Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Is there an app that will allow me to type more than one text message and send it in multiple parts? Its very annoying that the Centro only allows you to type one text and doesn't allow for an overflow of characters. I miss that from my old phone...once you passed the once full text message mark, it would tell you in the corner how many text messages it would have to send it in. Any ideas guys? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    From what I understand, character limitations are carrier specific. I have an unlocked centro and I can send practically an unlimited number of characters.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Awww man, is there any 3rd party app that will let me overcome it?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I'm not sure there is one. I do remember a launcher that came with an sms feature. Although I think it was more like a "shell" over the existing one - meaning the limit would still be there. In case you're interested it's Ultimate Phone by GX-5.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Interesting. I'll have to check that out. Any other ideas that you've heard of anyone? I'm really bummed out by that...maybe is there a way to do something to the firmware to get rid of the restriction?
    I remember there being an app that you could get that would extend the message length. Remember, however, that your recipient will likely receive 2 messages in order to cope with the longer messages.

I would search MTDN's app list for this one.
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by googs View Post
    Interesting. I'll have to check that out. Any other ideas that you've heard of anyone? I'm really bummed out by that...maybe is there a way to do something to the firmware to get rid of the restriction?
    Sorry, I'm out of ideas. Hope there's a solution cause that's definitely annoying.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post
    I remember there being an app that you could get that would extend the message length. Remember, however, that your recipient will likely receive 2 messages in order to cope with the longer messages.

I would search MTDN's app list for this one.
    will do. I don't mind if it sends in two messages, i just want to be able to type them all at once. Thanks for your help. By the way, what is MTDN?
    I don't mind if it sends in two messages, i just want to be able to type them all at once.
    I am going to suggest PictureSMS again. Bear in mind, its shareware though and I would recommend you try it first before you buy it.

In the Features list, note the following;

Send and receive unlimited SMS length
    will do. I don't mind if it sends in two messages, i just want to be able to type them all at once. Thanks for your help. By the way, what is MTDN?
    Don't know TC's restrictions on listing websites, but....mytreo.net.

Mods, please delete post if links not allowed.
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
    The 700p messaging app (on Verizon at least) would let you type >160 chars into a message, and automatically divide it into separate <160char messages and send them. It would be nice if we could port that functionality to the centro.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJSunDevil View Post
    The 700p messaging app (on Verizon at least) would let you type >160 chars into a message, and automatically divide it into separate <160char messages and send them. It would be nice if we could port that functionality to the centro.
    Hmm...has it been done yet? Will it work if I install it on Centro?
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laugher View Post
    I am going to suggest PictureSMS again. Bear in mind, its shareware though and I would recommend you try it first before you buy it.

In the Features list, note the following;

Send and receive unlimited SMS length
    Thanks a lot I'm going to check that out! This will be great if it works!
    I knew I remember talking about this in another thread. You can switch it to an MMS to extend the character limit to around 256ish.
    Oh, and I tried installing those two files that Lewko posted on a Sprint Centro, and it didn't work.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if Picture SMS or Ultimate Phone apps work to increase the 160 character limit? Any other ideas? Please....this limit is killinggg me!
    Does anyone know if Picture SMS or Ultimate Phone apps work to increase the 160 character limit? Any other ideas? Please....this limit is killinggg me!
    googs, after seeing this, I quickly installed PictureSMS and can see that it does allow message lengths greater than 160. However, there is a caveat. I already can type messages of more than 160. Centro's messaging app just breaks it up automatically for me when I hit Send. So I don't know if PictureSMS will do it for your Centro. Best thing for you to do is to install the shareware and try it.

From a useability perspective, I want to pull all my suggestions to try PictureSMS. It says its a messaging app better than Palm's default messaging app. But it isn't. Its slow (especially with my address book of 800+ contacts) and is not friendly/intuitive for one handed operations (many actions require you to pull out that dreaded stylus).

For example, when you first start a new message, going into the contacts window pane using the D-pad doesn't allow a way out of it once you're in. Activating things like "Quick Texts" doesn't allow you to exit without actually forcing you to select at least one (and its always the one you don't want).

I recommend staying away from it unless you're willing to pay for it to fix your 160+ length message (if it does that).

But I think someone could claim false advertising against its listed features after I test-drove it...
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laugher View Post
    googs, after seeing this, I quickly installed PictureSMS and can see that it does allow message lengths greater than 160. However, there is a caveat. I already can type messages of more than 160. Centro's messaging app just breaks it up automatically for me when I hit Send. So I don't know if PictureSMS will do it for your Centro. Best thing for you to do is to install the shareware and try it.

From a useability perspective, I want to pull all my suggestions to try PictureSMS. It says its a messaging app better than Palm's default messaging app. But it isn't. Its slow (especially with my address book of 800+ contacts) and is not friendly/intuitive for one handed operations (many actions require you to pull out that dreaded stylus).

For example, when you first start a new message, going into the contacts window pane using the D-pad doesn't allow a way out of it once you're in. Activating things like "Quick Texts" doesn't allow you to exit without actually forcing you to select at least one (and its always the one you don't want).

I recommend staying away from it unless you're willing to pay for it to fix your 160+ length message (if it does that).

But I think someone could claim false advertising against its listed features after I test-drove it...
    Thanks a lot for your help! That was a really helpful post! I'm going to see if there is possibly another program or some sort of hack that will help me. I hope someone has some idea...
    I have tried the apps that say unlimited sms messages. They break the message up into segments and send them. The bad thing is the recipient does always get the messages in the correct order. I wish there was a good solution for the limit. Right now i don't see one.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro