot of choices. I suspect the apps are using some system or library call in the OS and that code is internally picking up the older version in ROM outside of the developer's control and they would need to do more coding than they wish to avoid this behavior. Instead of asking me to look for another application wouldn't it be more useful if you suggested another application which could update Google Maps with real GPS information from a Bluetooth GPS module? Perhaps you can communicate with the developer and explain how to modify their code to do what you seem to imply is very easy to do.

http://wfmh.org.pl/carlos/blog/2008/...now-available/

What do you have against me working towards getting a Sprint ROM with the latest Google Maps in ROM? Is it going to cause you hardship?
    Last edited by sfhub; 10/08/2008 at 08:28 PM.
    Hi,

Could anyone upload Versamail 4.0 here? I tried the 4.01 from Palm website, but it seems very unstable to me. Thanks in advance for the help.
    What do you have against me working towards getting a Sprint ROM with the latest Google Maps in ROM? Is it going to cause you hardship?
    And what gave you the impression I should have something against you working on a custom ROM for Sprint?

Share your effort so more can benefit on your work, because Palm seems not to care so much towards their customer's.

If you are upset over the Sprint/Palm combo function don't blame me, I didn't made it.

Looking forward to see some useful info from you later on.

Instead of asking me to look for another application wouldn't it be more useful if you suggested another application which could update Google Maps with real GPS information from a Bluetooth GPS module?
    You can try this application wAiN it's a complete freeware (thanks to the author mummyrulez)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Christer; 10/09/2008 at 07:45 AM.
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    You can try this application wAiN it's a complete freeware (thanks to the author mummyrulez)
    Do you have a page that has more information regarding the app and what it does. There's no readme in the zip.
    Update and flashing went all according to procedure.

All worked perfectly !!

New info:
    Free Mem in Cache: 30,524,064 !!!!
    Phone Firmware: G.R01.13
    Software: Centro-1.02-ROW

Thanks for all the effort.

I hope that my phone will run steady as a rock..
    Last edited by schrijfmarcel; 10/09/2008 at 01:10 PM.
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast