1.    #1  
    Just picked up my VZW Centro last Friday, it's fantastic so far!

Amazing how people (including myself) can get so excited about a new device, but then it's been happening to me since my Palm m105 back in 10th grade!

A couple quick questions here:

1. On my Palm m105, I used to use a launcher called Silver Screen. I see it's still around, but is it still worth it? Will it work on a Centro? Or, is there a better alternative? What I really want is Silver Screen's Detail view, since the Palm OS only has Icon and List views, and I prefer the Detail.

2. I also own a Palm TX (which I bought around Xmas because the Centro was only on Sprint and AT&T at the time), and I got a free keyboard with it. It's the Palm foldable keyboard. Will it work with the Centro? I ended up getting the TX and the free keyboard for around $100, and I only bought it for mobile web browsing (mainly to view websites, as I'm a web designer), so I'm a little out of the Palm culture.

3. I have the latest JVM and the Opera Mini 4.1 beta browser ready to HotSync (as soon as I get home from work, to be exact), but there seems to be some contradiction between forums I've been reading. With the latest JVM and OM 4.1b, do any settings have to be tweaked in either the JVM or OM settings to stop it from crashing? I already installed the 4.1 final version the other day, and I can't even go to a single webpage without it crashing (Bring on Firefox Mobile already!!).

Thanks for any assistance!
    #1 - still there and updated, but not widely used. There are others that are better supported.

#2 - Yes but download the latest software for it.

#3 - a bit of reading will answer this question. The answer though is yes, pay a bit of attention to the settings and it will be more stable, but not something to write home about.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjust View Post

3. I have the latest JVM and the Opera Mini 4.1 beta browser ready to HotSync (as soon as I get home from work, to be exact), but there seems to be some contradiction between forums I've been reading. With the latest JVM and OM 4.1b, do any settings have to be tweaked in either the JVM or OM settings to stop it from crashing? I already installed the 4.1 final version the other day, and I can't even go to a single webpage without it crashing (Bring on Firefox Mobile already!!).

Thanks for any assistance!
    Where did you get the JVM from?
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    They have one in the downloads section on the mytreo.com website.
  5.    #5  
    My Opera Mini 4.1 beta is running great on the newest JVM now.

@bclinger where can I find better launchers, and would any happen to be free?
    There are tons or rather bunches of launchers. The popular ones include ZLauncher (www.zztechs.com) and Initiate (www.hobbyistsoftware.com) and there are even 3 or so pop-up launchers. I use ZLauncher and Launch-Anywhere.

What do you wish to accomplish with the launcher? Do you want pretty back ground pictures? launching from the card? voice dialing, and other fun things?
  7.    #7  
    Honestly, all I really want in a launcher is maybe a somewhat nicer interface, but I'm not a big fan of the icon view, I like my detail view. I tried TouchLauncher, and I may buy it (it looks damn nice, and I love the ability to use your own icons and names), but I'm curious about how much memory it uses to achieve its effects. It's running rather smoothly on my Centro
    Honestly, all I really want in a launcher is maybe a somewhat nicer interface, but I'm not a big fan of the icon view, I like my detail view. I tried TouchLauncher, and I may buy it (it looks damn nice, and I love the ability to use your own icons and names), but I'm curious about how much memory it uses to achieve its effects. It's running rather smoothly on my Centro
    For small size, simplicity and an improved interface have a look at TreoLauncher

http://mytreo.net/downloads/treo-launcher,1116.html

More info in this thread

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=131227
    Last edited by johncc; 06/25/2008 at 08:35 PM. Reason: added thread link
    If you like detail view to launch apps, you might want to try Resco explorer. Besides a list view launcher, it also offers lots more other things, like back up, cache flush, file handling, mp3 player and more!

Cheers,
    Kim
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    I also experienced Opera Mini 4.1 stability issues and have since downgraded back to 4.0. Everything works fine there except for the occasional garbled screens asking me if I wish to connect to the internet. You'd think they get it right already? Version 4 (4 or more iterations of the software build) and all that...