Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    can I restore through NVbackup after applying the update?
  2.    #3  
    I just got done applying the update to my phone and have noticed that a couple of the built-in apps have updated version numbers. Messaging is now v2.7. The Phone app is now v2.5 and says "(c) 2008". Bluetooth is now at v3.3A. FYI, I did a backup and restore using BackupBuddyVFS v4.4. Seems to have worked fine so far...
    That's really odd. I thought that Verizon's 755p was released way after the Sprint version - yet those app version numbers are identical to the one on my Sprint 755p.

*boggle*
  4.    #5  
    Update: I am having major issues with Bluetooth. It works fine after a hard reset, however after I do a restore using BBVFS and I attempt to access Bluetooth from any menu or in any way, the phone reboots instantly.
  5.    #6  
    Update 2: I finally gave up trying to get Bluetooth to work. I had to restore my files and get everything set up so I'm stuck with Bluetooth resetting the phone everytime the app is accessed. Other notes: the Messaging app (SMS) is completely redone for the 755p (on Verizon, anyway) and is now more identical to the VZW version of the 700p. Also, manuevering around the phone is SLOW. There's a good 3/4 to 1 sec delay between switching between screens/apps/everything. Real nice, Palm.

I honestly wish I could downgrade at this point because everything is just so slow. Thankfully I don't use Bluetooth because I don't have any time right now to try and figure out what's going on there.

Ugh. 6 hours spent trying to get this phone "updated". What a waste.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    so are their any problems prior to restoring your data? sounds like this update may want a clean install. I need bluetooth since CA just started enforcing the hands-free law. I'll be holding off until I hear back from some others...
    People had issues with Bluetooth on some of the other upgrades. I think the solution was to hard reset and selectively restore files that did not have anything to do with bluetooth.
    VZ update seems to have updated ok. Took 35 minutes and used the Windors XP method and NOT the Mini SD method. I can confirm the same app versions for phone, BT and messaging as above, however, I do not experience the BT resetting issues reported by C5vettes. For me the BT connection was much faster to my Jawbone headset. VZ signal strength improved in certain areas. Application delay and lag seems about the same as before. The Centro that I am testing continues to be faster, but I do not have the same volume of data stored on it yet. I'll report more later.....
    JP

Palm Personal -> 2MB Upgrade -> Palm VX -> HE330 -> Clie N76C -> Palm Tungsten C -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P (VZ)
  9.    #10  
    Yeah, I'm guessing it wants a clean install too. Before restoring my files, I did not experience any problems, although I did not do any sort of testing whatsoever besides calling a single a sending a couple text messages. What I'm going to have to do is just do a hard reset and reinstall everything. I tried to do a restore without restoring anything related to Bluetooth but I guess I missed the key file that is involved with the crashes because it didn't work. FYI, I did the upgrade via a 4GB miniSD card, NOT via HotSync/Desktop method. I am using Windows Vista.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I am very surprised by the number of people not commenting about this. Are people waiting to see what happens, after the botched 700 update?

Should I take the plunge? Loss of bluetooth would be a major problem for me.
    Visit My Blog

My website -- EsquireTech Solutions
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Esquire1996 View Post
    I am very surprised by the number of people not commenting about this. Are people waiting to see what happens, after the botched 700 update?

Should I take the plunge? Loss of bluetooth would be a major problem for me.
    Yeah, seriously good point. I thought for sure there'd be more feedback by now about this update... I would do the update if you don't mind starting from scratch and don't plan on doing a Restore of any data. I believe that's why I'm having the Bluetooth problems because I did a Restore.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    if there's nothng wrong with your treo now THEN dont upgrade/update. everytime theres an update, problems always come up. i kinda hate upgrades and updates, they're scary.
    Funny, but I posted on PalmInfocenter shortly after Ryan posted the blurb about the 'update,' and said "YOU go first...."

There were two replies. There isn't a whole lot of activity over here or on 1src about the update either. My sense is that it's being greeted with a huge 'yawn.'

I ordinarily rush out and do these things right away, but I have finally obtained a level of stability with my 755p and the last thing I want to do is have to start over. Unless and until I start hearing folks talk about how things are so much better now that they've done the update, or there's a brandy new feature which I decide I have to have, or they somehow miraculously put the stack in the ROM to enable the 'where am I' feature from Google Maps on a 755p (I know they haven't), I'm probably going to sit this one out, too.

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
  14.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by hgoldner View Post
    Funny, but I posted on PalmInfocenter shortly after Ryan posted the blurb about the 'update,' and said "YOU go first...."

There were two replies. There isn't a whole lot of activity over here or on 1src about the update either. My sense is that it's being greeted with a huge 'yawn.'

I ordinarily rush out and do these things right away, but I have finally obtained a level of stability with my 755p and the last thing I want to do is have to start over. Unless and until I start hearing folks talk about how things are so much better now that they've done the update, or there's a brandy new feature which I decide I have to have, or they somehow miraculously put the stack in the ROM to enable the 'where am I' feature from Google Maps on a 755p (I know they haven't), I'm probably going to sit this one out, too.

Harold
    Yeah, I should of known better than to apply this update. I blame myself.

I can confirm that with the new update and after installing the newest version of Google Maps, the "My Location" feature does NOT work. It says the same thing as before the update which is "My Location does not work on this device, only with the Palm Centro".
    Ditto. This is the least necessary update ever IMO. I may never pull the trigger on 1.08, where in the past I was always desperate to fix an underperforming 600/650/700p. The 755 rocks....comparatively.
    I respect the if it isn't broke don't fix it philosophy. Also, I don't question the reality of those who appear to have issues with this update.

Just for those who may be scared off by some of the comments in this thread I can report that I followed the instructions exactly as given. I did the download to my computer not the memory card method. It took about 45 minutes. Since this procedure requires a hard reset I did a full restore using NVBackup. I have more third party applications on my unit than I can count.
    Everthing was restored perfectly with all preferences and passwords intact.

Nothing radically different appears to have occurred since the upgrade. My unit seems to be slightly faster and has fewer lags issues. But that may be just an imaginary new upgrade delusion. At any rate the upgrade did no noticeable harm and everythings seems to be in perfect working order. I suspect that that vast majority will have the same no problem experience with this process.
  17.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmTreo650User View Post
    I respect the if it isn't broke don't fix it philosophy. Also, I don't question the reality of those who appear to have issues with this update.

Just for those who may be scared off by some of the comments in this thread I can report that I followed the instructions exactly as given. I did the download to my computer not the memory card method. It took about 45 minutes. Since this procedure requires a hard reset I did a full restore using NVBackup. I have more third party applications on my unit than I can count.
    Everthing was restored perfectly with all preferences and passwords intact.

Nothing radically different appears to have occurred since the upgrade. My unit seems to be slightly faster and has fewer lags issues. But that may be just an imaginary new upgrade delusion. At any rate the upgrade did no noticeable harm and everythings seems to be in perfect working order. I suspect that that vast majority will have the same no problem experience with this process.
    Interesting... I'm going to switch to NVBackup from BBVFS Pro because most people seem to be having good experiences with it and BBVFS Pro hasn't been updated in about a year while NVB was last updated 6/30! Thanks for the info!
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmTreo650User View Post
    I also suspected that it was the BBVFS restore which was the source of the other user's problems, and went ahead, despite all my protestations to the contrary, and did the non-card update yesterday. It also took 40' but would have taken less if I had responded to the prompts faster (I do have work to do...)

I then restored everything using NVBackup.

I have complete functionality, and I believe the BT interface is a tad faster. I had to repair devices with the Treo 755p, however I got a confirmation tone when I paired my BlueAnt X3 for the first time, and I suspect that it will stop spontaneously 'disappearing' which had been a problem prior to the update.

I haven't tested the Garmin XT with it yet, but I'll report back when I have.

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
  19.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by hgoldner View Post
    I also suspected that it was the BBVFS restore which was the source of the other user's problems, and went ahead, despite all my protestations to the contrary, and did the non-card update yesterday. It also took 40' but would have taken less if I had responded to the prompts faster (I do have work to do...)

I then restored everything using NVBackup.

I have complete functionality, and I believe the BT interface is a tad faster. I had to repair devices with the Treo 755p, however I got a confirmation tone when I paired my BlueAnt X3 for the first time, and I suspect that it will stop spontaneously 'disappearing' which had been a problem prior to the update.

I haven't tested the Garmin XT with it yet, but I'll report back when I have.

Harold
    BBVFS definately had something to do with it. However, I used the SD card updater not the desktop updater. FYI, the .zip file for the SD card updater contains a newer build of the ROM update files as well as completely different file dates, etc. I believe the desktop updater was compiled by Palm using the wrong files as they are dated in April and the zip file files are dated June 23rd.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast