1.    #1  
    What files can the phone play? Looking for the information I have found apps that play this and that, but I would rather know what the phone will do on its own first. Do I have to have an app to play AVI files or do they just want me to buy one? If I do have to have an app to play files that weren't recorded onto the phone is there one that is free? Thanks for your time.
    well, to play video files that you ADD to the phone, there is not a native app that plays them. Just download the free TCPMP, which you can store on your card along with your video files; it plays .avi, mpeg4 and several others. You can review the file associations when you install it, there are plug-ins for a bunch of file types.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
  3.    #3  
    To add the extra files to read more file types I just put them on the card with the app? I'm really sorryo to be asking these kinds of questions, I feel like I should know, but I really don't want to brick this phone and I'm having a hard time finding the simple information.

Thanks for the advice. It is really cool to learn more and more about all the things this phone can do.
    No problem, that's how we learn. Yes, just download the TCPMP program to your computer and you'll need the main TCPMP .prc and then you'll see a bunch more ; they are plug-ins that play specific files types:

The Core Pocket Media Player for Palm OS

1. Install the player: tcpmp.prc

2. Install the plugins you want/need:

**tcpmp_mpeg4_plugin.prc: ISO MPEG-4 (DivX and XviD), H.263, MS-MPEG4-v3 video codecs.

**tcpmp_mp3_plugin.prc: MP3 audio codec used not just by .mp3 files, but most .avi files too.

tcpmp_matroska_plugin.prc: Matroska container, support for .mkv and .mka files.

tcpmp_vorbishq_plugin.prc: Ogg Vorbis package

**tcpmp_mpeg1_plugin.prc: MPEG-1 video, support for .mpg files

tcpmp_camera_plugin.prc combined codecs for digital cameras: MJPEG, JPG, PNG, TIFF.

tcpmp_mpc_plugin.prc: Musepack audio format, support for .mpc files.

**tcpmp_amr_plugin.prc: GSM AMR audio, mostly used in .3gp files created with mobile phones.

tcpmp_sonyhhe_plugin.prc: Sony HHE GE2D support for Sony Clie TH/UX/VZ

tcpmp_zodiac_plugin.prc: Zodiac ATI Imageon video acceleration support

I put double stars before the plug-ins you should definitely install; I might also install the plug-in called tcpmp_aac_plugin.prc as this plays unprotected AAC files.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    well, to play video files that you ADD to the phone, there is not a native app that plays them. Just download the free TCPMP, which you can store on your card along with your video files; it plays .avi, mpeg4 and several others. You can review the file associations when you install it, there are plug-ins for a bunch of file types.
    What codec does TCPMP use for .avi files? I didn't see that on the list (but then I need new glasses also).

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    What codec does TCPMP use for .avi files? I didn't see that on the list (but then I need new glasses also).

I believe it natively supports .avi, and then you load the rest of the plug-ins that you want to use.
  7.    #7  
    So to be clear here.

I can put my SD card in a card reader and put that in my computer, they create a folder on that card, put the app and all the plug ins I want on it and then that will run like it is. I can then load my videos on the card and roll on
    ?

I just want to be sure as I didn't quite get what you were saying as far as runnig the app and where to put it in reference to the plug ins.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts

AVI is just a container type. Has nothing to do with codecs. You'll need a free program like GSpot Codec Appliance ( http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ ) to figure out what it's coded in.

TCPMP does support divx / xvid encoded video in avi files. This codec is commonly used in a lot of avi files floating around out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    AVI is just a container type. Has nothing to do with codecs. You'll need a free program like GSpot Codec Appliance ( http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ ) to figure out what it's coded in.

TCPMP does support divx / xvid encoded video in avi files. This codec is commonly used in a lot of avi files floating around out there.
    So if I understand, just because a file has .avi as an extender it may or may not play using TCPMP?

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by melphen View Post
    So to be clear here.

I can put my SD card in a card reader and put that in my computer, they create a folder on that card, put the app and all the plug ins I want on it and then that will run like it is. I can then load my videos on the card and roll on
    ?

I just want to be sure as I didn't quite get what you were saying as far as runnig the app and where to put it in reference to the plug ins.
    yes, you can put the TCPMP .prc in the Palm/Launcher folder on your card and just put the plug-in .prc on the card as well, they don't need to be in the Palm/Launcher folder. Then you can drag your video files into the folder on the card called DCIM. When you open the player, go to Options - Open File and it will find all the video files.
    So if I understand, just because a file has .avi as an extender it may or may not play using TCPMP?

.avi files will play on TCPMP, make sure you also use the plug-in called divx/xvid (mpeg-4).

EDIT: here is a neat little free app that I use to encode to divx (.avi) and it is specifically for the screen sizes of smartphones, PDA's, etc

http://www.pocketdivxencoder.net/
    Last edited by dollface; 06/27/2008 at 04:59 PM.
    Unfortunately, that program doesn't work under Windows Vista.

Unfortunately, that program doesn't work under Windows Vista.

Bummer, this is just my two cents, but switch back to Windows XP Pro.