Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Alas, this thread is starting to rot. Since updated GoogleMaps and Facebook are the only changes from 1.07->1.08, any chance we can just get a stripped 1.07 release?

I'm going to be installing the updated apps into RAM anyhow.
    Hi all. I am a long time Treo user (600, then 650). My 650 was getting flakey (headphone jack broken, etc) and I was looking at new phones when I found the Centro. My wife got me one for Christmas and I have been having a ball with it.

With my 650, I had customized my rom a few times, and had customized phone startup/shutdown screens. I would like to something similar with the Centro.

I have been looking over the info here, and am thinking I am about ready to try installing jamesgangut's GSM ROW ROM. The phone I have is an AT&T unlocked phone. I am using T-Mobile on it now.

Here we get to my questions/requests. First, can someone tell me what ROW stands for. I don't suppose it matters much, but I would like to know.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments before I start this, let me know. You can post or pm, depending on whether what you want to say has relavance to others or not.

I am hoping that we will eventually see a romtool like grack's for the 650. I would also like to update my phone start/stop screens like I did for my 650. If anyone is working on either of these, please let me know.

Finally, I am hoping to find sources for much of the stuff removed in the Custom ROM image. Some of it I would like to add back afterwards. I am insterested in both the original ROM version and updated versions.

Finally, since I have my own web server, I would like to offer web space to support this effort. I would like to put up copies of the ROM version of the removed software, copies of the ROM images, and any instructions, utilities, or other information relating to this. Basically, I would like to create a place where other interested users can go to get a One-Stop-Shopping location for custom ROMs and related issues. It would also provide a place for people like jamesgangut and others to place documentation.

Let me know what you guys think of this.

Scott
    ROW is (R)est (O)f (W)orld

The ROMTool will not work directly for the Centro. The 650 had a nice bootloader that allowed access to change ROMs directly. The Centro does not therefore you have to run them from the unit.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

4. tcs
    I just got myself a black color centro. Have successfully flashed with custom rom. However, i found that quick tour and google maps are still inside the ROM...i tot it supposed to be stripped out?

Since my centro alredi got .13 firmware so i din flash the firmware but only the custom rom. I dun think this will caused problem rite?
    Last edited by tcs; 01/17/2009 at 11:05 AM.
    Well, I just updated my phone and everything went well. I thought I would share a bit in case others are thinking about it, but not quite sure they want to try this.

First off, my phone is an unlocked AT&T but I use T-Mobile. As any who use a similar set up know, there is a bunch of crappy AT&T stuff that doesn't work and is fairly anoying.

Here is what I did:

Note that I used three programs that don't come with the Centro for this. The first is Filez. I don't use the Resco stuff, so Filez was perfect for me. It is free, but you will want to make sure you know how to use it.

I also used BackupMan to make a backup to my MicroSD (henceforth just SD) before proceeding. There are other backup programs, but you do need one. I got this one years and years ago. I had a new Treo 600 and tried the trial version. I had made a backup and then I had loaded something else. It caused a reset loop. I finally hard reset the thing, and restored from, SD. Magic! I sent the $$ to purchase BackupMan the same day!

I used Card Reader to mount the SD card on my PC. You get by without this, but it made moving files a lot easier.

I followed the instructions for the Firmware upgrade and it went perfectly. No issues.

I didn't have a spare SD available, so I used the following, slightly modified instructions for the ROM update.

1. Backup done before the Firmware upgrade.

2. With no blank SD, I just created a folder on the SD called ROW. I copied the CentroROW ROM Origianl folder that I had unzipped into the SD ROW folder. I also copied the PALM folder from the Cust-Centro folder where I had unzipped the custom ROW ROM that I was not going to use.

3. I copied Filez to the SD /PALM/Launcher folder so it would be available after the hard reset.

4. Hard Reset.

5. Launch Filez. Use it to copy the prc files from EXTERNAL (SD) ROW/PALM/Launcher to INTERNAL. Check that ROM Upgrade shows up in the laucher.

6. Use Filez to copy all the gnome....pdb files from EXTERNAL ROW/CentroROW ROM Original to INTERNAL. Use filez to verify there are in memory.

7. PLUG IN YOUR CENTRO TO YOUR AC ADAPTOR.

8. Launch RomUpdater from applications.

9. I was bit confused on how to proceed. When it says type nome, it mean exactly that. You will be in what looks like a document. You just type the four letters n o m and e and press enter.

10. Hard reset.

Done!! It went well, and no more stupid non-working AT&T stuff!. Also, my DBCache went from 15983 to 17711. Great!

I want to thank all those who have worked on this. Special thanks to jamesgangut and MFB.

Scott
    I have not heard lately on the Verizon Centro ROM update. I am on CENTRO-1.02-VZW. Any news?
    Hi Scott,
    Which update file did you use?

1. Centro CustomROW ROM with Update
    2. Firmware for Centro ROW or
    3. Cust-Centro?

I've been trying to figure out the difference between these....

Thx,
    Shneor

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcgee View Post
    Well, I just updated my phone and everything went well. I thought I would share a bit in case others are thinking about it, but not quite sure they want to try this.

First off, my phone is an unlocked AT&T but I use T-Mobile. As any who use a similar set up know, there is a bunch of crappy AT&T stuff that doesn't work and is fairly anoying.

Here is what I did:

Note that I used three programs that don't come with the Centro for this. The first is Filez. I don't use the Resco stuff, so Filez was perfect for me. It is free, but you will want to make sure you know how to use it.

I also used BackupMan to make a backup to my MicroSD (henceforth just SD) before proceeding. There are other backup programs, but you do need one. I got this one years and years ago. I had a new Treo 600 and tried the trial version. I had made a backup and then I had loaded something else. It caused a reset loop. I finally hard reset the thing, and restored from, SD. Magic! I sent the $$ to purchase BackupMan the same day!

I used Card Reader to mount the SD card on my PC. You get by without this, but it made moving files a lot easier.

I followed the instructions for the Firmware upgrade and it went perfectly. No issues.

I didn't have a spare SD available, so I used the following, slightly modified instructions for the ROM update.

1. Backup done before the Firmware upgrade.

2. With no blank SD, I just created a folder on the SD called ROW. I copied the CentroROW ROM Origianl folder that I had unzipped into the SD ROW folder. I also copied the PALM folder from the Cust-Centro folder where I had unzipped the custom ROW ROM that I was not going to use.

3. I copied Filez to the SD /PALM/Launcher folder so it would be available after the hard reset.

4. Hard Reset.

5. Launch Filez. Use it to copy the prc files from EXTERNAL (SD) ROW/PALM/Launcher to INTERNAL. Check that ROM Upgrade shows up in the laucher.

6. Use Filez to copy all the gnome....pdb files from EXTERNAL ROW/CentroROW ROM Original to INTERNAL. Use filez to verify there are in memory.

7. PLUG IN YOUR CENTRO TO YOUR AC ADAPTOR.

8. Launch RomUpdater from applications.

9. I was bit confused on how to proceed. When it says type nome, it mean exactly that. You will be in what looks like a document. You just type the four letters n o m and e and press enter.

10. Hard reset.

Done!! It went well, and no more stupid non-working AT&T stuff!. Also, my DBCache went from 15983 to 17711. Great!

I want to thank all those who have worked on this. Special thanks to jamesgangut and MFB.

Scott
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    Which update file did you use?

1. Centro CustomROW ROM with Update
    2. Firmware for Centro ROW or
    3. Cust-Centro?
    Shneor,

I used the Firmware for Centro ROW for the Firmware update. Then I used the CentroROW ROM Original for the Rom Update data with Cust-Centro PALM folder for the update program. The CentroROW ROM Original doesn't include the Update prc files, so you need the PALM folder from the Cust-Centro for that.

I will try to set up the web site I mentioned with the needed files and such tomorrow, if time permits. Meanwhile, I hope this helps you.

Scott
    Thanks, Scott.
    Shneor
    Hi.
    First of all i would like to thank Jams and all the people that have contributed to release this fantastic long waited custom rom for palm centro unlocked.
    I just installed it (Centro_CustomROW_ROM_with_Update), and all the process went fine.
    I have just found few curious things:
    - After the update in the alls i can still see google maps, but if i try to delete it.. i can!
    - There are a couple of mp3's (Getting Started.mp3 and Original.mp3) also left in ram.. so i deleted them..
    Just on my curiosity.. were these files left intentionally?
    Are there any more files left in ram that i do not need?
    Many many thanks again for the great job.
    Danilo
    Forgot to mention that "quickTour" was left in the rom. Any special reason for that?
    Thx.
    Danilo
    Ran the firmware and ROM updates - looks as though I have about 12 more mb RAM. But it still comes up saying AT&T....

Anyone know what the "Addit" files do? Is it OK to remove them? (I backed up and restored them)

Multi-thanks to James, Scott M, and others for helpful comments.

Now - there's one problem. My phone is originally an ATT. I unlocked it, and have been using a T-Mobile SIM card. Now, it's locked to T-Mobile! There was a oprevious poster who had a similar problem; his solution was to tap on the red icon in Prefs, where it says "locked", and he had a popup that let him unlock the phone. That's not working for me. So if anyone has a solution....I'd like to hear it. (But the phone and web are working just fine.)

Also, I downloaded and tried to install Versamail for Verizon - it just crashes my Centro every time I try it.

Thx.
    Last edited by shneor; 01/23/2009 at 06:20 PM.
    Shneor
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I've searched this entire thread and I cannot find the files for the Verizon Centro ROM update. Am I just blind? If someone can point me to them and let me know they work for a stock Verizon Centro with the 1.02 firmware, I would appreciate it. thorne
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    I've searched this entire thread and I cannot find the files for the Verizon Centro ROM update. Am I just blind? If someone can point me to them and let me know they work for a stock Verizon Centro with the 1.02 firmware, I would appreciate it. thorne
    he hasn't yet posted a sprint or verizon custom rom.

hopefully someday
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    Ran the firmware and ROM updates - looks as though I have about 12 more mb RAM. But it still comes up saying AT&T....

Anyone know what the "Addit" files do? Is it OK to remove them? (I backed up and restored them)

Multi-thanks to James, Scott M, and others for helpful comments.

Now - there's one problem. My phone is originally an ATT. I unlocked it, and have been using a T-Mobile SIM card. Now, it's locked to T-Mobile! There was a oprevious poster who had a similar problem; his solution was to tap on the red icon in Prefs, where it says "locked", and he had a popup that let him unlock the phone. That's not working for me. So if anyone has a solution....I'd like to hear it. (But the phone and web are working just fine.)

Also, I downloaded and tried to install Versamail for Verizon - it just crashes my Centro every time I try it.

Thx.
    That "lock" is just on the settings and Tmo always does that.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    That "lock" is just on the settings and Tmo always does that.
    Hi James,
    I never had that on my Treo 650, which I have owned for three to four years.

But the question is - can I put another SIM card in when I travel? I'll be in Mexico soon for a long weekend, and T-Mo charges $15/minute or mb of data, so I may want to buy a prepaid SIM in Mexico.

BTW, my firmware is now listed as G.R01.13 and the software is listed as Centro-1.01-ATT.

Thanks again for the work that went into this!
    Shneor
    The locking of settings happened with the 680 I am pretty sure. Yes it should work fine with another sim.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    subscribing. Just got an ATT locked centro. Upgraded from a treo650. Loved it, still do, but it's slowly dying. Actually still like it's keyboard more than the centro. It fits my fingers, centro's is small. Any way, hate all the ATT apps sitting there never to be touched. This may be my option. I've jailbroken an iPhone and that was scary, but it worked fine. How hard could this be?
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    just testing this. I had to change my userCP settings to set this to subscribe.
    Hi all,
    Completely new to Palm here and very pleased with it so far still a lot to discover though
    Just got a centro last week (unlocked) and I am very interested in this custom ROM.
    However, my Centro has an Azerty keyboard and I have found no reference if that is supported in this ROM. I don't know if it would be removed by cleaning up language files? I prefer the phone itself to be in English, so no problem there, but the keyboard layout is kind of important to me.

Can anyone who has installed this ROM confirm that after the hard reset it asks for keyboard layout?
    Or can anyone with an azerty keyboard confirm it still works?
    As I found on a forum some older Treo's ask to tap the "z" key after hard reset, not sure about the centro. On first launch it asked me for language preference and stylus calibration but no mention of tapping a key...

Many thanks in advance,

Wouter