Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Ok I've able able to reproduce why the CENTRO can't sleep properly.

For some reason the results only show after a RESET.

Follow these EASY steps.

General Preferences> Power > turn Beam ON!

MUST Reset the phone. NO MORE GREEN LED!

I've believe the beam doesn't use much battery when it is not in use. If I look at the TREO BATTERY link graph when the Centro goes to REAL SLEEP, the battery meter dips to below 10 mA (beam probably auto shuts off when in sleep mode).

Post your results and tell me if i'm the MAN!

BTW you have to keep the beam on. Now I have to pass this to PALM

----
    Simply put

This is what I'm sure of.

If I turn off my BEAM. RESET. It will not SLEEP (green light stays on)

If I turn on my BEAM. RESET. It will SLEEP (Green light off)
    Last edited by mxl360; 06/26/2008 at 04:42 PM.
    Great stuff mxl360 (if it works). I'm doing this immediately. Like many others I don't have any love for non-sleeping Centro's. Thanks for posting this.

But I do have a napping... sorry, nagging feeling about this.
    A little explination here would help me out. Im new to all this and somewhat in the dark, but i promise that i am a quick learner, so just bear with me:

1.when you refer to SLEEP, are you refering to when one hits the red END key and the screen shuts off?
    2.is this BEAM ON solution regarding solving all centro battery drain issues, or is this something else specifically relating to the green LED light?
    thanks
    yeah I'm new here also and just got a centro. I would like to know what you're talking about before I do it.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    so what are you saying exactly?

are you claiming that if you turn the beam feature on, then if you reset your phone, the battery drains quickly and some how the green led is an indicator and so you should never have the beam feature turned to on and reset your phone?

not really sure what your saying here... seems like just turn off beam feature, until you need it - which is rare - and be done with it??? this is exactly why, for years, things like Power Hero have existed so you can set a timer to shut off the Beam feature... which means people have known the Beam is a battery drain for some time.
    Last edited by eTard; 06/26/2008 at 09:42 AM.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    so what are you saying exactly?

are you claiming that if you turn the beam feature on, then if you reset your phone, the battery drains quickly and some how the green led is an indicator and so you should never have the beam feature turned to on and reset your phone?

not really sure what your saying here... seems like just turn off beam feature, until you need it - which is rare - and be done with it??? this is exactly why, for years, things like Power Hero have existed so you can set a timer to shut off the Beam feature... which means people have known the Beam is a battery drain for some time.
    What I am saying is there seems to be a BUG ... with the BEAM being OFF, the CENTRO can not SLEEP

In treo battery... set your preferences to turn the LED on in "REM SLEEP" (rem sleep means it's not sleeping). Tap your power button (display off) and see if the LED stays green (wait 10 seconds). If the green LED stays it means it can't sleep. So now turn ON your BEAM and RESET. Now see if your LED will stay green. If it doesn't it means it is sleeping properly.
    Last edited by mxl360; 06/26/2008 at 11:01 AM.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    The Treo Battery app is something to emphasize here. It is a free downloadable app to monitor battery usage, for those who don't have it. It comes in handy I'd you happen to be having an issue with battery drain, I've used it a few times, It not a native app, nor something that many centro users might have I would think.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl360 View Post
    What I am saying is there seems to be a BUG ... with the BEAM being OFF, the CENTRO can not SLEEP

In treo battery... set your preferences to turn the LED on in "REM SLEEP" (rem sleep means it's not sleeping). Tap your power button (display off) and see if the LED stays green (wait 10 seconds). If the green LED stays it means it can't sleep. So now turn ON your BEAM and RESET. Now see if your LED will stay green. If it doesn't it means it is sleeping properly.
    okay.. this explanation made sense.

BUT... I have beam turned off, yes off as it is rarely used, and I cannot say that I report battery drain.

I will test this theory.. but the simple fact is that I do not notice much battery drain having beam set to off. but if your right, how ironic it would indeed be if a known power robbing function can be addresses by setting it to off only to have off make it worse.

UPDATE: I did exactly as you said here "In treo battery... set your preferences to turn the LED on in "REM SLEEP" (rem sleep means it's not sleeping). Tap your power button (display off) and see if the LED stays green (wait 10 seconds). If the green LED stays it means it can't sleep. So now turn ON your BEAM and RESET. Now see if your LED will stay green. If it doesn't it means it is sleeping properly."

well, after exactly 10 seconds or so, my green light went off! so, if I follow your theory, that should not have happened having beam set to off, my light should have stayed on.. but it did not... so beam set to off and my centro seems to enter correct sleep mode just as it should... so my test results do not jibe with your theory
    Last edited by eTard; 06/26/2008 at 12:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    okay.. this explanation made sense.

BUT... I have beam turned off, yes off as it is rarely used, and I cannot say that I report battery drain.

I will test this theory.. but the simple fact is that I do not notice much battery drain having beam set to off. but if your right, how ironic it would indeed be if a known power robbing function can be addresses by setting it to off only to have off make it worse.

UPDATE: I did exactly as you said here "In treo battery... set your preferences to turn the LED on in "REM SLEEP" (rem sleep means it's not sleeping). Tap your power button (display off) and see if the LED stays green (wait 10 seconds). If the green LED stays it means it can't sleep. So now turn ON your BEAM and RESET. Now see if your LED will stay green. If it doesn't it means it is sleeping properly."

well, after exactly 10 seconds or so, my green light went off! so, if I follow your theory, that should not have happened having beam set to off, my light should have stayed on.. but it did not... so beam set to off and my centro seems to enter correct sleep mode just as it should... so my test results do not jibe with your theory
    If you turn your BEAM ON ...then reset to test (results takes effect after resets). For example, If i turn my beam on... right now ... it CAN sleep, but after a RESET it wont.

Also if you did reset...and nothing happens then that's good, maybe your phone never had that defect. Let us know
    If you turn your BEAM ON ...then reset to test (results takes effect after resets). For example, If i turn my beam on... right now ... it CAN sleep, but after a RESET it wont.

Also if you did reset...and nothing happens then that's good, maybe your phone never had that defect. Let us know

Dude you dont' make any sense. I don't think anyone here knows what the hell you're talking about. You've flip floped stories twice now.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=arsenik;1454088]Dude you dont' make any sense. I don't think anyone here knows what the hell you're talking about. You've flip floped stories twice now.[/QUOTE

don't take it out of context. that was a reply to his post.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenik View Post
    Dude you dont' make any sense. I don't think anyone here knows what the hell you're talking about. You've flip floped stories twice now.
    I tend do agree... this is so convoluted not only that, that TreoBattery app has about as convoluted interface... I am not even sure WTF it is doing and trying to tell me in that charting. for example, this is a 1150 mah battery and this app is saying that at 100% it's charge is 1183. mah but estimated cap is only 1182 and the chart has red spikes and green lines and the current draw swings wild from massive - to + ....

Anyway, I did the reset method as well.... same results.. LIGHT WENT OFF!!

so dude, I think this is some issue with your phone and you think you narrowed it down and you did not. doing it both ways (reset and not reset) I blew your theory out of the water. if this little trick is even working for you, however you are doing it, and coming to these conslusions, you still have some 3rd party issue and it is not solved.
    Last edited by eTard; 06/26/2008 at 02:24 PM.
    I can't see how turning off beam will NOT allow the device to "fully sleep" - I've got beam off and don't have an issue with battery drain unless I turn on auto pdate, bluetooth, beam and the phone radio when the device is "sleeping".

I've been trying to follow this thread, but my head hurts....

Cheers ( I think),
    Kim
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Stop making these pronouncements that you've fixed the battery drain problem! Nothing short of a ROM upgrade will do that. You said that turning on IR beam reception and rebooting fixes it -- this is simply not true. It was the REBOOTING that fixed it, but only temporarily. The problem will come back as soon as the cause gets triggered (which I'm believing more and more that it's in the phone app).

This is on your system.

I have a Sprint Centro and I don't have this issue. I did your experiment. It is exactly the same for me with Beam ON and Beam OFF. I did reset between changing the setting.

The TreoBattery tool is interesting though. Really my Green LED only comes on when my Sprint Business Connection email is checking my email.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    The people replying... do anyone actually have the "REM SLEEP" problem?????
    mxl360,

I've tested all of the scenarios and my results don't match yours. I've turned the 'beam on' and beam off' and watched my phone go to sleep after the change. Furthermore, I've also changed both settings, performed a reset and my phone still went to sleep after the changes.

FWIW, I've never experienced a battery drain problem with my vzw centro. My suggestion is if you really want to isolate the problem download CleanStart. Use CleanStart to to iterate through your list of apps to identify the problem. I use CleanStart and I only notify apps on reset that absolutely need to in order to run.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I've isolated MY PROBLEM due to infared being off. I understand others are trying to recreate the problem... but never had the sleep issue to begin with. If you do not have Sleep issues to begin with. You don't need to test it...your centro is fine.

If you do have sleep issues... let us know if this fixed it.
    mx1360

I have also done this test on my Sprint Centro, and my results don't come close to your beam bug theory.

I never use beam, so it stays turned off. Now with Treo Battery app set to turn LED on for REM sleep, and beam off, my LED goes out in 10 seconds with screen off. With beam on, my LED goes out in 10 seconds with screen off. Indicating that my Centro is going to sleep. Not REM sleep, but sleep.

Now doing the same test with a reset after turning beam on, my Centro LED goes out after 10 seconds with screen off. Turning beam off followed by a reset, my LED goes out after 10 seconds with screen off.

The Treo Battery app graph goes below 10 mA when screen is off. Every way I run the test, my Centro is going to sleep. All tests were done with bluetooth on, headset off and phone radio on.

I think it is more likely that users with poor battery life have something else going on, like an app running in the background, the device on the cusp of signal/no signal or something left over in the RAM from a deleted application.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast