Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Completed the Verizon desktop update and restored my 755p this afternoon, with no apparent issues. I have tried all the others, and currently use Resco Backup Pro as the only one that has never given me the hint of a problem. Will post later if I notice any phone differences, pro or con.
    I'm not sure it would make sense for Palm to put two updates out there depending upon the install technique. Moreover, I would expect something put out for use over a cellular network to have been completed some time prior to release to ensure carrier certification.

It's possible that the June files were repackaged for the install routine on the MiniSD and thereby acquired new dates, but otherwise it just doesn't make sense.

FYI, I had no problem pairing my Garmin Mobile XT to the Treo 755p after the update and it ran fine yesterday.

My current versions of the key messaging software show as:

Messaging 2.7
    Phone 2.5
    BT applets 3.3a

Phone Info reveals Treo755p-1.08-VZW

Do you come up with something else?

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I also have the same old lag as before...haven't tried bluetooth yet.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by hgoldner View Post
    I'm not sure it would make sense for Palm to put two updates out there depending upon the install technique. Moreover, I would expect something put out for use over a cellular network to have been completed some time prior to release to ensure carrier certification.

It's possible that the June files were repackaged for the install routine on the MiniSD and thereby acquired new dates, but otherwise it just doesn't make sense.

FYI, I had no problem pairing my Garmin Mobile XT to the Treo 755p after the update and it ran fine yesterday.

My current versions of the key messaging software show as:

Messaging 2.7
    Phone 2.5
    BT applets 3.3a

Phone Info reveals Treo755p-1.08-VZW

Do you come up with something else?

Harold
    Yeah I've got those versions as well.

I tried something yesterday that I didn't think would work but it did; I was able to successfully run the desktop updater and "re-apply" the v1.08 update to my phone! It didn't prompt me to say anything about me already having the update or anything which I thought was weird. In the end, it didn't matter because I've still got the same lag problems and things are no better than before; BT is still farked. I spent 9 hours yesterday trying to pin point the problem by deleting things, etc from my phone with no luck. I've managed to get somehow get Versamail to reset the phone now as well as SMS. Things are getting progressively worse. If I'm going to start over from the beginning and have to re-install everything, it's going to be with a new, non-Palm device because this is BS. I still can't believe Palm hasn't officially "annouced" the release of the update. God, they are such idiots! Can you imagine what they must feel like with all the negative experiences that people have had and have written about? They're the President Bush of the Smartphone world.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I understand your frustration. If I hadn't been with the Palm OS since the first U.S. Robotics Pilot, I might be tempted to go elsewhere, too. Unfortunately, the Blackberries don't seem near as user friendly, even if I were going to switch. And I use several of the Palm-compatible apps in my work on a daily basis.

Hopefully the replacement Linux (?) based OS will be more robust.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Ok, so I performed the update this afternoon. And despite having to restart it, since it didn't do anything for over 10 minutes, the update went off pretty smoothly.

I restored from my backup, and had no problems with the bluetooth and my car.

I will say that I don't notice any "improvements" but maybe that's just me.

Either way, I am at 1.08, and so far no problems.
    Visit My Blog

My website -- EsquireTech Solutions
    I performed the update a few days ago, via the Windows desktop and not the MiniSD card, and all appears well EXCEPT, that ever since, it is now draining the battery extremely rapidly, whereas I had previously been getting very good life from it. I had never gotten low on charge in six months of use, and I've gone dead twice in the past week. From looking at the little icon, it's possible that it may not be taking a full charge.

Is anyone else seeing this?
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Ok, so I said the update seemed to go "fine".

Well, I have no way to access my bluetooth files. Anytime I choose bluetooth from the preferences or use my "hot key" in the phone app, I get a reset.

Now what?

How do I delete my bluetooth settings for my car and try to re-pair. Maybe that will help.

I also restored from a backup, using Backup Man, and seemed to have no problems, until right now.

Bluetooth worked fine earlier, with no need to re-pair the phone after the update and restore.

Thoughts?
    Visit My Blog

I have not experienced the battery drain syndrome or the BT problem, but my update was from the sync cable and my restore was using NVBackup.

I had to re-pair all my BT devices, but I have had better interface with my BlueAnt X3 and no issues with my Garmin Mobile 10 since the update.

It's tempting to conclude that the problem is that whatever software is restoring your device(s) is overwriting files which accompanied the update and thereby 'downgrading' them.

Has anyone done a NVBackup restore after updating a Treo 755p and still had a problem? (And note that there's a brand new update to NVBackup).

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Well, I finally had some time to apply my 1.08 update. I've got mixed feelings about it. I had no issues at all while installing it, though it did appear to be frozen for a bit at first (but the whole process took me less than the 45 minutes cautioned by Palm). I did the miniSD-based install and restored from a standard Hotsync with Palm Desktop for Vista (the newest version).

After using my 755p more extensively than usual over the past few days, I've noticed that the main improvement of the update has been better signal strength in fringe areas. For example, I went downstairs in my building at work away from all windows & doors and I still had 1 bar of strength. Previously, I would have no bars and my Treo would "bleep bloop" and keep losing then reacquiring the signal. That's a substantial improvement IMO, even though my Moto K1m (also Verizon) shows 2 bars of strength & generally has far superior reception in all areas vs. my 755p.

Another minor improvement I've noticed is less lag when switching into the phone app or when ending a call (but it DOES still lag considerably). App to app switching seems a bit slower than before, unfortunately. It's about as laggy as my 700p was last year.

My battery consumption also seems to be higher than it was before, unfortunately. After taking the 755p off of the charger last night at 9pm, with the Seidio 2200mAh battery, I let it sit blinking overnight, doing VersaMail checks every hour starting at 8am. I did ~10 mins of data usage during the day with the screen brightness at about 2/3 brightness and BT & IR off. No voice usage whatsoever. I'm at 38% battery life remaining now, whereas under normal circumstances after equivalent time/usage, I'd probably be around 50%.

If the problems persist, then I'll do my usual "nuke it on a Sunday afternoon" and restore all apps & PIM data manually. A huge pain, yes, but probably worth it for the trade-off. I'm also running the "Centro-only" VersaMail 4.01 build 77 and it seems to operate more smoothly on my 755p with ROM 1.08 than it did previously.

All in all, I'd rate the update a 3/5. Good, but I really would've liked to have seen the battery drain bug squished as well as at least some minor ROM software updates (DTG 8.03? GMM 2.0.2.0? Blazer 4.5.8?). Since this is very likely the final update from Palm for any Garnet-based Treos, I'll just be glad we even got this, especially for Verizon users.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Just did a hard reset, and have access to bluetooth. Now, how to figure out which files not to restore.

Anyone?
    Visit My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Esquire1996 View Post
    Now, how to figure out which files not to restore.

Anyone?
    I recommend not restoring ANY file which says 'Bluetooth' or BT in it.

e.g.
    Bluetooth Device Cache
    Bluetooth Prefs Backup
    Bluetooth Trusted Devices
    BTExgLibDB

Harold
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Well, did the hard reset, and I didn't resore any bluetooth files. Not even ones that sounded like bluetooth.

No dice. Still get a reset whenever I try to access bluetooth.

Now doing another hard reset to try a new restore.
    Visit My Blog

I took the plunge and updated ...it took almost an hour from the sd card ...things seem to okay except I kept getting an error message ...aeslib library missing ...I called verizon and they had no clue and are actually sending me a new phone!

I checked the forums and found that if you upgrade versamail to the newest version, the problem is corrected ! Go figure ...guess I won't be needing the new phone!

type this into your browser on your treo

www.palm.com/versamail407
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Still a problem.

I tried a chat with palm support, and their answer is to hard reset and to restore through hotsync, but with a clean backup folder, and then restore each program, one at a time, to see which causes the problem.

I believe it must be a bluetooth file, since nothing else touches the bluetooth, to my knowledge.
    Visit My Blog

16.    #36  
    Well, did the hard reset, and I didn't resore any bluetooth files. Not even ones that sounded like bluetooth.

No dice. Still get a reset whenever I try to access bluetooth.

Now doing another hard reset to try a new restore.
    Finally, someone with the same problem as me! I have been trying to fix this problem ever since the update was first released. It's been killing me. I've tried everything I can think of. I've deleted ALL the BT files I can find using a variety of different methods. Nothing works. I have no way to access Bluetooth. I've done everything I can think of but can't seem to fix the problem unless I do a hard reset. It's extremely frustrating.

Has anyone else noticed that the option to "Automatically Collect MMS Messages" remains "checked" after you uncheck it and do a reboot? Unchecking that box will not "stick".

I'm going to be calling Verizon either tonight or tomorrow and get a replacement phone sent to me. Hopefully the v1.08 update hasn't been applied to their stock of 755's yet. Hopefully.
  17.    #37  
    Still a problem.

I tried a chat with palm support, and their answer is to hard reset and to restore through hotsync, but with a clean backup folder, and then restore each program, one at a time, to see which causes the problem.

I believe it must be a bluetooth file, since nothing else touches the bluetooth, to my knowledge.
    If you dial #*#377# it will display the System Error Log which should detail the reason for the last time the phone crashed. What does yours say after it reboots when you try to access BT? Here's what mine says:

A crash occurred on
    7/7/08 at 3:37 am while
    running "Bluetooth":

SystemMgr.c,
    Line:6919,
    SysLinkerStub():Failed
    to load the shared
    library.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Mine says the same exact thing.

It can't be a third party software issue, like Palm would like me to believe, since it is highly unlikely we have exactly the same programs running, wouldn't you say?
    Visit My Blog

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    And I must say the phone feels much more sluggish than before.
    Visit My Blog

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I upgraded a Verizon Treo 650 to aVerizon Treo 755P 1 month ago.

As I was still in the 30 day return period I decided to proceed with the upgrade this past weekend.

I used the Desktop XP method and Resco backup to restore from a card. I have had absolutely no issues. I did have to re pair the phone with my Lexus factory Bluetooth but have had no problems using Bluetooth or accessing the menu's.

I have not noticed any change in battery drain nor any increased or decreased responsiveness. I had one spontaneous hard reset about a week before the upgrade but no resets of any kind since the upgrade. I noticed some lagging when hanging up and changing applications when I first got the phone but those improved while using the old firmware and have not recurred with the update.

Perhaps my positive experience represents upgrading a relatively new phone with newer versions of some of the software.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast