1.    #1  
    I went through the arduous install routine on my Verizon Treo 755p to install Garmin Mobile XT. The process involves a hotsync with the files being installed to card, then getting the Treo to recognize and run the install *.prc file on the card, then getting the installation to run on the Treo.

Getting there takes a handful of resets just in the ordinary course of installation, but I got a looping reset after the formal install ran on the handheld itself, i.e., after the 'application' had been installed into RAM. Even Safeguard was fooled into quarantining the wrong application, then continuing the looping resets.

I had to do a hard reset to recover functionality.

Has anyone gotten Garmin Mobile XT to run on their Treo 755p and are there any tricks?

Thanks,

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
    Hmm, sorry you had so many problems. I have been a long time user, including on my 650. I haven't had nearly as many issues on my 755 and never that particular issue. I also installed many times due to beta testing etc. If you get it back to an install point I can help you get past some of the install trickery if you like.
    I have nearly no issues at all. Check this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=165637
  4.    #4  
    Seems I did the install incorrectly (the documentation is abysmal). I was able to reinstall and get the unit to actually sync to the Mobile 10, but learned that there were 'no detailed maps installed.'

I used a card reader to try to load the maps from my CD to the card. I picked the card drive letter plus directory \garmin because that's where the pre-existing smaller, less detailed '*.img' file was located (and I know that's the map).

It took hours for Garmin's mapinstaller to run, and I let the computer work on it over night. When I returned, the maps were apparently installed on the SD card in x:\garmin\cnnant8, but MobileXT can't see them when I run it on the Treo.

So, how do I get the detailed maps on the SD card?

Thanks,

H
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
    Interesting how some people have issues. I just recently got Mobile 10 and installed MobileXT on two 755Ps and a Centro - all working perfectly. When prompted for a device to install to, I always chose the SD card (card mounted to PC with a card reader) - even when running mapinstall to load detailed map sets. The trick might be NOT to choose your hotsync name when doing the initial install and loading maps. Although I did install via hotsync ID with the Centro and still worked fine.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  6.    #6  
    The documentation was the problem. I eventually (after third call to Garmin Tech Support) was able to install the maps to the SD and actually get the Garmin Mobile 10 to run with my Treo 755p.

But now, of course, the Verizon 1.08 update is out, which will wipe everything off the Treo and necessitate a reinstall, because the Garmin files are copy-protected and can't be backed up (they'll cause BackupMan to produce a reset).

Harold
    Quote Originally Posted by hgoldner View Post
    Seems I did the install incorrectly (the documentation is abysmal). I was able to reinstall and get the unit to actually sync to the Mobile 10, but learned that there were 'no detailed maps installed.'

I used a card reader to try to load the maps from my CD to the card. I picked the card drive letter plus directory \garmin because that's where the pre-existing smaller, less detailed '*.img' file was located (and I know that's the map).

It took hours for Garmin's mapinstaller to run, and I let the computer work on it over night. When I returned, the maps were apparently installed on the SD card in x:\garmin\cnnant8, but MobileXT can't see them when I run it on the Treo.

So, how do I get the detailed maps on the SD card?

Thanks,

H
    I did this process once when I first got Mobile XT a couple years ago. I've been moving the directory from card to card, and from my 650 to my 755P. So I haven't done it in a while.

I will say that I have a single 483MB file, GMAPSUPP.IMG in \Garmin in addition to the one you mentioned called GMAPBMAP.IMG weighing it at 30MB.

Hope that helps.
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    The documentation was the problem. I eventually (after third call to Garmin Tech Support) was able to install the maps to the SD and actually get the Garmin Mobile 10 to run with my Treo 755p.

But now, of course, the Verizon 1.08 update is out, which will wipe everything off the Treo and necessitate a reinstall, because the Garmin files are copy-protected and can't be backed up (they'll cause BackupMan to produce a reset).

Harold
    Hmm this actually sparked a question in my mind... Which version did you buy? The one that came with the external card that is locked to the card (and can be used with any BT GPS device)? Or the software version that allows you to install anywhere and uses the Garmin BT unit as the key?

There may be a difference. I have the Garmin BT unit, and when I have to reinstall to the Treo I do so from the card (I copy the files from the \Garmin\Palm directory to the \Palm\ directory).
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
  9.    #9  
    I did not purchase the Palm part #3380NA which is a smaller BT GPS unit. I got the Mobile 10 and the Mobile XT on a CD, so I believe now that I've done the install properly, I could migrate the data to any SD card I choose.

I know that I cannot backup the software on the Treo itself --- there's some sort of copy protection algorithm built into at least one of the files, confirmed by BackupMan's developer.

Harold
    Aah ok, I've never noticed the lock before. Kind of silly because the entire program is on the card which you can easily copy around. In fact I have it installed legally on 3 different devices since the Garmin BT GPS is the 'key'.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I know that I cannot backup the software on the Treo itself --- there's some sort of copy protection algorithm built into at least one of the files, confirmed by BackupMan's developer.

Harold
    Harold--So did you figure out a workaround for BackupMan? My BuM stopped making usable backups after I installed the Garmin software.

Thanks, Paddy
    I have the DVD/Software version that I put on my own card.

The installation method I've used is to ignore the Treo and install directly to the card, either through a card reader, or, more conveniently, using Card Export. I never could get the HotSync method to work.

Be sure you're using the latest tools from the Garmin Web site, too.

- Saul
  13.    #13  
    I have excluded all the Garmin XT files from my BackupMan backups. It's probably overkill, as there's probably only one or two files causing the resets, but since a backup without any key XT file is no better than one without any of them --- a restore from either will necessitate a reinstall of the XT software anyway --- I excluded all of them.

Has anyone who has installed to a SD card been able to run the software from the card only? That would be better, saving RAM and avoiding the backup issues.

Harold
    I don't have backup problems with NVBackup on all our phones.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I have excluded all the Garmin XT files from my BackupMan backups.

Harold
    That worked. Thanks.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    I don't have backup problems with NVBackup on all our phones.
    I completely agree. My NVBackups continue to function without any modification. Only my BackupMan backups needed the tweak.

I use BackupMan backups to be able to restore individual files from time to time (such as when I accidentally 'clear' Slap). I use NVBackup as insurance against a hard reset.

Harold