Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is kind of BS....

Google and Palm just released a new version of Google maps with the location feature (not GPS, using tower triangulation)....

You can download it to your 700P....but it won't let you use the location feature unless you have a Centro! I don't think there's anything about the Centro hardware that enables this feature...

Kind of a ripoff, unless there's a hardware reason for this.

Ugh.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I saw this too. I think it is an artificial "limitation". There is no reason why this can't work on the 700p other than they want you to upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foobarsky View Post
    This is kind of BS....

Kind of a ripoff, unless there's a hardware reason for this.

Ugh.
    Ripoff? This got a laugh out of me. I don't remember ever paying for Google Maps.

Just so ya feel better, I downloaded and installed GM 2.0.2.0 and My Location is not currently supported on a Sprint Centro either...

Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    ...Just so ya feel better, I downloaded and installed GM 2.0.2.0 and My Location is not currently supported on a Sprint Centro either...

Huh??? So it only works on VZW centros?
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Huh??? So it only works on VZW centros?
    Yeah, Apparently only on Verizon and ATT Centros currently.

It looks like since the Sprint Centro came out first, it needs a software update that the ATT and Verizon Centros got prior to their release.

Sprint is suppose to release a Centro update sometime soon.

I hope they do another 755p update so we can port it to the 700p again.
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    I hope they do another 755p update so we can port it to the 700p again.
    Me too!
    Shows me in Yonkers NY instead of Annapolis MD?

Is verizon fiddling with their cellphone data?
    Is Verizon headquartered in Yonkers?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    It works again, showing me in Annap. MD!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    My Location will never be available for "older Treos" according to Google, especially CDMA versions.
    "Unfortunately, older Palm models such as the Treos don't have the APIs needed to get the cell tower data, so My Location is not available on these models." http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/200...your-palm.html

There is a GSM program that some users have had success with for location triangulation. http://www.razix.net/mloc/

However, the new version will allow "older Treos" to see new hybrid views, provide a improved interface for searching, and an improved scrolling step-by-step than can be copied to the clipboard.

So the update seems to be worth it but do not expect My Location to work unless you have a Centro.
    Apple Newton/Palm III/Palm V/Treo 180/Treo 300/Treo 650/Treo 700/Treo 755
    LOL

Thats bull! I guess they are trying to phase us Treo owners out in favor of the newer more hip Centro owners.

Sprint has a my location feature already implemeted and it works with the Ttreo 650/700p/755p.

Its called "Sprint family locator" and it already does this. (sometimes accurate down to a block and other times like half a mile)

I truthfully beleive they are just trying to phase out anything other than A centro to bring in more cash. If thats the case its time for a class action. I love my Treos but being left out just to make more money on selling more devices! THAT DOESNT PLAY.

Sorry about the rant but I hate it when people try and feed me bull when they really have an alterior motive.
    palm/sprint/google have no responsibility to you apart from what they have been providing as a part of the contract you signed when you signed up, as well as, likely, reasonable expectations of what the technology can do at the time of purchase.

Dude...there were no expectations of your phone working with every new technology when you bought it...what matters is if the phone works for what it was supposed to...and this google maps new feature was utterly unknown when we bought our 700p phones. Even if they *can* make it work, and they choose not to, you still have no grounds for a lawsuit. You can't sue because "Jimmy got 2 cookies and you only got one."

Be reasonable, and drop the envy: you'll be a lot happier if you did. It's worked for me.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I hope there is some dilligent soul who can hack this for us.

I would consider updating to Centro but:
    -Screen too small. (over 40)
    -Keyboard too small.
    -No standard sized SD card ( I use SD card in my 700 P like a thumb drive. I always have it with me but no anoying keychain thumbdrive or adapter to carry around. I am pocket junk averse.)
    -Less battery life.

If only....
    A 70X P with same width, height, screen size (or wide screen), same keyboard, same sd slot, same (or better battery life.) Lose the antenna bump, slightly less thick, slightly lighter.
    A fella can dream can't he.
    Good luck.

Thats just a ploy to not support anything but the current model (ie Centro) to Try and get people to buy another device.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I'm offering to put $20 into the jackpot to the first hacker who can hack the GMM location features onto at least the 755p and, preferably, the 700p & 755p. Someone needs to make everyone aware that Palm is lying through their teeth and just trying to artifically create a gap betwene the Centro & the Palm OS Treos in order to push everyone to rush out and purchase a Centro.

Heck, it would behoove Google to have as many Palm OS users using their app as possible....Palm likely leaned on Google and/or refused to provide the proper support to certify anything other than the Treos to work with GMM. Palm did this same trick several years as they snuffed the life out of the PDA line in order to get people to purchase higher-margin Treos + data plans. What a racket!
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    I'm offering to put $20 into the jackpot to the first hacker who can hack the GMM location features onto at least the 755p and, preferably, the 700p & 755p. Someone needs to make everyone aware that Palm is lying through their teeth and just trying to artifically create a gap betwene the Centro & the Palm OS Treos in order to push everyone to rush out and purchase a Centro.

Heck, it would behoove Google to have as many Palm OS users using their app as possible....Palm likely leaned on Google and/or refused to provide the proper support to certify anything other than the Treos to work with GMM. Palm did this same trick several years as they snuffed the life out of the PDA line in order to get people to purchase higher-margin Treos + data plans. What a racket!
    Is this your conspiracy theory or did you get it from someone else?

this whole "corporations are evil and nefarious" thing is interesting. I certainly used to subscribe to it...and then I started reading some economics (sowell's 'basic economics' is grest) and it eased a bit of my vitriol and worry over a corporation's actual "power" over consumers.

my worry over the government's power (especially in the realm of granting monopoly power...which is the only real time you have a monopoly) has grown exponentially, however...so maybe everyone should just keep on directing their anger at companies and trusting politicians in order to maximize their happiness.
    lol

I dont think there are conspiracy theories. Like always greed and money= root of all evil. Make a buck rather than do something to help anyone else but yourself.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Look, guys, this is nothing like faking the moon landing or that Palm are gonna pull a Wal-Mart and snuff out American-made products & mom'n pop stores.

It's just what happens when a company becomes arrogant, greedy, complacent, and, perhaps most prescient given Palm's current struggles, desperate.

The Centro is essentially a cheapened-down, downsized Treo. Its hardware specs are nearly identical to the 755p & 700p. So of course Palm is going to do whatever it can to make the "newest & hottest" seem diffferentiated from the old products. Palm have even gone on record to state that the Treo line will be WinMob-only from here on, so the 755p is sort of a dead smartphone walking (ie the last of its kind).

But look at Nokia's N8xx series of Internet tablets. They have all kinds of FREE, feature-laden updates offered for those devices. These aren't just bugfixes, but rather comprehensive new ROM updates that add new functionality and improve existing features. Sony's regular PS3 & PSP updates are another. Palm's Treo line sells as a higher cost and likely has higher margins than all of the above devices...and in the case of the Nokia tablets, Treos sell in far greater numbers.

It's one thing to be an enormous corporation (Sony, Nokia, Microsoft etc) who can afford to give free regular updates to their devices

It's another thing to be a smaller tech firm and/or have a lower-margin device and charge a small bit for the update (see the iPod Touch updates Apple sells).

But for a company like Palm to mysteriously continue to refuse to offer software that customers would be gladly willing to pay for is just beyond me. For example, how many OS 5.x Palm device owners would pay $10 to $20 for a licensed, supported, stable Graffiti 1 plug-in? I know I would! How many Palm TX owners would pay for updated phone drivers/CDMA functionality for BT DUN? I know I would! How many TX owners, content with their devices, would pay palm $5 or $10 for an SDHC driver so they can use large capacity cards? I know I would! Why doesn't Palm offer Blazer 4.5.8 and VersaMail 4.0 for purchase by Treo 700p, 680, & 650 users? Because they'd rather sell them a Centro instead of $20 worth of software updates...but in their stubborn hubris, Palm'll likely just end up losing one customer after another.

Palm doesn't care about their customers, plain & simple. They also don't care about the developer community, which is precisely why Garnet is a rotting corpse of an OS and new releases for the platform can be counted on one hand. Just ask a seasoned developer how aggravating and costly it was to follow, for example, the changes Palm made in how the DIA was handled between the T3, T5, LifeDrive and TX. Palm only care about selling as many of whatever their current "hot" product of the moment is. If it were not for the carriers leaning on them, it's doubtful they'd ever release any ROM updates (look at how Palm let the T5, 650, LifeDrive, 700p etc ship in such shoddy condition). Palm got a enormous chip on their shoulder after their huge IPO in 2000 and the high-flying late 90s and have never looked back.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    If the my location issue is just a lack of API's, why can't we have an update to load them on a 7xx?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast