Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by prlundberg View Post
    3. Modern-looking STABLE POS!

Obviously, if all my wants were implemented the cost would go up quite a bit. But the basic flaws need to be fixed. The cheap construction and OS instability will not help with owner loyalty.
    Do you own one? It's very stable and I think Palm is generating a lot of satisfaction with its new customers.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    For the price, the materials seem very reasonable.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by prlundberg View Post
    1. Slightly thinner.

2. At least 70% better battery life.

3. Modern-looking STABLE POS!

4. Voice Dial

5. Better build quality with fewer squeaks, more tactile buttons, accessable SD slot, etc.

6. 3MP camera

7. WiFi

8. A design that isn't so slippery.

Obviously, if all my wants were implemented the cost would go up quite a bit. But the basic flaws need to be fixed. The cheap construction and OS instability will not help with owner loyalty.

3 a. look for skinui its free now
    b. Its actually really stable, if your getting resets start thread explaining what going on so others can help.

4 get nuance is on your centro and there is also voicedialit. It would be nice of it to be built in but these programs solve this.

5 Build quality is ok for the price and I think sd's are not going to be mainstream as phone manufacturesers have pretty much all accepted microsd.

8 LOL

As for the other things, I would also like to see alll those implemented.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    GPS
    Alerts for missed calls/sms
    Today screen
    x2

IF we can select color and or flash rate, sound type, sms vs call vs missed call settings, etc. they should integrate one of the after market products that gives you options.
    Yes, I own one, it is my first smartphone. It has not been that stable for me. Resets a couple times a week with normal use, much more often when I'm setting up software.

I do have skinui. Nice update. I also have the TouchLauncher demo. Not exactly what I'm looking for but I may buy it anyway.

I tried the demo of Nuance that came with the phone and found it neat but slow and cumbersome. Plus it's a rather expensive service considering most phones come with voice dialing for free. I shouldn't have to pay for that. Period. I have found that with the abundance of shortcut keys I don't really need voice dial anymore. But it would be nice to have. I almost didn't buy the Centro based on this alone. The touch screen and Sprint's 30 day return policy is what won me over.

I love the features and functionality of my Centro. However, the hardware quality is a step backwards from my previous Sanyo flip phone, and the PC interfaces that require 3 different methods to load stuff is cumbersome and still doesn't let you simply add files where you want. Just getting all the included software installed and upgraded was a time consuming PITA. For geeks like me, that's fine, but the average user that wants to use the phone for all it's advertised to do will almost certainly be frustrated. I have a considerable amount of time and effort invested in my Centro over the last month to get this "simple to use" phone operating the way I want (well, almost the way I want).

On the flip side, no other phone at this price can do so much. For now...

Overall, I really like this phone, and I realize that expectations at this price point should be fairly low. But if Palm doesn't improve on these things in the next Centro, a competitor almost certainly will.

Don't mean to sound so negative, and sorry for being so long-winded, but I think these will be real issues in a very fickle consumer market if they are not addressed. I'm no smartphone expert by any means (yet ), these are just my thoughts and initial impressions.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    prlundberg,

You should check out Initiate and Reset Doctor at www.hobbyistsoftware.com. Initiate's an awesome launcher that really makes things look modern. And you can also type launch anything (voice launching is also available for Initiate Pro). Reset doc helps you monitor the programs causing crashes so you can do something about them. It also has a handy cache clean function that helps make things more stable.

Haven't got any issues since I got Reset Doctor.

I agree though, out of the box, Palm should have these things all set up instead of having us search for solutions.

regards,

lorsban
    My advice is always to avoid installing 3rd party system tweaks, as much as they are tempting. Then you can use your phone for weeks without resets, Reset Doctor and whatever.
    I think the OS is very stable. I can't remember the last time I had a reset. I have it jammed full of 3rd party apps and tweaks too. I use cleanstart to load just what I want loaded and tealscan to scan the unprotected background apps and unlocked background resources. Since using tealscan and fixing the unprotected apps the OS is rock solid.

Overall, for $99 you can't beat the centro its build quality is decent. I would be willing to pay more for a sharp looking aluminum thinner centro though. I bet many would too.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee View Post
    Since using tealscan and fixing the unprotected apps the OS is rock solid.
    But you see, that's my point. Novice users, who the Centro is targeted at and selling well to, probably won't be doing that.

And if you don't install 3rd party apps, why buy a Palm in the first place? That's Palm's main strength IMO.
    I use productivity and multimedia 3rd party apps, just not tweaks like SkinUI, Ringo, Butler etc. Anything that overrides system functionality is not on my phone.

The Palm OS is not good for this kind of stuff; actually I don't think any OS is. It looks a bit stale but if you can live with it, it's very efficient and easy to use and that's the point of using a Palm device.

It may be a stretch, but I tend to think that the Palm OS does what Palm believes is reasonable for its underlying technology. Of course, some limitations are arbitrary due to carrier objections but this is a good principle to follow as a user.
    Last edited by sivan; 07/02/2008 at 01:00 PM.
    GPS & a better web browser, especially with better Javascript support
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I use productivity and multimedia 3rd party apps, just not tweaks like SkinUI, Ringo, Butler etc. Anything that overrides system functionality is not on my phone.

The Palm OS is not good for this kind of stuff; actually I don't think any OS is. It looks a bit stale but if you can live with it, it's very efficient and easy to use and that's the point of using a Palm device.

It may be a stretch, but I tend to think that the Palm OS does what Palm believes is reasonable for its underlying technology. Of course, some limitations are arbitrary due to carrier objections but this is a good principle to follow as a user.

I'm going to have to disagree on that one.

I am using a couple of system type apps

skinui
    phoneswitch
    prefs app hide
    accesoriser

My 755p is rock solid and even after hour sor opera mini straming via kinoma overclocked and alot of ljp I get no resets. Most of the time resets are cause by conflicting or badly designed appa /and or corrupted databases.
    Centro 2 should be designed to be upgradable to Nova.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Wifi I could care less about. Doesn't help much on the road.

A2DP, aGPS and Rev A would be great and can be attained with update because they are already in the device. Either Palm or the carrier have dropped the ball on this. Sprint has promised an update but has yet to come through for some reason. Any Sprint workers/reps hear of any update?
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    My advice is always to avoid installing 3rd party system tweaks, as much as they are tempting. Then you can use your phone for weeks without resets, Reset Doctor and whatever.
    IMHO, this is definitely the way to a happier Palm OS experience.

Tweaks like SkinUI can be cool, but they're necessarily hacks since Palm OS doesn't provide the infrastructure to support them. As a result, application and resets are pretty much guaranteed.

Because of that, it's best to avoid system tweaks and hacks (and apps that do the same) wherever possible.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    I use Butler for missed calls and sms alert. The free trial never actually expires. It will bug you a couple of times to buy but after that it just leave you alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    GPS
    Alerts for missed calls/sms
    Today screen
  17.    #37  
    I used my Centro while on holiday in Rome this week and the download speeds were fantastic! 3G is a big must for me now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Sagan View Post
    I've had my Centro for a few weeks now and it's turned out to be an excellent purchase. I love the form factor, the apps you can get for it and that it has a qwerty (one reason I dumped my n73 is I can't stand non qwerty keyboards after having an XDA Mini S).

But it isn't perfect, there's a few things I wish it'd have, also at some point Palm will need to release the successor to the Centro and I wonder what it'll be like...

Things I'd like to see:

• Form factor: no change please I love it!

• A bump with the camera would be good to at least 3mp

• 3G please!

• A better battery, the Centro just about gets me through the day

• Wifi would be nice

What would you like to see change or be added to the Centro?
    In reference to few of your suggested upgrades...

3G - 1xEvDo or 3G on CDMA is already existant. I doubt you will ever see UMTS/3G for GSM networks because there is no UMTS stack for PalmOS and I don't think Palm is interested in the costly developmental costs of creating one. Never going to happen....

wifi - As above...limitation of the POS. POS is not good with mutiple seemless switching between radios. Never going to happnen. Sorry...

Things that are possible:

GPS - or more specifically AGPS. Palm has already mentioned they are going to release a patch to allow googlemaps access to agps on the CDMA Centros like the ATT Centros. If Palm opens the API's for 3rd party GPS apps, that would be great.

Better camera - I would love to see 2+MP digicams with a FLASH!! Jees I don't understand WTH Palm doesn't add flash to their phones?

Voice Dialing/Voice command OTB - I really think this has been a void in the POS Treo/Centros for too long. Palm has to get on the ball on this one...

Other stuff like better battery life etc are nice too, but I understand that you need to make sacrifices to make a device smaller and slimmer. But I wish Palm would let 3rd party ODM like Sedio to make aftermarket standard batteries for the Centro...

Overall, the main thing Palm can do to upgrade the Centro is to make the software bundle more appealing and interesting. That means more useful and fun apps like the facebook app they released. I would love to see Palm bundle some really cool 3rd party apps into standard bundle for the Centro like TCPMP, Resco Viewer (which is 10x better than the Pic app), Recso viewer, etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Here's what I predict (unlikely to see any of it, or even any future POS devices but still) on a Centro 2:

-More RAM (~110mb available out of 128mb like the TX?) or the usual ~64mb internal + maybe an internal 1 or 2 gig flash drive ala T5 so users can store stuff on there without having to deal with a microSD card

-Improved Google Maps Location accuracy/integrtation

-2mp camera (maybe the slower GSM version will stick to 1.3mp) from the 800w. Flash or autofocus is unlikely though.

-"new" microUSB connector to make the lineup uniform, starting with the 800w. Much like how the Tungsten E2 went with the Athena connector and made a lot of original T|E owners upset, Palm's gonna irk some upgraders if they do this. But I think we've seen the end of the Athena connector already so this seems like a no-brainer.

-Standard voice dialing/command, a Gfunk said. Now, it still isn't likely to work very well but they WILL have it.

-Unlikely but possible, a 3.5mm headphone jack for the music fans.

-Unlikely but possible is that Palm will finally get acceptable A2DP functionality under Garnet (like those hidden BT audio menus authat sometimes pop up on the Centro & 755p). It might only work reliably with PTunes, though.

-Higher-capacity stock battery. 1500mAh seems most likely.

-Also, stuff like Facebook in ROM is a no-brainer, as Gfunk said.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    -Unlikely but possible, a 3.5mm headphone jack for the music fans.
    I fail to see why it is so hard to buy a 2.5-3.5 adapter plug
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast