1.    #1  
    Hi,

I am just now trying out this popular app. It seems really cool, except one thing... I can't dial any numbers. It always begins a contact search based on what I dial.

It seems like a silly question but I can't figure it out. Is there a way to simply dial a number from the main screen?

Thanks,

Zack
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    From the FIND screen it will start out searching though your contacts until it doesn't match any of your contacts, then the number will show up. This may be an option that you have to find, but it definitely works on my phone. Also you can go to the DIALPAD screen.
    You could also cycle to the dialpad screen but I just do what dave suggests and type away.
  4.    #4  
    Wow. That's cool, I should have thought of that. Thanks Dave.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    I've got a similar question to the above, as now I am trying this app out. I would like the program to search for names when I use the keyboard, and numbers when I touch the screen (when using the dialpad on the search screen, as pressing the numbers search by words). What I'm trying to avoid is to have to use the option button in order to get that screen to type in numbers. Is there a way to do that?
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Also, I can't seem to get the "capture" function to dial out, even though I've got the option selected in the preferences. Am I missing something?
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Nevermind, I saw what I was missing for the capture.
    Quote Originally Posted by RBallard View Post
    I've got a similar question to the above, as now I am trying this app out. I would like the program to search for names when I use the keyboard, and numbers when I touch the screen (when using the dialpad on the search screen, as pressing the numbers search by words). What I'm trying to avoid is to have to use the option button in order to get that screen to type in numbers. Is there a way to do that?
    You're trying to make it harder than it is. Just type the phone number. Eventually it won't find any matches and the number you typed will appear. It does both of what you are trying to do at the same time. Quite ingenious I think.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Quite ingenious I think.
    That is pretty slick. I just have to type slowly (even in Turbo mode) otherwise digit get skipped. My PalmInternals benchmarks are OK so it's not hede drag, but I wonder if other TP users require this slow entry. Anyone else?

I'm going to try LightSpeed to give TAKEphONE and a couple other apps a little "oomph". I wish Dmitry would click the bit in WarpSpeed that would allow it to run on my Treo so I didn't have to drop more cash for my 3rd clock changing app (I bought PXA Clocker, then WarpSpeed). Oh well, I'm an impatient person when it comes to my electronic devices...
  10. UserOne
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    That is pretty slick. I just have to type slowly (even in Turbo mode) otherwise digit get skipped. My PalmInternals benchmarks are OK so it's not hede drag, but I wonder if other TP users require this slow entry. Anyone else?
    I just spent the last 5 minutes or so actually trying to type #'s as fast as I could into TAKEphone hehe. Try as I might, my thumbs couldn't make TP miss a digit on my 755p. Just for reference, I am not using "Turbo mode" or Lightspeed or any other OC'ing apps.

Just my .02... L8R
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UserOne View Post
    I just spent the last 5 minutes or so actually trying to type #'s as fast as I could into TAKEphone hehe. Try as I might, my thumbs couldn't make TP miss a digit on my 755p.
    Thanks for experimenting. I suppose I will have to work with CleanStart a bit to see what's causing my problem.

Worth noting:

• According to DbFixIt I have 703 records in my ContactsDB - and these are organized into 16 categories (17 if you were to count All as a category)
    • A new finding... This happens just a badly in the internal Palm Phone application
    • I'm using the Treo keyboard. If I go to the phone screen in TP and enter using the kb it still can't keep up, but it does take entry as fast as I can type using the onscreen numeric pad.
    You're trying to make it harder than it is. Just type the phone number. Eventually it won't find any matches and the number you typed will appear. It does both of what you are trying to do at the same time.
    I remember asking a question regarding this same "issue" with TP and numbers dialing (from the Find screen) some time ago. I think I recieved that same answer (even think it was from you) back then. I since have being following the advice, and it works mostly fine, but I can understand RBallard. I still would like TP to work number-dialing the way Ballard describes it.

Thing is, for example, if you type a wrong number by accident in the first number dialed but you don't see it at the moment and only see it after you have typed like 4 more numbers (when TP finally shows them after not fiding any more matches), then you have to erase everything and start over from the begining. That would not happen if TP would let the name-searching to ONLY works when using the keyboard letters, as suggested by RBallard. Because you would quickly see the misstyping.

Of course, one could just click on the Dialpad tab ... but that will ruin the whole one-screen-do-everything (Find) thing.
    Last edited by Cheker; 10/23/2008 at 04:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    (Sorry I didn't post back sooner)

Thanks for helping me out NachoB. Though I'm of the same sentiment as Cheker as to how that particular screen should function (as a preference/option at the least), knowing that it functions like that is satisfactory to me. Thanks again!
    Just realized this, as I never use the Dialpad tab, but tried inputting a 7 digit number using the keyboard and only one of the numbers was received by TP, that sux and the Dialpad tab seems useless if you're going dial using the keyboard. Using the onscreen keypad worked okay though, but I dislike having to touch the screen.
    Last edited by NachoB; 10/27/2008 at 09:29 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Just realized this, as I never use the dialpad screen...
    How do you usually dial if not by keypad or keyboard?
    What I meant was that I keep TAKEphONE on the Find tab mostly and dial from there using the keyboard, I don't go to the Dialpad tab.
    If I hit the # key while in the Dialpad tab it recognizes numbers just fine.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    You can press the option button and the number you want to dial.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    This thread is (IMO) still not to old to resurrect. My Treo was acting up and I couldn't enable the phone, so I did a hard reset this morning. While it was clean I ran PalmInternals and it reported 111 ticks in 1 second. What a difference for me!

Next I tried dialing the phone and it kept up with me just fine. I just installed TAKEphONE 7.70 (012) and no delay. Hmm... I need my phone back so I can't play much more, but I know now that it's not my phone and it's not TP.

This phone is snappy with no apps installed! Maybe I'll get into a controlled/minimal install rebuild one of these days to see what really drags it down.
    Yeh, when I set up my fiancee's Centro after having my own fir several months, her's running stock seemed incredibly fast. Mine's only at 18 seconds according to PalmInternals, but nothing beats the speed of a bare phone. Now I see phwelo's passion & approach with creating his customizations!