Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 LastLast
    You GSM-flavored Centro owners are so lucky... being able to run lean & mean on James' custom ROM. I keep hoping that one day, us Sprint users will join the "in" crowd. :-)
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    I am using an unlocked AT&T centro and currently frustrated after hours of reading at attempting this.

I am looking at Page #4 instructions; copying both files on a blank micro SD card via card reader.
    When I open resco explorer, I try to copy Romupdater.prc and the Romupdater_enUS.prc files.
    HOWEVER, I receive the following message:
    'The application cannot be launched because it is missing localization information'.

After this, I can do no more.

Any help would GREATLY be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by wouter_va View Post
    Can anyone who has installed this ROM confirm that after the hard reset it asks for keyboard layout?
    Or can anyone with an azerty keyboard confirm it still works?
    As I found on a forum some older Treo's ask to tap the "z" key after hard reset, not sure about the centro. On first launch it asked me for language preference and stylus calibration but no mention of tapping a key...
    Wouter
    I'm waiting eagerly for the answer to that question as well, though for me it would be the German QWERTZ keyboard; I'm not too optimistic, though, because Message #73 mentions what has been removed - amongst others "all non english related files".

As far as the "z" is concerned: when I downgraded from my T3 to my Centro, I had to do literally hundreds of hard resets while finding out which of the 200+ programs on my T3 the Centro was too stupid to handle; the request to press "z" did pop up, but strangely only during maybe 10% of the resets.

Regards,

Jochen
    Quote Originally Posted by mikez1314 View Post
    I am using an unlocked AT&T centro and currently frustrated after hours of reading at attempting this.

I am looking at Page #4 instructions; copying both files on a blank micro SD card via card reader.
    When I open resco explorer, I try to copy Romupdater.prc and the Romupdater_enUS.prc files.
    HOWEVER, I receive the following message:
    'The application cannot be launched because it is missing localization information'.

After this, I can do no more.

Any help would GREATLY be appreciated.
    Try using FileZ instead. Or FileProg. (both freeware). One of these might do the job.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Hi all,

For the (very few?) non-qwerty users here, this will be of interest.

Short version: it does not work, Qwerty all the way

Longer version:

Since no one had already tested I decided to take the plunge and be a "beta tester" (we can't just expect James to do all this work for free and not at least try to contribute by testing configurations he probably doesn't even have access to)

Anyway, the instructions were clear and everything went smooth..
    Big moment of startup, wow that's noticeably faster
    fire up memo and type "hello .q.q" dq.n thqt should hqve reqd "mama"
    Ok, had found on some french treo 680 forum that sometimes a hotsync fixed it (user prefs maybe?) so connected centro an synced but no go

I tried a few hard resets but never got asked to tap the "z" key, so probably removed keyboard layout altogether...

Lucky me I had checked that the original ROW ROM is in this thread and resetting that fixed my keyboard problem. So no casualties here...

Regards,
    Wouter
    I successfully ugraded my fiirmware & software (see previous posts) but one problem that I have been unable to solve is that I cannot add a new contact or edit an existing contact. Anytime I try, my Centro resets immediately after the add or edit screen comes up. I just have my SIM contacts right now. Any leads appreciated.
    Thx.
    Shneor
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    There isn't a documented way to do it. Basically I use the old 650 Romtool to create the rom, scripts I modified from a Tungsten rom editor to breakup the rom to be used by the updater (Rexx scripts), binary editor to modify md5 and token checks and then put the files together manually. There is no way to recover from a mistake like there was for the 650, and with the multiple steps the chances are greatly increased. I don't want to try and support all that, which from past experience I will have to if I document it.
    I'm in the same boat as someone else that posted a few pages back. I have a Sprint Centro that is on the cricket network. Due to the Sprint firmware and/or ROM the phone is unable to get onto mobile web. I've tried a few times to hack the Verizon updater to install on the Sprint phone, but I'm obviously missing something. Do you have a list of files that you hex-edited to enable the updater to run on the ROW phones?

If I can get the Verizon firmware on the phone I should be set, I could probably figure out the files eventually but was hoping you may have that information available. If so, I'd greatly appreciate it, just the which of the two or three important files in the updater package, and approx locations perhaps too if there are any non-obvious changes. I see the revn and crnm tags, just haven't tried enough of combination of changes to make the updater work yet.
    Last edited by Nightwo|f; 02/13/2009 at 12:36 AM.
    Hi,

I performed the upgrade to my QWERTZ GSM Centro, then restored everything from the SD card backup.
    This led to an infinite reset loop, which I couldn't even stop with a warm reset.

Are there any (system?) files known to cause such behaviour?

After a hard reset I then restored only Saved Preferences and the most important apps.

My Centro now works very well, but 18 MB of free RAM (compared to the usual 5 MB) show how far I am from my usual setup.

The lack of a German keyboard driver isn't really a problem - z and y are inverted, the Euro has disappeared in favour of the dollar, and the umlauts have become hard to get at.
    (Though, if it should be possible to have the keyboard drivers without the rest of the language specific stuff, this would greatly enhance the usefulness of the Custom ROM for us non-Anglos without costing a lot of space.)

Regards,

Jochen

P.S. As I reach for "Submit", a dim memory appears: I THINK that a year ago I locked some files down - can't find out now, or can I?. Could this have had something to do with the reset loop?
    thanks to all who posted - great info. Has anyone ever experienced the Centro ringer and alarms not working? that is the main reason for looking to replace the ROM. Would the ringer failure be a software issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jochen K. View Post
    The lack of a German keyboard driver isn't really a problem - z and y are inverted, the Euro has disappeared in favour of the dollar, and the umlauts have become hard to get at.
    (Though, if it should be possible to have the keyboard drivers without the rest of the language specific stuff, this would greatly enhance the usefulness of the Custom ROM for us non-Anglos without costing a lot of space.)
    Hi,

Unfortunately for an Azerty there is more change and it is not really a viable option (backspace key changes, a lot of option keys etc.)
    If anyone would know where the keyboard drivers are located and/or be willing to make a custom ROM supporting other keyboard layout that would be highly appreciated.
    I am new to Palm and if I understand correctly creating Centro custom ROMs requires experience and there are no readily available tools.
    I would consider trying myself if there was a decent explanation online... but haven't found anything yet. If anyone knows where to look?

Wouter
    Hi there !

I was able to make my own custom ROM (i can explain everything if you wish on a web page, no problem) and to upgrade my Centro.

But two things are wrong :
    - First, despite the custom rom, i still have the Orange carrier logo on my Centro when i light up the GSM part. Very strange !! where does it comes from ?!

- Secondly, i lost the Azerty capability as mentionned above by another user.
    So fijnally I did change the file "boot.conf" to use "locale=frFR" but then my Centro won't boot up anymore. Its keep resetting in loops, hard resets won't help.

I don't know what to do next. I think it is bricked, don't you think ? Any help would be very appreciated.

ps: Have you seen this Centro or Tre680 behaviour, when you keep pressing on key 'a' or 'q' and then resetting ? something goes strange : gsm light goes green then nothing happens. Any clue ?

Thanks !
    Philippe.
    Hi,

Unfortunately for an Azerty there is more change and it is not really a viable option (backspace key changes, a lot of option keys etc.)
    If anyone would know where the keyboard drivers are located and/or be willing to make a custom ROM supporting other keyboard layout that would be highly appreciated.
    I am new to Palm and if I understand correctly creating Centro custom ROMs requires experience and there are no readily available tools.
    I would consider trying myself if there was a decent explanation online... but haven't found anything yet. If anyone knows where to look?

Wouter
    Hi,

I did notice on my Treo 680 that allowing the program "Bienvenue" (??) to boot allowed me to get my French Azerty keyboard. Without this, i'm always on Qwerty keyboard. I was using CleanStart to select wich application i want my Treo to run while booting. A nice clue ?

Philippe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mujus View Post
    - First, despite the custom rom, i still have the Orange carrier logo on my Centro when i light up the GSM part. Very strange !! where does it comes from ?!
    Hi Mujus,

As far as I understand, this happens with other carrier phones too. It seems firmware related. You should see that reflected in the firmware name I think.
    There is a firmware flash tool somewhere in this post too.
    Mine is an official unlocked ROW Centro. I am in Belgium, Flanders so I would ideally need an Azerty keyboard and English language for all the rest.

I had heard about the "welcome" or "bienvenu" app giving you keyboard option on Treo680 too, but it does not seem to work the same way in a Centro...there is no question to tap the "z" key after every hard reset here.
    I had also heard about the "savedPrefs" file fixing Azerty after hotsync on Treo 680, but that did not work on my Centro either

I don't know how it works, after trying the custom ROM and losing Azerty I just restored the original Centro ROW ROM and it worked in Azerty again... Never asked me anything??? Oh wait, I did start in French first to be on the safe side. Immediate hard reset afterwards and English + Azerty was there.

I would certainly like to know if you manage to unbrick your phone, I would be interested in your ROM creation method but only if it works without killing my phone - hope you understand

I don't have much experience in Palm, but can't you reset the boot.conf file - I would guess that's the problem, it may point to a file you accidently removed...
    Or wasn't there a reset that put back factory settings?

Anyway, good luck with unbricking the phone! I hope it is still covered by warranty...

Wouter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mujus View Post
    Hi there !

I was able to make my own custom ROM (i can explain everything if you wish on a web page, no problem) and to upgrade my Centro.

But two things are wrong :

Thanks !
    Philippe.
    I used James' custom ROM to upgrade my AT&T Centro, firmware and software. I'm on T-Mobile, but the AT&T logo still appears every time I turn my phone on.
    Shneor
    The carrier screens are created in RAM if missing when the radio is turned on or off. If you restored a backup the RAM copies will come back.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Hi James,

Do you know the name of the file please ? That's very curious, because after the customromization of my Centro, i did a Hard Reset, cleaning everything, and no syncing back. Still the Orange logo was there ! i think its some place else.

Philippe.
    Hi Mujus,

As far as I understand, this happens with other carrier phones too. It seems firmware related. You should see that reflected in the firmware name I think.
    There is a firmware flash tool somewhere in this post too.
    Mine is an official unlocked ROW Centro. I am in Belgium, Flanders so I would ideally need an Azerty keyboard and English language for all the rest.

I had heard about the "welcome" or "bienvenu" app giving you keyboard option on Treo680 too, but it does not seem to work the same way in a Centro...there is no question to tap the "z" key after every hard reset here.
    I had also heard about the "savedPrefs" file fixing Azerty after hotsync on Treo 680, but that did not work on my Centro either

I don't know how it works, after trying the custom ROM and losing Azerty I just restored the original Centro ROW ROM and it worked in Azerty again... Never asked me anything??? Oh wait, I did start in French first to be on the safe side. Immediate hard reset afterwards and English + Azerty was there.

I would certainly like to know if you manage to unbrick your phone, I would be interested in your ROM creation method but only if it works without killing my phone - hope you understand

I don't have much experience in Palm, but can't you reset the boot.conf file - I would guess that's the problem, it may point to a file you accidently removed...
    Or wasn't there a reset that put back factory settings?

Anyway, good luck with unbricking the phone! I hope it is still covered by warranty...

Wouter
    Hi Wouter !

I will write down my rom customization method. It worked fine despite the Qwerty problem. My Centro is now bricked it seems. The only things i think that could save it are :
    - Get it to the Palm repair service and hope
    - Get it to launch a rom update from the microsd card immediatly (?)
    - Access the rom internals through a cable or something so i can change the "locale=" setting in the file "boot.conf".

Well, i don't know, i'm searching

Philippe.
    Hi there !

I finished to write down my procedure for Centro.
    Just one more post to be able to post links

Philippe.
    Here it is :

http://mo5.com/centro/index.html

Philippe.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    The carrier screens are created in RAM if missing when the radio is turned on or off. If you restored a backup the RAM copies will come back.
    Thanks, James. I did restore a backup.
    Shneor