Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    mx1360

I have also done this test on my Sprint Centro, and my results don't come close to your beam bug theory.

I never use beam, so it stays turned off. Now with Treo Battery app set to turn LED on for REM sleep, and beam off, my LED goes out in 10 seconds with screen off. With beam on, my LED goes out in 10 seconds with screen off. Indicating that my Centro is going to sleep. Not REM sleep, but sleep.

Now doing the same test with a reset after turning beam on, my Centro LED goes out after 10 seconds with screen off. Turning beam off followed by a reset, my LED goes out after 10 seconds with screen off.

The Treo Battery app graph goes below 10 mA when screen is off. Every way I run the test, my Centro is going to sleep. All tests were done with bluetooth on, headset off and phone radio on.

I think it is more likely that users with poor battery life have something else going on, like an app running in the background, the device on the cusp of signal/no signal or something left over in the RAM from a deleted application.

So you never had the problem to begin with?
    sleep means just that the screen goes black when you hit the RED end button, correct?

is there something i need to be doing to "close out" an application (for example, web or googlemaps) after i am finished using it, when i return back to the home screen to use something else??
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatal99 View Post
    The Treo Battery app is something to emphasize here. It is a free downloadable app to monitor battery usage, for those who don't have it. It comes in handy I'd you happen to be having an issue with battery drain, I've used it a few times, It not a native app, nor something that many centro users might have I would think.
    I've been searching for a little more than 28 minutes and cannot find this infamous 'Treo Battery App'.

Anyone know where it might be found?

Carl
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quickster View Post
    I've been searching for a little more than 28 minutes and cannot find this infamous 'Treo Battery App'.

Anyone know where it might be found?

Carl
    http://mytreo.net/downloads/treo-battery,309.html
    Has anyone with a Verizon Centro seen the REM sleep issue? I haven't, and I use ChatterEmail and a bunch of other apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl360 View Post
    So you never had the problem to begin with?
    No, The original Centro purchased Oct 15th '07 with original 1100 mAh battery.

I did have an app called ServiceLED installed when I first got it. that app was sucking a lot of juice out of the battery. I got rid of that app and never has any battery issues after that.

Thank you very much,

Carl
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    I can't see that my AT&T Centro suffers from any type of problem with battery life. In fact, I would say that it is actually awesome in comparison to my expectations coming from some other Palm/Treos.

Does the AT&T Centro even suffer from this?

From what I gather, is this actually even a real problem or is it just a third party software issue?
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bh77a View Post
    From what I gather, is this actually even a real problem or is it just a third party software issue?
    bingo
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl360 View Post
    The people replying... do anyone actually have the "REM SLEEP" problem?????
    -Everyone- has the problem whether they realize it or not. I use the Treo Battery program to monitor current drain. With the Treo turned off it draws around 10 mA in normal sleep and 100 mA in REM sleep, hence the fast battery drain. If the Treo is in REM sleep, rebooting brings it back to normal sleep for a while until an event occurs that puts it back in REM sleep mode again (I suspect the event may be placing or receiving a phone call but I haven't done enough testing to say for sure).
    Today, even after 20 or so resets I could not get the Centro to sleep. I did what peterlemonjello suggested here; installed Clean Start and all, and even with everything disabled (ROM and panl applications enabled), got the same problem... There is the option in Clean Start "Nice Warm Reset" - that cleared the problem (on my Centro). I can't really understand what's happening. So, it's till next time this happens again.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckc192000 View Post
    -Everyone- has the problem whether they realize it or not. I use the Treo Battery program to monitor current drain. With the Treo turned off it draws around 10 mA in normal sleep and 100 mA in REM sleep, hence the fast battery drain. If the Treo is in REM sleep, rebooting brings it back to normal sleep for a while until an event occurs that puts it back in REM sleep mode again (I suspect the event may be placing or receiving a phone call but I haven't done enough testing to say for sure).
    sorry, but for me TreoBattery indicates that my Centro always goes from REM sleep to deep sleep within a few seconds. I've never noticed a persistent REM sleep problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    sorry, but for me TreoBattery indicates that my Centro always goes from REM sleep to deep sleep within a few seconds. I've never noticed a persistent REM sleep problem.
    Obviously, some (or many) of us appear to have Centros from a defective batch.

Now this makes sense... The surprisingly quick launch of the Centro in my country immediately after its US launch was probably to get rid of the the remaining batch of defective Centros. We are quiet used to being "palmed" defective merchandise as the customer protection mechanism is not too customer friendly.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    If you want to experiment the cause of the REM SLEEP, the most important thing to do after any change to the phone is to do a RESET.

I reset the phone each time after changing different settings/programs. Finally saw that my BEAM being off cause it (go figure). If I never reset the phone I would of never known.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Today, even after 20 or so resets I could not get the Centro to sleep. I did what peterlemonjello suggested here; installed Clean Start and all, and even with everything disabled (ROM and panl applications enabled), got the same problem... There is the option in Clean Start "Nice Warm Reset" - that cleared the problem (on my Centro). I can't really understand what's happening. So, it's till next time this happens again.
    A warm reset loads the operating system minus any type of system extension, ie a program that registers for notifications, such as a launcher, a program that runs in the background (TreoBattery, for example). Generally, if a software conflict is occurring this is a safe way to get into the system and delete the program. If software is causing this, you won't experience it now as the offending app isn't hooked into the system.

One major problem in this "warm reset" stage is that certain functionality doesn't work. For example, beaming, card access etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the phone radio doesn't function in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by bh77a View Post
    A warm reset loads the operating system minus any type of system extension, ie a program that registers for notifications, such as a launcher, a program that runs in the background (TreoBattery, for example). Generally, if a software conflict is occurring this is a safe way to get into the system and delete the program. If software is causing this, you won't experience it now as the offending app isn't hooked into the system.
    Of-course, but I suspect the REM sleep problem "clears" after a reset randomly - or at least I'm unable to make a connection as to what causes it.

Like mxl360, I have my own favourite theory... I think if I have BT on at reset, it causes it. Despite having evidence that is not true on each occassion this happens.

Now, since I got my Centro, I've had exactly the same software installed and there was no reason for it to ruin my yesterday's evening...
    it has been 4 days since I uninstalled 'keycaps600' to get rid of this rem sleep problem. I am happy to say that it's working. no more sleepless Centro :-)
  18. tsy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanujang View Post
    it has been 4 days since I uninstalled 'keycaps600' to get rid of this rem sleep problem. I am happy to say that it's working. no more sleepless Centro :-)
    This is real strange. I have an unlocked Centro filled with plenty of apps from my 650 and I have to say battery life is GOOD. The only time I found battery drain issues it was software related. For me it was callrec. Battery drain seems to be caused mainly by software constantly accessing the SDHC card.

Other culprits include any ring tone app that access mp3's from the SD card..
    I have a battery drain issue with Verizon:

I have found that when i turn the phone function off at night ("Verizon Wireless Goodbye"), in the morning, my centro's battery is drained. I usually charge it every other day and when i don't turn off the phone, it's fine. I can have it on all day with no problems. What's going to happen when i take a flight and need to turn the phone off?

Palm tech support suggested that I do a hard reset, turn the phone off and see what happens. Verizon said I had to leave the phone with them for 4+hours and they'll check it out (but they won't turn on another phone for me). I don't have time for either of these today, but I just wanted to put this out there and see if anyone else was having the same issue. I met a woman at the Verizon store who had just exchanged Centros because of battery drain.

Any advice or similar stories?
    Quote Originally Posted by tsy View Post
    This is real strange. I have an unlocked Centro filled with plenty of apps from my 650 and I have to say battery life is GOOD. The only time I found battery drain issues it was software related. For me it was callrec. Battery drain seems to be caused mainly by software constantly accessing the SDHC card.

Other culprits include any ring tone app that access mp3's from the SD card..
    i am using MagicTones by Hobbyist for my ringtone mgt which access mp3's from my sd card. no problem at all. the rem-sleep is no longer an issue. as of this moment, i am convinced that the culprit was Keycaps600.

My Centro still sleeps like a baby...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast