1.    #1  
    So, I just took the plunge and replaced my 650 with a Centro. I thought I could copy my SD card from the 650 to the microSD card for the Centro, run BackupBuddy, and have everything transferred. Apparently this is not to be.

Does anyone know if there is a way for me to do this? If not, is there a way for me to transfer my contacts from the 650 to the Centro?

Thanks in advance!
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
  2.    #2  
    Another option would be for me to just beam my contacts from my 650 to the new Centro. The only problem is the reason I got a new phone is because the screen severely cracked and I can't see anything.

Does anyone know the button presses I could do blind to beam them over?
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
    I switched over last week. I've been through about 4 650s, so I had this method down pat. Luckily, it worked from the 650 to the Centro also. Use Resco Explorer, Filez, or some other software to locate CalendarDB-Pdat, MemosDB-Pmem, TasksDB-Ptod, & ContactsDB-PAdd, and beam them, BT them, or Hotsync them to your new Centro. For some reason, I found if you use Palm Desktop for backup, Hotsync will not back these up unless you manually set them to backup. Anyway, this works with most programs you want to transfer, except those that have hidden settins or DB which you don't know to transfer. Works for me. Good Luck.

*Well, that's what I get for not reading your second post. If you've done a backup to a SD card, you can put that in you desktop, and those files should be on the card. Same transfer system with IR, or just hotsync them.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    if you follow the upgrade process on their website, it is flawless (assumming your local desktop app has tghe latest files). I did this and it worked perfect. All I had to carry over 1 by 1 (safest way) was some DB and misc apps. The upgrade process will carry over contacts, calendars, notes, tasks, memos just fine. like I said, I did it perfect.

read this
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rogersmith00 View Post
    I switched over last week. I've been through about 4 650s, so I had this method down pat. Luckily, it worked from the 650 to the Centro also. Use Resco Explorer, Filez, or some other software to locate CalendarDB-Pdat, MemosDB-Pmem, TasksDB-Ptod, & ContactsDB-PAdd, and beam them, BT them, or Hotsync them to your new Centro. For some reason, I found if you use Palm Desktop for backup, Hotsync will not back these up unless you manually set them to backup. Anyway, this works with most programs you want to transfer, except those that have hidden settins or DB which you don't know to transfer. Works for me. Good Luck.

*Well, that's what I get for not reading your second post. If you've done a backup to a SD card, you can put that in you desktop, and those files should be on the card. Same transfer system with IR, or just hotsync them.
    Roger, what I thought I'd be able to do was just go into my backup folder on the 650's card using a card reader, pull it out, and replace the PhoneCallDB pdb in the Centro's backup folder with the 650s. For some reason this did not work.

How can you pull the files from the 650 to the Palm Desktop? I tried the import function in PD, but was unable to access PhoneCallDB.

I'm sure there is a way to do all of this, but it is difficult being hampered with a completely FUBAR'd screen on the 650.

Alternatively, I'm not opposed to finding a program that can display my old PhoneCallDB file in a text format so I can simply input each number. It would take a while...but it's better than not having them!

Thanks for the help.
  6.    #6  
    Well, I'm stupid. I was transferring the call log instead of my contacts database. Live and learn...

Thanks for the help.
  7.    #7  
    OK, so I got home and figured I could pull the ContactsDB off the card from my 650 and copy it to my Centro. No such luck. Apparently the file ends with .pdb.cmp. Is there any way to get it back to .pdb? Any other way that I can manually push this into the Centro?

Sorry for sounding like a broken record...
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    why did/do you not just do what I posted in post #4 and be done with it. get all your contacts, and categories, moved over???
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    why did/do you not just do what I posted in post #4 and be done with it. get all your contacts, and categories, moved over???
    Well, I almost never used HotSync with my 650. There are many reasons for this, one being that my PC stopped recognizing the phone...even after trying all of the repair processes listed on this site. Not being able to see the screen on the 650 is also a little frustrating, but probably wouldn't be a problem with HotSync.

I tried HotSynching the 650 this evening, and it still won't work...so now I'm just stuck.
    I"m in the same situation as you frank. My 650 was hardly ever recognized on my vista pc. So today I received my centro and I am currently in the process of moving my data via NVBackup...I hope that'll work
    You should be able to just rename the files, remove the extra extentions or whatever, and transfer it. A backup program I used one time, I forget which, put a bunch of letters and numbers after the name of the thing. I just renamed it back to what it was supposed to be, and moved the file. It worked fine. Just like you can rename a executable program.exe.ren, email it to someone to get past filters, then rename it back to use it. Give it a try. Right click on the file on your card, Rename, fix the name, then hit enter. Move the file. If it screws up, just Hard reset your Centro to return it to normal.
  12.    #12  
    You should be able to just rename the files, remove the extra extentions or whatever, and transfer it. A backup program I used one time, I forget which, put a bunch of letters and numbers after the name of the thing. I just renamed it back to what it was supposed to be, and moved the file. It worked fine. Just like you can rename a executable program.exe.ren, email it to someone to get past filters, then rename it back to use it. Give it a try. Right click on the file on your card, Rename, fix the name, then hit enter. Move the file. If it screws up, just Hard reset your Centro to return it to normal.
    This was exactly my thinking. When I did that, it seemed to corrupt the data and totally hosed the Centro.

I'm thinking about going to the Sprint store, asking if they have a 650 I can borrow for a second, put my card in, restore, then beam the contacts to the Centro.

Hopefully this works as I don't have my contacts written down anywhere. Plus, I've had the 650 (or another 650) for a little more than 3 years. That's a lot of contacts!
    Etard's suggestion wasn't doable due to the cracked screen?
  14.    #14  
    Etard's suggestion wasn't doable due to the cracked screen?
    No, I've just always had difficulty syncing my 650 with my computer. In the past, I've uninstalled Palm Desktop, reinstalled it, reset the settings for HotSync on my PC, etc. Nothing ever seemed to work. It just seemed like it would refuse to acknowledge my 650 as a Palm device.

I did try it again last night, but still no luck. I'll give it another go tonight, but I'm not too hopeful.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    HEY.... I just remembered.. why did they not do this for you when you bought the phone??

I recall now they took my 650, hooked it up to that machine that transfers and moved all my contacts in about 2 minutes. go back and have them do it. that is all they can move, you can move the rest with a combo of a backup program and Palm Desktop.

as for the Palm Desktop... first, a cracked screen would not stop any hotsync. also, you want to get this hotsync Palm desktop issue squared away. part of the point here is the ability to backup and use it from your desktop. you were given a new CD with a new Palm Desktop that you install over the old one. Did you do that? it does not seem so as you do not mention having installed the latest CD you got.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    HEY.... I just remembered.. why did they not do this for you when you bought the phone??

I recall now they took my 650, hooked it up to that machine that transfers and moved all my contacts in about 2 minutes. go back and have them do it. that is all they can move, you can move the rest with a combo of a backup program and Palm Desktop.

as for the Palm Desktop... first, a cracked screen would not stop any hotsync. also, you want to get this hotsync Palm desktop issue squared away. part of the point here is the ability to backup and use it from your desktop. you were given a new CD with a new Palm Desktop that you install over the old one. Did you do that? it does not seem so as you do not mention having installed the latest CD you got.
    eTard, I'll definitely head back to the store. The rep had said all he could do was "beam" my contacts over...but couldn't do so b/c of the cracked screen. Chances are he just wanted to get out of there since it was closing time.

Palm Desktop and HotSync work beautifully with the new Centro and I am using it faithfully. It just never worked with the 650. Now that the 650 will be an unattractive paper weight, I have no need to fix this issue if I can get the contacts over to the Centro by another method.

Thanks for your help.