1.    #1  
    Hello All,

Just got a Verizon Centro and a SanDisk 6 GB card. The Centro only recognizes that there is 1.8 GB of free space on it. I thought I remembered that is is supposed to support up to 4 GB but people have done fine with 6 and 8 GB cards also, and that the Centro just doesn't recognize that there is more space on the card but will still write to the disk after passing the 4 GB mark.

I have searched the Centro forums and can't find an answer, though I do remember reading something about this last year when the Centro came out on Sprint.

Any thoughts on why it's only recognizing this odd amount of disk space and what can be done to fix it? I've tried re-formatting the card and re-inserting it several times and that does not help either.

Thanks,

ctrain1
    There have been a lot of discussions on this and the summary is that 6GB and 8GB cards mostly work but are not really supported by Palm OS.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    The Centro seems to divide the card into 4gb increments. So, if you have a 6gb card, with 2gb of stuff in it (for example), you should have 4gb space left. But, in the Centros case, it only sees the first 4gb so it says you only have 2gb left and not 4gb like you actually do.

No problem there. If you fill it up to 4gb, you'd have 2gb space left and the Centro would rightly recognize that.

I've got an 8gb card and that's what happened. I filled it up with 3.5gb worth of stuff and it said I only had .5gb left. When I added more stuff like 2gb worth of music/vids, it then said I had about 2.5gb of free space. That's all there is to it.
  4.    #4  
    Ah.... I see. Thanks for that explanation. It makes more sense now. I'm adding several gigs of music to the card now so I should see it change as more goes on the card. I also can't believe how much faster the transfer rate is than with my 700p. It used to take 8-10 hrs to transfer 4 gigs of music. Looks like this might take only an hour or two. Nice!!!!
    Why not use a card reader to transfer the music...it's probably quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrain1 View Post
    Ah.... I see. Thanks for that explanation. It makes more sense now. I'm adding several gigs of music to the card now so I should see it change as more goes on the card. I also can't believe how much faster the transfer rate is than with my 700p. It used to take 8-10 hrs to transfer 4 gigs of music. Looks like this might take only an hour or two. Nice!!!!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I agree with the card reader. Large transfers should only take minutes.
  7.    #7  
    Actually I use Rhapsody To Go to transfer music so I don't technically own it, I just pay the monthly fee to be able to take the songs with me on my Centro. I don't think a card reader would work in this situation, would it?
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Actually I use Rhapsody To Go to transfer music so I don't technically own it, I just pay the monthly fee to be able to take the songs with me on my Centro. I don't think a card reader would work in this situation, would it?
    No, you're right... you can't use a card reader for "rental" music.

So the data transfer speed is really significanly faster? I stopped using Yahoo Music to go because it took so long getting music onto my Treo.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
  9.    #9  
    it is unbelievably faster than my 700p (we're talking HOURS faster on several gigs of music transfer). maybe I just had a crappy 700p?!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    it is unbelievably faster than my 700p (we're talking HOURS faster on several gigs of music transfer). maybe I just had a crappy 700p?!
    Nah, the Centro seems snappier than my 680 as well.